Good news for me...so please help!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jself1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
South Carolina
Ok, really wanting to get into the 4dtv thing...tell me what I should do next. I got an aunt who has a 10' black mesh dish, w/ a feedhorn that has channel master written on it, she hasn't used it in oh some 5-7 years (she thinks :confused: ) however when she changed to cable it worked perfect, and they never had anyproblems with it at all. She said I could have it and the receiver if I just pay someone to move it. So...

The receiver is a Uniden receiver, one that the remote had a call button and you arrowed over to the sat, etc, etc (if this helps)

Now what do I need to do to get this thing moved (about 45 miles away) and running til I can at least upgrade to 4dtv?

How would I upgrade it to 4dtv?

What do I do if it doesn't work now when they get it here at my home?

How would I set it up? And how would I set it up to get 4dtv and would know if it is KU band ready...please help someone!!!!! :D :D :D

suggest you begin with the faq ist

jself1982 said:
Ok, really wanting to get into the 4dtv thing...tell me what I should do next. I got an aunt who has a 10' black mesh dish, w/ a feedhorn that has channel master written on it, she hasn't used it in oh some 5-7 years (she thinks :confused: ) however when she changed to cable it worked perfect, and they never had anyproblems with it at all. She said I could have it and the receiver if I just pay someone to move it. So...

The receiver is a Uniden receiver, one that the remote had a call button and you arrowed over to the sat, etc, etc (if this helps)

Now what do I need to do to get this thing moved (about 45 miles away) and running til I can at least upgrade to 4dtv?

How would I upgrade it to 4dtv?

What do I do if it doesn't work now when they get it here at my home?

C
How would I set it up? And how would I set it up to get 4dtv and would know if it is KU band ready...please help someone!!!!! :D :D :D

Chances are if it is working where it is now, it will not be difficult to set it up 50 mi away...you are luckysince it is only 45 mi away so most settings will be pretty close...so it is best not to take it apart f possible

the logistics are up (moving it hopefully in one piece to preserve the current settings for look angle, focal length etc! to you and if you can, it is best not to take it apart...There will be some work to prep your new site also!

Please read the faq...it will prepare you for what is ahead, and it will be well worth it!..1ST CHORE IS TO GET THE CURRENT ANALOG RECEIVER/DISH WORKING...Time for the sack...check with ya tomorrow when the wine where off:D

The are LOTS OF GOOD LINKS AND INFO in the FAQ TO GET YOU READY FOR WHAT IS COMING...SITE SURVEY IS THE START AND FINDING TRUE NORTH/SOUTH IS IMPERATIVE... if you can salvage the pole that would help...Jack hammer????:D
Later
jeff

Last edited:
Thanks, how do I tell if it is KU ready or do they all come w/ the option to switch between C/Ku?

If I do find a dealer to move it for me, what is a resonable price for him to do it and setup here at my home?

OT: NOT fair!!! Avatar envy!!!

dfergie said:
The receiver should have a button both on the remote and the unit itself that will say C/Ku plus the dish will have 2 Lnb's, One Larger than the other...

Yo...Mr. Defergie...I was going to use that avatar!!! Called mancat and is animated!:D :D :D

Have you seen the penguins...where one knocks the other into the water....:)

regards
Jeff

gizzer777 said:
Yo...Mr. Defergie...I was going to use that avatar!!! Called mancat and is animated!:D :D :D

Have you seen the penguins...where one knocks the other into the water....:)

regards
Jeff

you mean this one:

Attachments

• myspace-codes-animations-30.gif
    myspace-codes-animations-30.gif
    388 KB · Views: 199
Yep...Ain't computers great!

cablewithaview said:
you mean this one:

Yep...that's the one! When I firest saw it I laughed mt but off!!!:D

People who come up with this stuff are really funny!
Regards
jeff

Yes it does have a C/Ku button, but does this mean it is setup for it? Just wanted to make sure me getting this thing moved is going to be a good thing and not a bad thing....would hate to have to do a lot of upgrades.....I just want 4dtv! :D

As Defergie )I think said)

You might want to check for a Ku band LNB also (there would be 2 LNB's on the feedhorn!...let us know what LNB's it has...4DTV is marginal without a decent LNB like Norstat or Eagle Aspen quality...stay away from el cheapos as even if you are pretty close to the Sat's center footprint...you will have sparkles in the pic...also stability and rating in degrees Kelvin are important (15-17deg Kelvin-C band!!!)...the hotterr it gets outside....the more you need low temp/stable LNB's!

Most of the Subs like HBO, Max, Sho, siscovery, Starz etc are on C Band...you can always add a corotor II and ku LNB later

Check out www.callnps.com...sat maps, sub prices etc!

Let us know what is inside that feedhorn so we can help you!:)
Regards
Jeff

Last edited:
Here's what happened to me. My brother gave me his 10' mesh dish. It's now setup, but the dish is the ONLY original item.

C/ku feedhorn plus 2 cheapie lnbs (Eagle Aspens) that work fine: 110 bucks

New cables from dish to house: 70 bucks

pole from junkyard: 14 bucks

dsr922 from ebay: 360 bucks (a little risky, but cheaper than retail)

1yr sub to NPS' cheapest digital package: 200 bucks

Total up front: 754

Knowing I'm only paying 18/mo forever, I can get the occasional ballgame, free music channels, and no monoplistic cable/dish company can rip me off: Priceless.

NICE find!!!

Yeah...I upgraded my LNB and went 4dtv about 13 yrs ago! Never looked back! I am paying $105 per year for all starz (inc HD) + $50 per year for HD Discovery....plus all the free stuff + feeds up there!

I had put a co rotor II on about 7 yrs ago w/Norstat .6db Ku LNB to try Sat Internet...BLEH too expensive!

Now I use that KU jobbie for FTA!!!:D There is More KU BUD stuff up there, but not my type of programming...I GUESS I HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLSD! 4DTV + FTA is unbeatable!!!

As one of my neighbors said..."It is alive"....since it was parked on G1 for years...now it is hard at work and scanning the Clarke belt once again:D

What a PKG....LET EM EAT PIZZA!):D

JEFF

Last edited:
Haven't got the 4dtv yet here, but what wild feeds are left, is it still quite a few or do you just scan all the sat's daily to see what's on...?

Does anyone have a good detailed channel chart of whats still out there?

use the link we have given

jself1982 said:
Haven't got the 4dtv yet here, but what wild feeds are left, is it still quite a few or do you just scan all the sat's daily to see what's on...?

Does anyone have a good detailed channel chart of whats still out there?

Please use the link callnps.com and then you scan...You will see a sat map with certain "occasional feeds" listed....

Do not wish to appear harsh but you really need to use the links....that is half the fun!:)

You never know...By mentioning some...they could be pulled or moved...AGAIN...PLZ SEE THE FAQ!

Setup, links, maint, channel maps are all there and many of us spent a lot of time putting the info there for new arrivals!!:D

Jeff

Last edited:
dfergie said:
Yeah I could not shrink the GIF and make it work...and yup seen the penquins :)

A shrunken version is attached, enjoy...

Attachments

• mancat125.gif
    mancat125.gif
    59.9 KB · Views: 177
oh no!

hwh said:

I thought we had Defergie stumped, and he would give up the avatar!:D <sigh> :devil:

I suppose I will have to go hunting again...never had any luck posting an animated avatar and when I enquired in the general forum...got no answer!:confused:

Later
jeff

gizzer777 said:
...never had any luck posting an animated avatar and when I enquired in the general forum...got no answer!
They upload the same as any other custom avatar. I just switched to the mancat for a few minutes and then back to my avatar. It worked fine. There is a note in the control panel that seems to say only pub members can have animated avatars, maybe that's it.

hwh said:
Thanks... I appreciate it:)( the avatar may be me or rather I may resemble the avatar in a few hours after I pass the being up for 24 Hours mark in about an hour and a half) :D I have another Gif on one of my other Pc's I may use... Back Ot... My uniden has the C/ Ku button and is how I change (lost the remote but am trying a universal)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)