Status
Please reply by conversation.

gardo403

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
S.E. Wisconsin
This is one for the old-timer 4dtver's

Back when 4dtv first came out was the download guide always done on G1-3?

I've got a 922 that has OLD firmware still.. I want to say EA... I could never get it to DL the guide automatically. I had move dish for updates enabled too even powered down. (not going to want to do that anymore coax has been cut since 12-15).

I was just wondering if It was done differantly back then... Trickle down or Massive downlaod

None of this really matters any more, just wondering mainly for w5/x4 guide in the future... Will I have problems if the guide is ever enabled on w5/x4 or if I change to a w5 only 922

The 4DTV has always used the "d" Dump mode vs the "n" Network mode (HITS & Starchoice). The home satellite used to be G-10. EA firmware wow your very lucky no ratings ceilings bug :) Wonder how EA will work with "n" mode?

Wonder how EA will work with "n" mode?

EA code was for ratings info and would not affect anything with the way the guide was being sent.
Star Choice guide was always classified as "trickle down".
Once everything is out of the data stream in regards to the Motorola shutdown anyone with EA code will have a nice receiver for viewing anything with no ratings info being sent out unlike those with EC who will only be able to view it for 10-15 minutes.

EA code was for ratings info and would not affect anything with the way the guide was being sent.
Star Choice guide was always classified as "trickle down".
Once everything is out of the data stream in regards to the Motorola shutdown anyone with EA code will have a nice receiver for viewing anything with no ratings info being sent out unlike those with EC who will only be able to view it for 10-15 minutes.

Gotta find that address in EC and patch it with EA. You been around forever with 4D Stargaze. Why exactly did GI put the RC bug in EC. I have heard conflicting stories. I understand EA had a bug with audio sync that why EC came out but why the RC bug? :confused: Was the RC a hammer so we don't watch? or because of blackouts.

Thanks for all of the input!

Re: the old gi guide download the only way I ever saw any auto dump of the guide was when I used the sleep mode to turn it off (under options) the next morning it would be there. Or I could simply press "guide" unit would want to be on g1 then It would DL a few hours of info...

So what right! It's gonna be turned off for good come 1-4-2010

Come to think of it I never noticed the ratings nag on ITC stuff. Having something old is good for something I guess!!

Now what will it do in 2011, time will tell....

Yes, there is audio sync issue I have noticed after viewing awhile. A channel rock fixes that...

Yes, there is audio sync issue I have noticed after viewing awhile. A channel rock fixes that...

Ya EC fixed that but then added the RC bug. GI/Motorola what a messed up company. Although GI was 4D friendly Motorola never was. They should have never made the 4D without us having access to what we want to watch when and where. Thats the whole fun thing about the bud hobby, tuning into cool finds. Now some smart cookies are going to have to reverse engineer GI's code and put those features in.

You been around forever with 4D Stargaze. Why exactly did GI put the RC bug in EC. I have heard conflicting stories. I understand EA had a bug with audio sync that why EC came out but why the RC bug? :confused: Was the RC a hammer so we don't watch? or because of blackouts.

I always knew it as RI (Ratings Info).

Sport blackouts was the official answer. It was when they were getting ready to offer the sport packages that were up around 103*W at the time. That was quite awhile back. I do remember watching everything on the 920 while the 922 had several of those channels in the blackout mode.
(My 920 was fully turned on by GI at the very beginning of things back in 1996-97).
That update was a piece of cake compared to what they tried with the 074 or 076 version they wanted to shove down our throats on the 920/921 4d receivers which would have rendered those receivers useless as FTA receivers. Canadians received it first then they came out with an update to undo parts of it after so many complaints. I do remember sending several key people the e-mail addresses of all the higher-ups at Motorola at that time and they were plastered all over the net for people to send them e-mails complaining.
I still have most of that info on another computer someplace. It is not in front of me right now.

So did they do pull the Rating bit to black out an event? I wonder how hard that would be to correct in the firmware and reload.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)