Good OTA antenna?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jeffdillard

Original poster
Jan 9, 2020
Louisiana
Can anyone make a suggestion for a good outdoor OTA antenna. One I can buy from amazon or walmart or even a vendor here on the forums?

I live in a very rural. I already have a pole up that I used to have a yagi antenna up for internet. That antenna is no longer in use. Would prefer something I could turn electronically, but not a priority.

There is no way to recommend an antenna without more information. I suggest going to rabbitears.info where you can input your address, select a desired antenna height, then their database will display a list of stations including their frequency, strength, direction, etc. From that an informed decision can be made. This is the best site of this type many pros use it. If you leave your zip code that works too, a report can be run. Avoid cheap mass marketed plastic covered antennas, and omnidirectional antennas (for most locations). Good old school US companies like Winegard, Channel Master, Denny's Antenna Service, Stellar Labs, and some others are the way to go.

Click this link, and follow the directions to find your house, then zoom in exactly where you propose to place your antenna. See how signals are from your local stations. Then post the results here. THEN we can give proper advice. RabbitEars.Info

Also, here's some info that will help your ultimate decision for antenna installation: Installing a DTV antenna

Click this link, and follow the directions to find your house, then zoom in exactly where you propose to place your antenna. See how signals are from your local stations. Then post the results here. THEN we can give proper advice. RabbitEars.Info

Also, here's some info that will help your ultimate decision for antenna installation: Installing a DTV antenna

Here's the info it returned:

FWIW I used to have a huge antenna in the attic that grabbed the local CBS and ABC affiliates with a little turning between channels. We've since removed that to build bonus rooms upstairs. Figured it was time to utilize the pole outside and I'm finally getting around to it.

Here's the info it returned:

FWIW I used to have a huge antenna in the attic that grabbed the local CBS and ABC affiliates with a little turning between channels. We've since removed that to build bonus rooms upstairs. Figured it was time to utilize the pole outside and I'm finally getting around to it.

You are a lucky man! ALL your stations are UHF, and every one worth getting is all in the same place. I recommend this antenna: https://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/30-2370/long-range-uhf-hdtv-91-element/dp/72Y2542?st=arials

You do NOT need a preamp as far as I can tell. Just the antenna pointed towards about 332~ degrees magnetic. Get some GOOD Rg-6 coax to go with it. I have this same antenna, and it's fantastic.

You are a lucky man! ALL your stations are UHF, and every one worth getting is all in the same place. I recommend this antenna: https://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/30-2370/long-range-uhf-hdtv-91-element/dp/72Y2542?st=arials

You do NOT need a preamp as far as I can tell. Just the antenna pointed towards about 332~ degrees magnetic. Get some GOOD Rg-6 coax to go with it. I have this same antenna, and it's fantastic.
Already got rg-6 running to the pole. Before the sheet-rockers came in, I bought a spool and have been running coax everywhere I thought I might ever need it while I had access to the space. Already have an account with newark (MCM) so I will be ordering that antenna today. Thanks for the recs!!!

How many tv sets do you plan on running this to?

If it's more than 2-3, you MIGHT need a preamp, as each split off a splitter will lose a bit of signal. I'd try it to your main tv set first, with no preamp at all. Get that all tuned in and locked down, then add a splitter and see what happens to signal levels before thinking about a preamp.

Last edited:
How many tv sets do you plan on running this to?

If it's more than 2-3, you MIGHT need a preamp, as each split off a splitter will lose a bit of signal. I'd try it to your main tv set first, with no preamp at all. Get that all tuned it and locked down, then add a splitter and see what happens to signal levels before thinking about a preamp.
Straight run to a Dish Satellite receiver then to a amplified distro box/

Reactions: primestar31
Preamp is generally on the antenna to boost the incoming signal.

A distribution amp is to amplify and share an incoming signal with several TVs or other devices (FM radios, DVRs etc).

Reactions: jeffdillard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts