Goodbye to The Tube

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I enjoyed the channel to and wish we still had it. Its sad its gone

Damn! I was afraid it was going to happen, just not this quick. Glad I had the foresight to record a big stack of dvds-loaded with the tube. Was just reading last week that the big acts were drifting away from expensive music videos for cheaper on-line streaming low quality stuff (we knew that) The day of the music video has passed.

This is disappointingly, I missed the Tube when it left Galaxy 10R KU, I was happy to see it again offered OTA and now it is gone again :(

This is one channel I was hoping to see in HD and to hear in DD some day... SAD!

I was watching the channel (at least it was on in the background) when it all of the sudden blinked out. By the time I looked at the TV the slate was on telling me of the channel's demise!

That channel was just too good to be true. :(

See ya
Tony
Nobody here can have any idea what all I've gone through, and what I've put my poor girlfriend through, to receive WXIX 19's (relatively) low powered digital transmission in the Dayton area from behind a little hill and through many tall trees. I just finished it all Saturday, and now this. :(

On a positive note, I've gained valuable experience in working with large outdoor antennas (tried different models by this time) and my tower and various masts (latest is 10 ft.) and various amplifiers.

And I'm still happy to be getting all of the non-low-power analog and digital transmissions from Cincinnati to complement the Dayton sources.

I put partial blame on Sinclair. They pulled the plug on a large number of stations broadcasting The Tube, for no good reason in my opinion. That and I've always hated Sinclair.

omg i cant believe this :O i LOVED the tube! im a big fan of music and music videos. :( its sad that this happened, i loved that channel! urgh :( there arent any other good music channels. :(

i think yesterday i changed it to the tube in LA and it said that they pulled the plug and had a picture of a guitar with a broken/ripped(they both sound weird lol) string? i thought it was just some error but i didnt think this would happen.

I too am going to miss this channel. I had put up a tower, 8 bay bowtie antenna and pre-amp to mainly get this channel once it dissappeared from my local Fox station on January 1st. It only came in sporatically, but enough to watch it for a few hours now and then. I have a few recordings, but wish I had recorded more.
For the past few months the comercials were getting more and more. Too bad that they did not get enough revenue to keep the channel going. Most of the music videos they played just are not played on any of my music stations.

This is a very sad news.

My bud was on amc 3 almost all the time because of this channel.

:(

Labgate

Wow. sad news indeed. During the weekends we had the channel running alot around here.
It will be truly missed. :( :(
It was one of my favorite channels available FTA.
I guess I can put away the Traxis DBS4500 that I had slaved to the Traxis DBS3500 so I could hear the Tube in AC-3

Wow, That Blows! They get rid of channels like the Tube but keep around MTV which is a joke. Even VH1 Classic ain't what it once was. Now I guess it's internet killed the tv video star.

well i give them credit for trying, what they were doing was good.

But there are really just no need for music tv channels these days. If I want to see a music video I can just pull it up on youtube

It is truly a sad day that the FTA/OTA world must say goodbye to the best music video channel OF ALL TIME. The Tube's demise is just another symtom of the wrong direction television as a whole has been headed in the past few years :(

The Tube, we will all miss you!

A message of great thanks to THE TUBE

After giving this news some time to sink in, I realized my earlier post in this thread was a bit selfish (I had found this thread at the end of a long day at work).

So, in an attempt to brighten the mood in this thread a little, let me be the first to say:

Thank you, Les Garland and everyone else behind THE TUBE, for providing us with a near-perfect, pure presentation format for music television.

It was obvious to me that you really enjoyed putting the channel together. From the brief monologue clips--usually of a person in a record store--to the full-screen lyrics excerpts, and all the great music videos in between, THE TUBE was a fun, quality network.

Even the interstitial logo segments--colorful spots sliding slowly across the screen to wistful music, or, during the Fall season, animated autumn-colored leaves fluttering with the sounds of a leaf blower and a child's laughter--helped to create a friendly, warm environment for enjoying music television.

I hope those of you that brought us THE TUBE will have future opportunities to work on other projects as enjoyable as I can tell this one was. In a perfect world, one of those projects would include a revival of this network in some form.

I am sorry to lose such a great channel--in fact, my favorite channel among all of my TV reception methods (some proof here and here). We in the free-to-air community quickly learn to never take anything for granted. As such, I certainly appreciated every minute I watched the channel when it was available on Ku band. And while my endeavor to receive THE TUBE over the air from a distant station's digital broadcast happened to reach completion essentially when the network ceased operation, I am no less thankful for your efforts.

So, again, thank you. :)

I'll miss it too. I was wondering from day one how they were going to survive. I don't recall seeing any commercials and eventually the money would have to run out. It was fun while it lasted.

well i give them credit for trying, what they were doing was good.

But there are really just no need for music tv channels these days. If I want to see a music video I can just pull it up on youtube

if only youtube videos looked good. the quality sucks! i know the tube wasnt really that good quality either but youtube video quality still sucks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)