Google TV/Dish Email Survey

cditty

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Northeast Louisiana
I just got an email from Dish for a Google TV survey. I encourage everyone to take the survey when you receive it.

Hopefully, they will listen to some of us on pricing.

I just took it as well. I hope that I am not the only one that thinks $299 is an outrageous price for an add-on like this. Unless it is a full fledged DVR/Sat receiver with TiVo like interface simplicity, I am not paying $299 for it. I think that $99 up front with no monthly fee (or maybe a very modest $2 to $3 per month fee) is reasonable. Does anyone else agree?

I personally feel that three years is about the average lifespan for a piece of electronics like this. Any option the present that includes a monthly fee ends up costing around $350 over three years, so the $299 is the best option (if you can afford it). That said, I still think $299 is way too much to charge.

Am I possibly misunderstanding the usefulness of Google TV?

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I have been following this forum for a couple of weeks and have been trying to learn as much as I can. The satellite world is far more complicated than I realized. I subscribed to DISH in July and chose them mostly because it was the only way to get TV Japan (my wife speaks Japanese) in my state.

EMAN, my thoughts exactly. I entered $99 as being reasonable with up to a $2 monthly fee. It kept coming back and asking about $169 and a $5 monthly fee as if this was their current thought, not sure!

And welcome by the way!

I answered their questions honestly.

Typically, I chose pay full price with no monthly fee. On the areas that I accepted a fee, I did so at a price point that allowed for an upgrade every 2 years at slightly less than paying it all upfront.

My equipment upgrade cycle is usually at the end of my contract.

I also said that 199 was where it started to look expensive. In further detail in the comment section, I explained that it would be great if they would do full integration into a co-designed satellite receiver box from Dish and then do a lower cost add-on unit for other receivers.

Wherever possible, I try to minimize extra equipment.

EMAN, my thoughts exactly. I entered $99 as being reasonable with up to a $2 monthly fee. It kept coming back and asking about $169 and a $5 monthly fee as if this was their current thought, not sure!

Yea, didn't it seem like the thing was asking the same question over and over again. I wonder if the questions are adjusted based on your answers. I also found the descripency between "advanced intergration" and non to be unclear.

Everytime I've played with one of these meda server STB's (and I started with the LinkPlayer) I've been unhappy for one reason or another (like not all CODECs supported).

I wasn't happy until I hooked up a media PC to the TV (the new Atom 330/ION book-sized units are REALLY cool).

This device is too late to a crowded market. Many Blu-Ray players (and TV's) can do the same thing. It's gonna be a hard sell.

As this point, I don't think I'd pay a dime for this thing. Now adding features (like network viewing) to the 622/722 as a means of costumer retention. That's a different story (why can't my Family 622 watch content directly from the Theater 722?).

I took it and was VERY disappointed in the direction it seems like they are going in for Google TV. They were floating out prices of 200-300 bucks up front and $3-$10 per month fees on top of that! For people like me, who recently shelled out the $200 bucks for the shiny new (and buggy at times) 922, I think most like me would agree that paying another $200+ for another add-on box is not going to fly. Not to mention, i think what Dish is missing here is that the same users that were willing to take the jump to the 922 are, by and large, their same customers that will have interest in Google TV.

When I first upgraded from a 622 to a 922, I asked the guy that installed it how the 922 would work with google TV. For me, the features of google TV with internet video streaming and so forth, are just as much, if not more, useful to me than the sling stuff with the 922. He claimed that with the 922, the google TV software would be built into the 922 and no add-on box (like the Logitech one) would be needed. I was semi-skeptical, and at this point it looks like my fears have been realized! Does anyone have any new news on how Google TV will work with Dish as opposed to having regular cable (or DirecTV) and adding on the Logitech GTV box Best Buy will be selling? I felt like being a dish customer would be and advantage with google TV, but based on what the survey implied... sounds more like a curse!

DISH ANNOUNCES GOOGLE TV

Just received summary questionaire on new Google TV to come this fall.
Summary was sent to long standing customers asking for pricing suggestion new blu-ray player with Google capabilities.

The main question is Dish will offer a new blu-ray player with Google capabilities.
Does anyone NOT already have internet capable blu-ray players. I have 3

GoogleTV will be available first as a STB from Logitech. I see no reason that one cannot purchase a Logitech GTV box, and connect it to your Dish DVR, either using an IR bug or HDMI control, if they enable it.

Sony will be integrating GTV into their net-enabled TV's and BD players, as well. If it includes the ability to control external devices using IR or HDMI, again, you should be able to control your Dish DVR with it.

There are bound to be more CE brands hopping on the GTV bandwagon. I see no reason to go with a Dish-branded solution, if the upfront cost or additional monthly fees make it more costly than the other-branded solutions.

So GoogleTV will do what a Laptop is fully capable of doing via HDMI or RGB cable... with no up front costs... no monthly fee.

For the first time as a DirecTV customer, I am jealous. I look forward to seeing what the Logitech Google TV box can do w/ a DirecTV receiver, but I'm sure it won't be able to beat an integrated solution... I hate IR emitters.

I don't see the point of dish offering this...

Why would someone pay a fee from them when you will be able to buy a new sony bluray player or logitech stand alone box and get google tv without a fee.

In 6 months, there will probably be hundreds of devices with this functionality built in and many of them dirt cheap.

I just don't get it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)