Google’s ‘Don’t Be Evil’ Mantra is ‘BS,’ Adobe Is Lazy: Apple’s Steve Jobs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
I guess the gloves are off...:)
Google’s ‘Don’t Be Evil’ Mantra is ‘Bullsh!t,’ Adobe Is Lazy: Apple’s Steve Jobs | Epicenter | Wired.com
On Google: We did not enter the search business, Jobs said. They entered the phone business. Make no mistake they want to kill the iPhone. We won’t let them, he says. Someone else asks something on a different topic, but there’s no getting Jobs off this rant. I want to go back to that other question first and say one more thing, he says. This don’t be evil mantra: “It’s Bullsh!t.” Audience roars.

Diogen.

I still find it amusing how Jobs and Wozniak once were stealing from Ma Bell, and today, Jobs is in bed with AT&T and just recently, The Woz bought a Nexus Android phone.

Well, let's see what they can do to compete with google on google's turf. They shouldn't be afraid of competition if they are confident in their product(s). Let the consumer choose Steve, you have enough product sheep to keep the revenue flowing. You also make some really great products, but like to sit on your laurels after a couple years or success. You get bored with a product quickly and stop innovating.

Apple on Google's turf? I didn't know that search engines were something Apple was going to do. :)

Google is a johnny-come-lately to any kind of OS, a nimble one, but still new at it. It will be interesting to watch this develop. But frankly, my money's on Apple.

And who cares what Woz does these days, he opted out years ago! :)

Google will be known as the innovator of the cloud computing form of operating system. I'm not saying it will take over, but will be a major alternative in how we use information technology. IMO, all these other ventures Google gets involved ( phones) with are distractions to it's core business which is cloud computing and advertising.

I feel Google will eventually move their phone OS to complete cloud OS, as opposed to selling apps that reside in the phone's memory. Apple is the King of the application phone.

What surprises me the most is how fast friendship turned to animosity between Jobs and Schmidt. Another reminder what big money does to people.

But we, consumers, most likely will benefit from them competing istead of cozying up.
If Apple enters the smartphone market johnny-come-lately style against RIM and Nokia, they should count on others doing it to them.
What Jobs' rant signifies, I think, is Google actually having a chance. I have never heard him bitching about Microsoft this way...

Diogen.

Google does have a chance. They are nimble and ready to try different things. But Apple isn't sitting on their laurels either. Should be interesting.

As to control, well yes, Apple does do that. In the case of the iPhone and other touch devices they have, getting apps from a single source is darned handy and ensures that what I get won't be malware in disguise. That is an issue Google apps may have to face with a more broadened distribution of apps, just like for Windows.

Google is about making stuff that does whatever you want.
...as long as Google can monetize it...:)
They are not in the charity business but seem to have a good idea what they want and are ready to finance "disruptive" product development, from software to hardware.
Could it be that their HTML5-based workaround to run Google Voice on iPhone pi$$ed off Jobs so much?

Interestingly, Chrome browser/OS has a BSD-style license, IIRC. That means they can lock it up any time they want, just like Apple did with OS X.

Hopefully this is not going to happen any time soon...

Diogen.

Interesting

I am an Apple Fanboy and constant Google user, their squabbles add interest to life. I am wondering what the billion dollar construction project in NC is going to be used for, is Apple going to do the cloud. ron

So true! Google better not drop the ball on this!
How little did Google do and what a fallout!
1. Jobs accuses Google in an attempt to kill iPhone, energizing troops.
2. As a side note, he leaves no option for the iPs (iPod, iPod touch, iPhone and iPad) to ever support flash by calling Adobe lazy.
3. He claims the next iPhone will be an "A+ update"
4. Apple will be aggressive and Google will never catch up.
Steve Jobs at Apple Town Hall Meeting on Google, Adobe, Next iPhone, 2010 Macs and More - Mac Rumors

Also, it looks like a bunch of functionality was thrown out of the iPad to keep the price on the "garbage" level of $500: network printing, camera, extended video out, 3G for cell calls, etc.
iPad SDK holds hints of video calls, handwriting "keyboard"
Some of it might be back as a business upgrade. Maybe even multitasking...:)

I think Google can "hi-five" for a job well done!
And if sales of unlocked phones catches on, Apple business model revolving around the iTunes ecosystem won't look as glamorous as today...

Isn't competition great!

Diogen.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I said it before and say it again, As a stock holder of Apple and Google, I wish Google would just drop the whole Nexus phone venture. I have no issue with Android as it is software, something Google is good at. The phone, IMO, offers nothing revolutionary to the industry. Rather it is Google's way of trying to change the business model in the US of how cell phones are marketed. This can be done by any of the carriers at any time. It is nothing more than a distraction and a drain on what makes Google great- It's internet advertising business model which is why I bought the stock and why it has done so well until they started down the road of the Nexus phone. ( OK China ordeal also had a bit to do with the drop in Google but the Nexus phone just added to their present downslide.)

Apple on the other hand has been a hardware and software company forever. They do it very well. Apple changed directions from Apple Computers to just Apple, Inc. when they decided to get into the entire consumer electronics business with entertainment, communications, and computers. They are not in the internet advertising business.

As a stock holder of Apple and Google...
I think this is smart.
With the spat between them an investment in one is a hedge against the investment in the other...:)

I'm all for Google's invasion on Apple's turf. Hopefully they will make a tablet, too.
As the last week has shown, it will only be good for the customers of both Apple and Google products:
Nexus got multitouch; iPhone - VoIP and Sling over 3G; the iPad has even an unlocked version!

Hopefully they don't start suing each other.
I believe Google won't and Apple can't fight one more in addition to Nokia.

I think the market got much healthier with Goggle's move...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)