Goop? Gunk? What is it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tim Godsil

On Vacation
Original poster
Jan 31, 2007
I found a directv dish in the trash:D There was this black tarry stuff around the cable connections. It seemed it's watertight and easy to come off. What is this stuff and where can you buy it??:confused:

yes it is watertight stuff. Used to keep moisture out

can be picked up at hardware stores or Radio SHack

99cents for 6 foot rolls of it at my Shack and hardware stores. I bought it all up a while back. They don't restock it often near me so I buy up what I can when I see it.

Satinkzo
I did the same thing. Bought up all that stuff at Rat Shack. Wish they would restock it (I have a feeling they are discontinuing it)

I found a directv dish in the trash:D There was this black tarry stuff around the cable connections. It seemed it's watertight and easy to come off. What is this stuff and where can you buy it??:confused:
You can buy that black roof tar stuff in a caulking gun cartidge at Lowes, Home Depot etc.

vurb
this aint that black jack. This is stuff that goes around the coax connector and is very easy to get off (and doesnt leave your hands black) :)

It's called simply: "Coax Seal". It's been around for at least 25+ years that I know of. Used to use it to seal oof old "N" connectors on c-band dishes when installing them. Also used it for ota tv antenna installations. Great stuff!

Coax-Seal protects coax fittings from moisture and corrosion

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)