Got a dish, please help ID.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
Found this dish driving around. Ugly, but its aluminum and will paint up nicely. Got it for $25, which is scrap price. The next closest was 75 miles away, sure beats driving that far.

Can anyone ID it? Oddball looking. Uses a turnbuckle to adjust elevation.

20110418190546.jpg20110418190538.jpg

Looks like a spun aluminum, but who made it? Don't know. Mine uses a turnbuckle. It's not oddball.

Attachments

• turnbuckle_elevation.jpg
    turnbuckle_elevation.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Going to be getting it tomorrow hopefully. Was not able to get it tonight due to bad weather. The mount attaches to the reflector at 3 points like a triangle. I did not see any kind of label or brand on it. Anyone know?

Nice score! Looks like a fun project! What's the diameter?

How far away was it? You might get away with not moving any mount adjustments!

Be careful putting your ears at the focal point, these dishes reflect sound really well too. lol!

Don't be afraid to snap any bolts, they can be replaced. Just be gentle with the reflector.

Select your paint wisely, you don't want to fry your LNB with the sun!

Cheers!

Only 4 miles away. Here are some more pics. Dish is 7.5' might be able to do a little S2 with it. It is spun aluminum, would if be safe to sit in to paint it?

dscn2106u.jpg
dscn2107hn.jpg
dscn2108h.jpg

pencil.png

Dish is 7.5' might be able to do a little S2 with it.
It is spun aluminum, would if be safe to sit in to paint it?
Sure, sit right down.
Then a bunch of us will come over and kick yer ass!
For ruining a perfectly good dish!

Also, unless bare aluminum is showing, I'd just clean it, not paint it.

If you insist on painting it, check out the numerous threads where people have done that.
One which comes to mind is a recent job by Stogie5150, where he used a roller on some Primestar dishes.
AND he used the same trick on a big solid fiberglass 4-segment BUD.

McGuyver restored his sand-blown plastic Channel Master BUD to like-new condition.

Someone repainted his 8' Channel Master charcoal so he could swap it to a guy who was using a 10' Channel Master (painted black) for a sign.

Long ago, Linuxman tried painting an aluminum dish, but in the end wasn't happy with it.
(he had very high standards)
I'm sure you could learn from that thread.

Lots of good stories here on the forum. ;)

Well I got half of it painted, I'm going to switch to spray paint, brushing it on is taking forever. It is not the heaviest made dish, lift one end up and it bows. However I did lay inside of it so my weight was distributed evenly and it did not harm it. It was bare aluminum at one time, and someone painted it before. It's looking much nicer.

"Spun Aluminum" has never been a cheap way to make dishes.
So, it's highly likely it was one of the best , at least in it's day.
I know my two are.
One's solid, and the other is perforated.
The solid is a little heavy, but he perf is quite light! ;)
Neither flex when you lift 'em by the rim.

Id this dish.

dscn2108h.jpgdscn2107hn.jpgdscn2106u.jpg20110418190546.jpgThat I dragged home today. Maybe some of you here don't frequent the regular FTA section.

As you can see the reflector attaches to the dish in a triangular fashion. The dish is spun aluminum.Not spun very well because there are thick groves visible in the dish. Also the aluminum is rather thin, and if you pick up on one end, it is wobbly.

The LNB is a 60 degree cal amp. I'm dating this dish to be late 80s if the lnb has not been replaced.

The motor is a FASCO actuator.

The elevation adjustment is a stainless steel turnbuckle, one of the only stainless parts on this dish. The declination adjustment is 4 holes, just put the bolt in another hole for declination adjustments.

There is no nameplate or name anywhere on this dish, so maybe you guys can help ID it.

It is 7.5 foot across.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)