Got a Sprint Mogul (6800) for only $288.99

Kingmax and San disk released the 4 Gb micro in May. :) Announced the release of 6 and 8 Gb in the Fall. Hard to find in stock. My guess is that the iphone mfg sucked up all the memory at this time. When the 2 gb mini's were announced I went to the trouble of getting one from san disk with a contact I had from CES 2 years ago. It is unlabeled and works great. About 3 months after that, they were in the stores at half the price I paid.

I played with the mogul in the store the other day and have been reading quite a bit about the phone lately. I can't wait to get mine!

Can't find a micro 2GB for less than $50 in retail stores. Just got one on e-bay for $30.00 shipped. (SanDisk). Hope it works...

The 4GB micro sd cards are just hitting the streets. :)

BY FLIPPING UP I mean when I am looking at the screen with the controls at the bottom I SLIDE THE SCREEN to the left to open the keyboard. On the 6700 to open the keyboard you would slide the screen to the right.

I really like this phone and my performance on Sprint has been great. I can't believe the difference in speed between the sprint network when compaired to the verizon network.

In this case, I suspect it is the phone that has better performance than the network. I have seen a wide variance of performance between the Dell Laptop with Express built in EVDO as opposed to plugin card PCMCIA, vs. the 6700 at two different CPU speeds- All at the same location, same time using the same speed test. I can't do the PCMCIA test anymore because I shut off that number and stopped using that laptop. Sprint may be better in some areas than Verizon but no doubt, Verizon has a bigger footprint. I just tested my speed at the mobile dslreports and it was 500kbps with 520Mhz speed on the 6700. The Dell Laptop is running at twice that speed. The only place I have seen 1.5Mbps on the Dell is Las Vegas and NYC hotel rooms. I don't recall running that test on the 6700.

Last week when I was at the apple store, the iphone topped out at 70-90kbps with att. :) It would not do YouTube video until I turned on the store wifi.

Scott- Did Sprint say anything about WM 6.0 release? Have you experimented with BT 2.0 featureset?

I have a pretty basic web-enabled Verizon LG phone. I tried their web services free-of-charge a couple years ago, but my wife against paying $15 a month for the service and, quite honestly, the only time I can use it is while driving (3+ hour commute M-F) since I would in a classified area (no cell phones, PDA, cameras, etc.)

I have been wanting to add a PDA to my Verizon Wireless plan...but it's just too darn expensive to upgrade...plus, the additional $15. My daughter is staying with us for the summer so I am going to give her my Verizon family plan phone and sign up with the Sprint 500 minute offer for $30 per month. I have a business phone so I don't need a lot of minutes. Plus, I will be using the web from 4:30-6:00am, and again after 7pm.

Anyway, which PDA should I select? Is the Mogul the Palm Trea, Blackberry, etc?

Get the Mogul. :)

Mogul us a Pocket PC. Its almost like having a latop with internet access where you go. I have mine loaded already with the Slingbox software, sirius software etc.

Your online data (if you have unlimited data) des not go against your voice minutes.

Mogul us a Pocket PC. Its almost like having a latop with internet access where you go. I have mine loaded already with the Slingbox software, sirius software etc.

Your online data (if you have unlimited data) des not go against your voice minutes.
I take it I can watch TV using a SlingPlayer Mobile client? If so, is the client worth $29.99 or should I just continue to use the AV500E PocketDish?

In either case, I am getting ready to pull-the-trigger on a Mogul.

Which PDA?

That depends on your use. If you like to do everything you can, get the Mogul as Scott suggests. I will be upgrading my 6700 to the 6800 Verizon model when it is out and my contract allows. If you are like my wife who needs push e-mail or a facsimile of push, the Treo works great but it doesn't like lots of applications as it tends to lock up due to lack of ram. She can run GPS, get e-mail notices every five minutes, respond to them and have her business calendar access as well.
If you have to worry about cost on these PDA's you probably don't need one and it would be more hobby for you. For me, the PDA is a perfect extension of my laptop when away from the desk, hotel room and places where I used to have to lug along a laptop for my work.
Pocket dish is highly restrictive since you have to load what you want to watch. and, it only does one thing, play stuff you recorded from your DVR. With sling and the PDA with broadband, you can watch any live TV PLUS any thing you have recorded on the DVR. With a Broadband PDA you can look at Youtube stuff too. You have to have a cell phone, don't need an extra device. Sometimes while I am in a hurry up and wait as in a long line, I make use of the time and pull out the PDA and play a game, work on some work stuff with Remote desktop, watch a TV show, listen to a podcast, surf the web, catch up on sat guys forums, etc. All using one device I would have with me anyway, not a suitcase full of different devices that do single things each. I carry about 12 Gb of stuff with me on SD cards, an SD to USB card reader, a pair of reading glasses and a spare battery plus a BT hands free earpiece. All on a small belt holster I custom made.

Mine is coming today! Can't wait... the wife got her Q in yesterday. Also a pretty cool phone for the money. I was very suprised when the Sprint.com maps didn't show EVDO for this area yet, but the phone has the EVDO icon and is definitely EVDO speeds.

I had a problem with mine today and the only way I could fix it was do a hard reset (which means loading all my programs on it again)

The issue was it forgot my exchange settings so it would not grab my email. So I went in to reset it and it would not allow me to specify a domain so I could get my mail.

Kind of annoying, but I am quick at putting everything back :)

Scott,

How does the Wi-fi work at a public wireless location? Just wondering if it works well if you are in a location where you cannot pick up Sprints data network.

thanks

I buy a lot of electronic components (the list is extensive), but my work and cell phones are dated since I work in a classified area and can't even bring a camera phone/PDA/laptop to the work-site. I've had to turn down a Blackberry the past 4 years and still use crusty Motorola i60c. Anyway, I was just looking over the Mogul use guides and realized that I am going to have a lot of fun with this little guy.:)

Scott,

How does the Wi-fi work at a public wireless location? Just wondering if it works well if you are in a location where you cannot pick up Sprints data network.

thanks

It works great. I got my phone this afternoon and was able to toy with it a little bit. There's so much to this fun to figure out and use....and I haven't even started tweaking or loading additional apps yet!

I was able to use the wifi portion this afternoon in a building that has zero cell phone carriers...no AT&T, no Alltel, no Verizon, no Sprint, no etc. Flipped the switch on the side for the wifi radio and boom, up pops a notification that a new network was available. I clicked connect and the phone was browsing. Awesome feature!

I'm very impressed with the phone. I was expecting subpar sound quality and coverage due to the PDA style phone but I was wrong. I just switched from one of the top of the line Sanyo phones(3 years ago), and Sanyo's are known for excellent reception on Sprint's network, but the Mogul beats the Sanyo in the sound quality and signal department.

I LOVE THIS PHONE!!! ;) I've used a few Blackberry phones for work and even have the latest pearl one, and when I grab my blackberry I'm instantly saying "ohh...this yucky old thing.." and the Pearl is only a few months old.

I too have been waiting on the 6800 from Verizon.

I'm curious how things are going because I've read many complaints on the Sprint version over at howardforums. People seem to be having memory issues (running out) and not being able to use the camera without doing a reset, low volume on handset and BT headset and some BT issues as well.

Have you used a BT headset yet? Is the volume good? Have you had to reboot often? Any issues using the camera?

Thanks for the info on this, I've been tempted to take the Sprint plunge too. I think the Verizon delay is to address some of the issues people have been having though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)