Got a used GI DSR920 on the way...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

14karat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Hernando, Mississippi
Hoping the battery holds through shipping.
Once it arrives I have a UPS waiting for it...
What is the general consensus on the best replacement battery for it?
I'm considering a dual-battery holder setup... don't want to have to go through this twice!!

I just did one, used a single battery holder.
I've read that you have about 15 seconds of "no battery" before you lose the ID.

Your best bet is to just install a single replacement battery which will last most likely 6 years or more without problems, the problem that can surface with using a holder is the lose of a good connection between the battery and the holder, just solder it into the board.
When you get your unit make sure the the battery measures 3.6 volts, and there is no 15 second rule that will guarantee again the lose of the ID when changing the battery out.

Isn't the norm to change the battery out with power going to the unit? Figured that would be my best bet. Or is that a bad thing?

Soon as it gets here, it will be plugged in to a 1000VA UPC. Just as long as it holds up through the delivery...

replacing battery: be safe, be sure

There are web sites with specific directions and pictures describing proper procedure for replacing the batteries.
No sense risking your receiver doing it the wrong way!
Do a google search for such sites, and read several to be sure you are aware of all the gotchas.
Here's one site I ran across a while back, to get you started.

Unplug it, open it, run a backup battery in parallel, remove the one you are replacing then pop the new one in, remove the temp and your done, I have done many VC boards have not done my 922 yet.

Wear eye safety glasses, if you have no experience with this type of work, send it to ats, or look around for a local electronics repair shop, bring them the instructions and have them do it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)