Got banned..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jhonns2

Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Europe
Hi..

I registered by the nick "jhonns" yesterday...and posted in the AZbox Sub-Forum a information regarding Enigma2 Opensource firmware released to Azbox Premium and Lite.

Got a couple answers in the topic from a Moderator..after a few minutes i got a message saying that i was banned.

I wrote a email throught "Contact us"..but 24h later i got no answer.

This is a excerpt from the email that i sent.

Enigma2 is a Dreambox official firmware (Opensource), it´s legal and doesn't have nothing
to do with HACKING. It´s the best firmware to Linux Receivers..all Azbox users in Europe
are very excited with this news..that was the main reason i registered today in your forum
This is the best news regarding Azbox firmwares in a long time. Only third party plugins
can make Enigma2 working illegal..but the standard version doesn't do anything illegal.
Changing a receivers firmware is not illegal, but a person can loose the warranty changing the official firmware to a non-official.

Please, before ban someone..do some research to confirm if is really hack talking.

I felt very frustrated by this situation..

Best Regards.

a google search shows it has to do with card sharing which is not tolerated here

edit: I also asked you in the original post what it did and you never responded with what this "oh so cool" software did for the azbox

Last edited:
a google search shows it has to do with card sharing which is not tolerated here

If you buy a Dreambox (the most popular DVB-S receiver in Europe) it will come with Enigma OS.

Since it´s Opensource, many people make applications to cardsharing and other illegal stuff...but the standart version it´s not illegal. Even in Wikipedia Dreambox page, you can confirm that all Dreambox versions come with the standart OS Enigma.

Edit: I answered, saying that Enigma2 is the best (and official) Dreambox firmware. Supports a lot of plugins and 3rd party applications.

Iceberg, Europe is an entirely different beast. While I was over in Iraq it wasn't uncommon for people to do this kind of activity and not care as the laws in their country weren't like ours. What might be Illegal in the US is legal in many EU country's as well as the middle east. In fact, believe it or not many European boxes do come with the hack ware pre installed. Should it be tolorated, nope! but it is apart of their boxes over there, especially in country's that don't give a damn about Hollywood and content/ copy protection

I'm fully aware of that Bob...but the rules here are that talk in regards to stealing something isnt tolerated here. I've banned people who come in the azforum and ask about stealing and they're in South America.

I asked the OP the first time what this new software did and didnt get much of an answer other than "its better".....when you google the info and you get that its mainly for card sharing well then that ended that

Enigma

I own several Dreamboxes and I found this in Reference to Enigma 1& 2 Dreamboxes a cut copy and paste in quotes below. IMHO, It was and has been my impression that when Speaking of Enigma that term is used to discribe the Computer and the Firmware loaded. Example a Dreambox 500 is Enigma 1 and the 7020 is Enigma1. The 7025 is Enigma 2 another words that is the name of the Computer and the preloaded factory firmware that handshakes with the OS loaded by the User or the factory. Most people use PLi Jade as their OS on a Dreambox. Pli is the most popular open source software from what I have read. Lots of other open source software is out there for the Dreamboxes. I have used several Open Source OS's on my Dreamboxes but honestly Pli is by far the best I have seen with far less troubles than other software. It's an excellent OS for FTA and easier to use than some of the other OS software I have seen. AS mentioned below Enigma runs on top and basically allows Jade or other Open Source software to communicate with Dreambox. Pli is legal and most of the open source software used by Dreambox Owners is legal. That being said a lot of the add-ons can found that is not for legal use.

Also note, That some Germans refer to a computer as Enigma...not that it matters to anyone. I guess basically it's just a matter of differences in opinions of what Enigma is...
Dreamboxes do not come preloaded with any software that is illegal or will it do anything illegal. The owners of Dreamboxes will load the 3rd party software on a Dreambox. Out of the box they are FTA and FTA ready. That is a terrible misconception that Dreamboxes are illegal ready, it just simply is not true. The Dreambox can be used with a providers card that is purchased legally. Again it is the end user that makes enigma illegal.

" What is Enigma 2?
When you switch on your DM 7025 and start watching or recording tv shows, Enigma 2 is the application that you see on the tv screen. Enigma 2 receives and processes the button push events from the remote, draws the menus and the windows on the screen, changes the channels and, overall, handles all the interaction with the user. For a remote-contoller wielding couch potato, Enigma 2 is what the DM 7025 is.
But Enigma 2 is not all there is to a DM 7025. There is also the underlying Linux system: with a kernel, drivers, command-line tools, server applications (such as Samba), scripts, shared libraries, a package management system, etc. Together, all these various bits and pieces form the base upon which Enigma 2 is running. Of course, most of these other components are running in the background, deep in the bowels of the device – invisibly, as far as the end user is concerned – but without them the Enigma 2 software wouldn’t work.
In other words, Enigma 2 is a Linux application. It cannot exist alone; it is not a stand-alone “firmware” that would directly access the set-top box hardware at the register level and run independent of any external OS. The firmware images you can download from Dream Multimedia are actually full-fledged mini Linux distributions, with the Enigma 2 application running on the top."

"What happened to Enigma 1?
Enigma 2 is a rewrite of Enigma 1 (or mere “Enigma”), which is another, older set-top box-oriented DVB viewer and DVR application. Without delving too much into historical details, it suffices to say that Dream Multimedia still ships many of the other Dreambox models with Enigma 1, and develops and maintains this “old” branch of Enigma, too. The DM 7025, however, was shipped with the all-new Enigma 2, and the upcoming DM 8000 is expected to be shipped with Enigma 2 as well.
The most striking difference between the two Enigmas is that Enigma 1 is a C++ application through-and-through whereas Enigma 2 only has a relatively compact C++ core for the lower level stuff and handles much of its internal logic in Python. For instance, in Enigma 2, the user interface logic and menu structures are all handled by Python modules and they could be completely rewritten by merely altering the Python code. In Enigma 1, similar changes would require altering the C++ code and recompiling the binary. In addition to that, Enigma 2 also includes a new plugin interface that allows writing plugins as Python modules. The old Enigma 1 only allowed binary plugins.
I do not know the original reasoning behind developing a new, rewritten version of Enigma, but apparently the old C++ codebase of Enigma 1 was somewhat messy and hard to maintain, and it does not handle multiple tuners and DVB multiplexes too gracefully. These points alone could explain the need for something new.
The Python-orientedness of Enigma 2 makes rapid development and changes in the user interface logic easier, and it should also make plugin development much more accessible to the end-users"

Last edited:
Aside from the plugins and potential advantages of Enigma2, would there be any functional advantage, features, etc. to running Enigma on an Azbox rather than the factory firmware? I'm just trying to understand why so many people think E2 worth having other than "potential"

I guarantee you enigma has nothing todo with hacking, its an opensource app like mythtv or vdr. nothing more.

just like myth and vdr, you can use them with third party cardsharing apps, that doesnt make myth, vdr, or enigma a bad hacker app.

to answer mr3p the advantage is that its open source. If you want to change anything, like fixing a bug, just go ahead and do it. No waiting for the developers todo it for you. Sometimes youve got a small feature your interested in but it obv has a very limited audience, something commercial developers arent interested in, you may though so you can add it.

Ive personally fix'd a few bugs in enigma and added features I thought were usefull, weather or not others want them I dont care, I wanted them so I added them.

Misconceptions

When speaking about Enigma Software it is best to make it clear of your intent. So many people have the misconception that Dreamboxes or Enigma Software puts you automatically into the Hack group. If you do a Google most of the talk on Enigma Software is about Hack talk. I can understand how anyone would think a post asking about Enigma is Hack talk...That's why it is best to explain yourself and when asked to reply promptly.

However this is not always true, it's just a misconception that people have. Dreamboxes are designed to be FTA or used legally with a provider in Europe. Azbox and most all other FTA receivers have been used for illegal purposes at some point. Dreambox just happened to have come out long ago. That put them out there long before other fta mfger's and they got a bad rep from people who didn't understand a linux box and because they are open source it made it easier for some jackwagons to use them illegally. Companies like Azbox have basically Copied almost every aspect of the Dreambox and made it cheaper for users here in the US and Canada. Don't take me wrong I am not knocking the Azbox it's just fact. Most of the discussions I see here in reference to Azbox was asked years ago about Dreambox. Many of the Same features you are using on Azbox we've been using for years on Dreambox.

My complaint with most of the open source stuff is from what I have seen it was intended more for European Nations than North America so it makes it a little hard to use here. That being said, it might be harder but it's sure fun to learn and do.

Open Source is by far the best way to go because it allows the end user to adapt the software to their needs. They don't have to worry about this or that to make changes they can just do it. Any open source fta receiver is going to be far better than something rock bound.

Open Source often gets a bad rap because so many people have jack legged it into doing something illegal. But then again we can say that about almost any FTA receiver or software on the market today....

Personally I can understand Iceburgs concerns of hack talk when He asked nothing was replied. As I say it is always best to explain yourself when Talking about either Dreambox or Enigma Software or any Open Source software. Make sure to explain your intent is to use it legally and for no other means! I know often as a Dreambox owner I have been placed into the catagory of Jackleg Hacks several times just because I mentioned I owned a few Dreams. My intent is FTA only and I am making that clear! LOL!

Last edited:
I can appreciate the advantages of have an OS that can be updated/modified by the end user rather than waiting for the manufacturer. There are definitely some things about the Azbox which I would like to see revised/fixed. I somewhere read there were some alpha versions of Enigma2 for the Azbox. Is that still under development and/or has anyone tried it? It would have to be pretty stable as I'm not interested in bricking my receiver. On a possibly related note, in Maz 3.0, there is a "KGD" firmware listed. Anyone know exactly what this is and/or tried it?

Ok, so if the ENIGMA is better as OP mentions then can it do blind scan on elite hd models?

no dreambox's dont yet support blindscan, so its never been added to enigma. But its open src so it can be added :)

I beleive it uses the stv0903 right ?

they do..

You can download some addons for some Dreamboxes to do Blindscan but honestly it's not very good.

I have never really saw a need for Blind Scan on the 7020 it has an awesome satellite tp search function using Pli Jade. It works very well...

If the Azbox doesn't do blind scan and they have to do an add on, I doubt it will work very well. As most of the software blind scans don't do so well...

there is a very very old blindscan app for dreambox, it doesnt do blindscan as we think of it though, it just stepped up the freq and tried various SR, it was painfully slow and missed a great deal.

the dvb-t dreambox's do have an app called blindscan, its only for dvb-t tuners not dvb-s

PLi is excellent, I work alot with them, they have an amazing development team of guys that work with them.

I can appreciate the advantages of have an OS that can be updated/modified by the end user rather than waiting for the manufacturer. There are definitely some things about the Azbox which I would like to see revised/fixed. I somewhere read there were some alpha versions of Enigma2 for the Azbox. Is that still under development and/or has anyone tried it? It would have to be pretty stable as I'm not interested in bricking my receiver. On a possibly related note, in Maz 3.0, there is a "KGD" firmware listed. Anyone know exactly what this is and/or tried it?
So does anyone know where to download this Enigma2 for AZBox Elite and Premium models?

The Enigma2 for Azbox is super-alpha. In its current state it will not even tune a sat. If you load it, it's really complicated to go back to original firmware. Please wait. Note, I do not own an Azbox. I'm just a lurker. potlickus

The Enigma2 for Azbox is super-alpha. In its current state it will not even tune a sat. If you load it, it's really complicated to go back to original firmware. Please wait. Note, I do not own an Azbox. I'm just a lurker. potlickus
Yes, you're right! Did some reading yesterday, you're right on point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts