Got Comcasts new HD combo DVR. Question

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Long time Dish and Voom guy. My new job offered to pay all of Cable high speed internet and install. So I called Comcast and ordered a HD DVR and service to compare to Dish.

So far I am very impressed with what I am seeing. The picture quality is Excellent.

Plus I love this box. It is very user friendly with TONS of great options.

No more having to scroll to Menu to change inputs for HD or SD to get good SD pic. My sony wega HD is a 36inch 4x3 model and with the 942 I had to mess around with settings if I wanted full screen SD if not on a HD channel.

With the Comcast Motorola box it automaticly does that!

I only have two gripes, one of them major
The big downside to this DVR is NO ADVANCE !!! Comcast must have made adeal with the networks so you cant skip thru commercials like with Dish DVR.
That really bites!!!!

Sound differance from HD channels to Sd can be a pain!

Other then that it ROCKS~
Love the VOD!

iceshark said:
The big downside to this DVR is NO ADVANCE !!! Comcast must have made adeal with the networks so you cant skip thru commercials like with Dish DVR.
That really bites!!!!

Your remote is programmable. You can set up a 30 second fast forward button. First, you have to determine which button you want to become the 30 second button. I use the "Help" button, some people use the "HD Zoom" button. After you figure out which button you want to use, follow these instructions:

1) Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it in Cable box control mode.

2) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.

3) Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice.

4) Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button.

5) Type in the code 00173 (for 30 second skip).

6) Press the button that you decided to make the skip button ("help", "HD Zoom" or whatever).

7) You now have a 30 second skip on that button.

thanks. im a former voomer now with comcast so far the only problems i have had was dropouts or loss of service. which comcast credited to my account. i would love to see more hd ondemand if thats possible and to move all analog channels to digital.

Tried that remote fix to get 30 second speed burst. Does not work. When I push the help button (i assigned it to that ) I see the forward arrow on top right of screen. However it does not advance the recording??/
Also I am now getting some wierd glitches in my DVR control.

I programmed it exactly like instructed any ideas??

Hmmmm.... Did you get the double blinks on the "cable" button as you went throught the process? Have you tried to do it agian? If not, try that. Mine didn't work the first time either but has ever since I did it again. What kind of wierd glitches are you getting?

I have tried it repeatedly. I will check the software version. It was easy to follow your instructions. I got the double blinks and it accepted the programming. Here is what it does

When pushing the Help button while playing a recorded feature. Forward arrow and Bottom scroll of where time is in playback appear on screen. However it does not forward anything.

Then I go to push the DVR button and all of the sudden NO DVR control works on box.
Then I can push Exit or guide and then reenter the DVR area that way and control is back.

I am using the newest HD DVR from Motorola from Comcast They remote is the big one that has the ON DEMAND and DVR buttons and controls.

Wierd>???

I just got the new Phase 3 6412 and my 30 second skip still works. Ihave heard that a future software upgrade will remove the skip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)