Got Dish Yesterday. Can I cancel?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
the answer to "can i cancel " will always be yes. nothing ever says you cannot cancel. now can you cancel without paying a cancellation fee is an entirely different question.

you may be right but if you're not then we're just being rude to a person that was looking for help. i'll admit the post was a bit suspicious to me but i decided not to respond. if it is a troll, they get a kick out of certain responses so it's best not to give them the satisfaction. ;)

I hope he is a troll with some of the responses, because if not..

To the OP, yes you have a few days to cancel as others have posted.

Also, as has been posted, you probably have a bad install.
Neither company should have problems as you describe.

Hope it gets fixed if you take the time to do it. If not, I hope you are happy with whatever service you get

I hope he is a troll with some of the responses, because if not..

To the OP, yes you have a few days to cancel as others have posted.

Also, as has been posted, you probably have a bad install.
Neither company should have problems as you describe.

Hope it gets fixed if you take the time to do it. If not, I hope you are happy with whatever service you get

No, the three day "cooling off" doesn't apply (at least in Texas); you see the sale wasn't completed at the buyers house, the sale was completed either over the phone, via the website or at a retail outlet like Sears, Radio Shack, etc. The installation was completed at the buyers house.
(Unless there are door to door sales people who can sign you up, take your payment & then do the install?). My best guess is the buyer is at least responsible for the cost of the install and that would probably be pretty close to the current cancellation fee (is it now $20-something per month times number of months left in the contract?). If this transaction was covered under FTC rules the installer would have left the cancellation form with the buyer, wherein he wouldn't have to ask here (or at dbstalk) if he could cancel (presuming he meant "without a penalty").

As In all things in this World "Nothing Is perfect",If you got a bad install call Dish and explain what is going on and tell them they need to come reinstall and bring out new receiver ,if they give you problems then arrange to cancel service(I gaurentee they will try and make good for you)but if you end up cancelling make sure you cancel Credit card on the Dish account ASAP,otherwise you may see some unexpected charges.They may still try and charge you but this way you will get aucuall paper bills to keep as proof you cancelled.
But Honestly you should have done more reasearch on Dish before getting service,Dish isnt perfect and sometimes you have to fight with them to get things right.But all in all the service when its connected right is great.Give Dish a chance to shine before you decide.

No, the three day "cooling off" doesn't apply (at least in Texas); you see the sale wasn't completed at the buyers house, the sale was completed either over the phone, via the website or at a retail outlet like Sears, Radio Shack, etc. The installation was completed at the buyers house.
(Unless there are door to door sales people who can sign you up, take your payment & then do the install?). My best guess is the buyer is at least responsible for the cost of the install and that would probably be pretty close to the current cancellation fee (is it now $20-something per month times number of months left in the contract?). If this transaction was covered under FTC rules the installer would have left the cancellation form with the buyer, wherein he wouldn't have to ask here (or at dbstalk) if he could cancel (presuming he meant "without a penalty").

wouldn't the signature at the end of the install be considered the completion of the sales agreement. Just food for thought.

That was my thought too. But it can be argued that the installers getting your signature at the end are analogous to delivery people from an appliance store getting a signature from the buyer. In this case, the sale was still completed at the store or over the phone or on line and not at the home.

See ya
Tony

TNGTony, your statement "you should never lose signal due to rain" (only dark clouds) is silly. You don't live in Texas, so you can't really speak to this point, unless you've experienced satellite TV service during rain in Texas. I've lost signal for 4 hours a number of times in the 2.5 years I've had E*, and once for over 8 hours. I've got very good signal strengths on 110, 119 and 129, but lose signal due to the insane amount of rain we can get here. Now I dont lose signal very often (cause we're having a drought), but pretty much every signle time it rains, generally from 15 to 30 minutes, but often an hour or so.

My point is that weather conditions are very different in different parts of the country. My idea of rain is quite different than my parent's idea of rain (who live in the Northeast). I don't know how often you've gotten 4 inches of rain in less than an hour, but it happens all the time in Texas - that's why they call the 500 mile stretch of I-35 that runs from OK to Mexico "Flash Flood Alley"

KTRE-9

Your local ABC for Lufkin, TX (KTRE) is not available on either dish or direct. You will have to pick this channel up OTA in this DMA. Lufkin is zoned for Tyler/Lonview DMA.

Also, in this market, satellite smashes the local cable operators (suddenlink or consolidated.)

curious---how did you sign up for service?

Best

TNGTony, your statement "you should never lose signal due to rain" (only dark clouds) is silly. You don't live in Texas, so you can't really speak to this point, unless you've experienced satellite TV service during rain in Texas. I've lost signal for 4 hours a number of times in the 2.5 years I've had E*, and once for over 8 hours. I've got very good signal strengths on 110, 119 and 129, but lose signal due to the insane amount of rain we can get here. Now I dont lose signal very often (cause we're having a drought), but pretty much every signle time it rains, generally from 15 to 30 minutes, but often an hour or so.

My point is that weather conditions are very different in different parts of the country. My idea of rain is quite different than my parent's idea of rain (who live in the Northeast). I don't know how often you've gotten 4 inches of rain in less than an hour, but it happens all the time in Texas - that's why they call the 500 mile stretch of I-35 that runs from OK to Mexico "Flash Flood Alley"

Actually, I thought TNGTony's wall nuts at first with his statement but then I reread it. I think what he meant was it should take a "storm" to knock your signal down enough to lose signal, not merely just a rain shower.

Now, how you want to define "storm" is a whole another matter. Is a storm simply a very heavy rain or is it a "Lawdy mercy, ma, dere's a twista comin" storm or is it something in between.

I always tell my customers when they ask about this that it should take a heavy rain such as a downpour to knock out the signal, but as soon as it lets up enough, it'll come right back in.

However, I have seen it several times where the signal would go out and it wouldn't be raining at all, only to look outside and see huge dark clouds of a severe storm moving in from the SW. Yep, if those thunderheads get up high enough and are in the direct path of your signal, they can definitely knock it down.

What causes rain fade is not rain.

What causes rain fade is the amount of moisture between the dish and the edge of the atmosphere in the line of sight to the satellite. It can rain all day long and you might never even lose any significant signal strength. It might not rain a drop where you are you will lose signal for 30 minutes due to a 12 mile high/thick storm cloud passing through your path.

It can be raining cats and dogs and you won't lose your signal unless the cloud cover is quite think. It can just be misting and you might lose signal if the cloud cover is dark and ominous. The dark clouds are really just a measure of their thickness. And for the meteorologically impaired, clouds are 100% moisture. :)

I don't have to live in Texas to experience severe storms. After having satellite service for over 12 years (April 1997), I have seen all sorts of weather (including Texas type tropical storms) and even a hurricane! (Major Tropical Storm when it got to me in CINCINNATI-3-5 day power outage in the entire region. Cable outage 4-8 days).

If you lose signal for 8 hours due to a storm, there are two possibilities. 1) the dish is not peaked properly and you are receiving just barely enough signal to make it over the threshold. 2)Some one in your neighborhood is building and ark and you need to make real good friends with him! :)

See ya
Tony

What causes rain fade is not rain.

What causes rain fade is the amount of moisture between the dish and the edge of the atmosphere in the line of sight to the satellite. It can rain all day long and you might never even lose any significant signal strength. It might not rain a drop where you are you will lose signal for 30 minutes due to a 12 mile high/thick storm cloud passing through your path.

It can be raining cats and dogs and you won't lose your signal unless the cloud cover is quite think. It can just be misting and you might lose signal if the cloud cover is dark and ominous. The dark clouds are really just a measure of their thickness. And for the meteorologically impaired, clouds are 100% moisture. :)

I don't have to live in Texas to experience severe storms. After having satellite service for over 12 years (April 1997), I have seen all sorts of weather (including Texas type tropical storms) and even a hurricane! (Major Tropical Storm when it got to me in CINCINNATI-3-5 day power outage in the entire region. Cable outage 4-8 days).

If you lose signal for 8 hours due to a storm, there are two possibilities. 1) the dish is not peaked properly and you are receiving just barely enough signal to make it over the threshold. 2)Some one in your neighborhood is building and ark and you need to make real good friends with him! :)

See ya
Tony
:up:up:up yep. that's how it goes pretty much for me too.

Tony's statement is very accurate for another Texan.
Rain ? Signal Loss
Thick Clouds = Signal Loss
Heavy rain itself doesn't always disrupt service. I know from experience, as the gulf brings heavy rain to this region. I have had instances where it is pouring buckets outside and the picture doesn't even pixelate. Likewise, I have had instances where it is completely dry outside but heavy cloud cover to the southwest had blocked the signal. Generally 40% of the rain storms we experience disrupt service for more than ten minutes.

Last edited:
I live in southeast Texas( Nederland between Pt.Arthur and Beaumont Tx) on the gulf where hurricane Rita hit in 2005 , Humberto in 2007 ,Ike hit 80 miles from us in Galveston last year in 2008. We have a lot of rain usually and this week we have had 40% chance everyday . The only time I lose my sat picture is when it is raining very, very hard . Once the rain settles down to a steady rain and not an intense rain pattern , we get our sat pic back. Doesn't take more than 5 minutes or less. Today it rained in a drizzley way with intense rains at times then back to drizzle. I was at work at the prison and we use DISH there to for 6 national channels and we had no drop outs . I watch the tv at the backgate where I work.

During Humberto- a cat 1 hurricane, we lost the sat but I had the ota tuner to watch on my 622 and we were able to watch the locals until the lights went out. After Hurricane Rita passed in 2005 and we came home I had sat tv within 20 minutes after the lights came back. I only had to reinstall our dish back on the pole. My sister waited over a month for TIME WARNER CAble to come out and fix her service.

After almost 14 years with sat( primestar in 95-96 DISH from 97-the present) I have learned that there will be minor outages when it rains from time to time. Still love my sat tv and with the 722k Dvr, I have access to 4 tuners; 2 sat/2 ota. I can easily turn to an ota channel or two in the extreme rains and never lose my receiver access for dishonline, or watch recorded dvr events. I record a lot of premium movies at night and use my ota tuners quite a lot. I always have something to watch. Rain outs have become a minor inconvenience that I learned to tolerate and work around. Most of DISH sat customers have learned to tolerate it ,in order to have the more superior dvrs that DISH has. I perfer the rain outs to the problems I had with Cable: inferior picture quality, lost service for days and HIGH PRICES.

Tony's statement is very accurate for another Texan.
Rain ? Signal Loss
Thick Clouds = Signal Loss
Heavy rain itself doesn't always disrupt service. I know from experience, as the gulf brings heavy rain to this region. I have had instances where it is pouring buckets outside and the picture doesn't even pixelate. Likewise, I have had instances where it is completely dry outside but heavy cloud cover to the southwest had blocked the signal. Generally 40% of the rain storms we experience disrupt service for more than ten minutes.
Yep, live on the Gulf Coast and the forecast is the same every day for 4 months - high 92, low 82, 50% chance of rain. Even if you do not get wet, your neighbor did. Satellite rarely goes out. A more common scenario is, the picture drops out and that is your cue to go get a drink and maybe a snack. Return to the TV, sit down, it starts to rain and the picture returns.

I don't disagree that clouds are the biggest offender to weather-related signal loss. I guess my point is/was/should have been that there is a relationship btwn rain and clouds. I rarely ever get signal loss with only thick clouds and no rain, as in Central Texas, they nearly always occur together.

I have a Dish 1000+ (30 inch), and when I compare my signal strengths to others who've posted theirs on this board, I'm generally 10 to 20 points higher than what may are able to get. It's almost as if my SS is as if I has a single dish pointed at each sat. No obstructions/trees, etc, but I can still lost signal for an hour or more. Since we've been in a drought since Sept. 2007, rain/clouds is rare here, but when it does rain, we can get anywhere from 1 to 4+ inches in an hour or less.

I don't want the OP to think that this is a major problem for me (just a frustrating annoyance). I too, had a major storm the first few days after my install (actually, for three days after install), and my impression about sat TV was not favorable. I had my local installer come out, and he repeaked, and things certainly became acceptable. Also glad that most of the things I watched are repeated frequently so that I could re-DVR most shows that happened to get recorded during a bad storm.

He did reply on the other forums so he might have gotten his answer and didn't come back here. I rarely loose signal, but my mothers more often. But again it is only TV and have other things to do besides watch it. Like play COD WAW every night :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)