Got my 622 and HD package today...

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
This is kind of a "here's my experience" post

Ok after much hemming and hawing and lots of patient assistance from people here (thank you.... I know I can ask a lot of questions), I got my 622 today and the HD package. I have a Panasonic TH-42PX60U (42" plasma). I've had OTA HD locals through a Channel Master CM4228 for a while now. My wife never watched because she couldn't just choose it off the Dish guide and because she couldn't pause, replay, skip ahead, etc.

The 622 tuner picked up all the locals extemely well. the installer said, "You must have a pretty nice antenna to get them with that signal strength. Some of those towers are over 40 miles away from here." So.... for anyone who is curious. No worries on the tuner in the 622. It appears to be as good as the one in my plasma.

Regarding the installer. Now understand this was basically a receiver swap. I already had the 110, 119 and 61.5 birds on 2 dishes. But the installer got out his ladder and checked connections, replaced several ("these just look old"), checked grounding blocks and wall jacks and replaced them with the higher rated ones ( 3GHz?... the blue center ones) and said, "It will probably just work better".

I don't know why, but I was under the impression that the 622 came with no HDMI or component cables. The installer hooked it up using HDMI and I could swear he took the cable out of a (sealed) bag that was in the (sealed) receiver box.

How's the HD quality look? Looks pretty darn fine to me. Is my OTA HD better? Gee.... tough call.... maybe a little, but I honestly am not seeing it.

My wife was a tough sell on this HD upgrade... "It's TV... why do we need HD? What we have is fine."

She's up there now with the "All HD" guide and just watching HD programs. She even watched Oprah from the OTA listing. And paused it... and skipped ahead.... hey... just like a regular satellite program. Maybe just to see if I told her the truth when I promised her that she could do that. :)

Yeah I know... not even 24 hours yet, but so far I am liking this upgrade.

Look for repeats of Planet Earth on DiscoveryHD. That will really push her over the fence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)