Got my external hard drive today

kpip99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Got it hooked up to my hopper with sling in the living room. It works great. I guess it's not accessible from my super Joey in the bedroom ?

It will be accessible from the Joey for watching content, but you can only transfer content back and forth from the Hopper.

To access from the Joey for watching content is the same as from the Hopper. From the DVR menu you can select it from the grey menu item on top.

Figured it out last night. Works great. Thx. Those with external hard drives would you say your recordings on your hopper or your recordings on your external hard drive are safer ?

I only use my EHD to store recordings. If I want to watch something stored, I transfer it back before watching. Otherwise, the EHD remains off. I never watch from the EHD. Saves uptime on my EHD, so I would say in my case that my EHD recordings are safer in theory.

Reactions: DWS44
Back when I had Dish, I ran RAID1 pairs for my EHDs. That's about as "safe" as you can get, given the limitations.

Another question I could have swore I saw something that you had to pay a one time fee of 40.00 to be able to use an external hard drive but when I hooked mine up I was able to move recordings over no problem. I went on chat with dish and they said there is no fee to be able to use an external hard drive. Did I dream that there was a charge ?

Another question I could have swore I saw something that you had to pay a one time fee of 40.00 to be able to use an external hard drive but when I hooked mine up I was able to move recordings over no problem. I went on chat with dish and they said there is no fee to be able to use an external hard drive. Did I dream that there was a charge ?

There was at one time. I paid it.

Reactions: ChadT41
There is still a $40 one-time charge, but it's for the 211 receiver to turn it into a DVR. That is different than the current EHD use on the Hopper and ViP 612/622/722/922 usage, which is now free.

Reactions: ChadT41
Figured it out last night. Works great. Thx. Those with external hard drives would you say your recordings on your hopper or your recordings on your external hard drive are safer ?
How high a quality EHD did you buy? I have a RAID 1 for certain programs and several, seldom powered up EHDs. I trust my EHDs more. But my HWS #1 is 75% full. Go figure.

I think a Hauppage is in my future.

I got a seagate 2Tb dvr expander. I also have a hauppauge , used it one time and it worked great. Recorded a 4 hour football game and it's a really big file on my computer 10gb I believe maybe more. I wanna now burn that game onto dvd and will soon. Need to figure out how to make it smaller though if possible.

If the hard drive on hopper fails it won't affect the recordings on your EHD correct ?

When I had dish the first time years ago I was able to hook up a dvd recorder and record stuff off the dvr onto dvd. Tried it when I had uverse and most things had some copyright deal and couldn't be recorded and the stuff that you could record was horrible quality once on the dvd. Haven't tried yet on hopper

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)