Got my first C band signal last weekend

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jullius

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
La Crosse, WI
My many frustrating attempts at getting a signal on a BUD have finally paid off. Turns out my LNBF was to blame. :( I bought a new LNBF after rescuing a 6ft mesh Star Trak. The dish was in fair condition, but I could never get any quality on my receiver. I blamed my line of sight, the dish and the elusiveness of C band signals, but not my new LNBF.

I gave up for a few weeks. One day when I was visiting my sister, I noticed the neighbor had a 7.5 Sami out back in excellent condition. I asked her if she would find out if they still used it, long story short I got the dish for free and a Uniden Supra reciever.

I spent several hours trying to aim the sami last Saturday, surely the extra surface area will help... but still 0 quality. I was about to give up hope when I decided, why not try the old LNB, so I looked down the feedhorn and decided to guess that the probe should face vertically for vertical poliarity and after about 5 minutes of slowly bumping the dish... I had 72W and NASA TV on C band :)

sweet :)

if you aim at 91 or 99W there are lots of signals that are very strong to pick up :)
121W has some stronger stuff to

Congrats! It's always fun to find that first c=band signal. Sami dishes are pretty good dishes, I like my 10', and that one should do fine job for you. That Supra had a good reputation too, I never owned one but have a couple of other Unidens that are still going, though not in use right now. Makes a good dish mover, if you have an actuator.

Pictures

Here's a picture of the dish and the inside of it's Venture actuator. Assuming the actuator still works, I'm going to try hooking it up to the analog receiver and see if I can get it motorized.

Probably going to end up getting the Gbox and new actuator at some point, am I correct in thinking that even if this one still works, I will need a 36V version?

Attachments

• dish 001.jpg
    dish 001.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 227
  • dish 003.jpg
    dish 003.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 244
Here's a picture of the dish and the inside of it's Venture actuator. Assuming the actuator still works, I'm going to try hooking it up to the analog receiver and see if I can get it motorized.

Probably going to end up getting the Gbox and new actuator at some point, am I correct in thinking that even if this one still works, I will need a 36V version?

if it works ? save money
there are somethings on the old box a few times a year.

Nice sami dish. I have a 7.5' out back and its a great little antenna. it picks up most everything. I used to watch HBO and cinemax from G15 (G1 4dtv). everybody used to cry and complain about getting pixellation on those harder to lock feeds because of their 7/8 fec and for us low on the horizon. You will love the sami. I remember my first c band signal. It was the outdoor channel dvb if my memory serves me right (4180H-29270) on G10R at 123w.
I was using a 6 foot commercial prodelin offset Ku antenna with an astrotel gold series 20 degree lnbf with a scalar ring for offset dish. I had another astrotel off to the side of that one at the time to get 127w c-band back in the day. My prodelin was rescued from the roof of a local car dealer who no longer was going to use Hughes Network services in favor of DSL broadband.

I still have it and I have a 1.2 Meter prodelin that I have never put up or used.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)