Got the Hopper yesterday... WOW!

FogNoggin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Kingston, NY
I just upgraded from a single TV and the VIP612 to four TV's with the Hopper and three Joeys. I AM THRILLED. :)

Forget about the whole-home-DVR experience. That's great, but the Hopper alone is magnificent. I highly recommend the Hopper even if you're a one-TV household and don't need any Joeys. (Does Dish offer this?) The older Dish DVR's are going to be gathering dust somewhere because the Hopper puts them to shame. PTAT with the Auto-Hop is a huge bonus, too.

Also worth noting, everyone in our house agrees that the picture is MUCH improved by the Hopper. I finally feel that our TV is hi-def. Beautiful!

I can get Time Warner cable in my area, but Dish is so much better for their equipment alone. The Time Warner DVR is a child's toy.

I'm done raving. If anyone is on the fence about upgrading, do it.

P.S. The install tech was a great guy and we chatted about a lot of things. He's from PA and living in a hotel here in NY four the next month along with MANY other Dish techs. He explained that DirectTV just dropped a group of Chinese channels and Dish expects a huge influx of customers because of this. They've shuffled techs around to fulfill the need.

Great to hear you are enjoying the Hopper system! :)

Many have noticed/commented on the difference they see in picture quality as well

Id love to know if its the new Broadcom chip, or something else. i use my weekly shows to evaluate differences, because we watch them so often. I wont be able to use the Hopper fully until the 30th, because we are heading to Pigeon Forge tomorrow.

Every time I have upgraded to the newest hd receiver, I see a slight improvement in pq. I saw it with the 722k , the 922 and now the hopper. I think each new receiver has the newest broadband chip, which gives it the improvement.

I personally never noticed anything going from a 622 to a 722k. Its been so long no way I can compare the 722k to a Hopper either. I figure itll either look good, OK, or bad :)

Ive only watched ESPN so far, and you can't use that as an evaluation because it varies by game.

Id love to know if its the new Broadcom chip, or something else. i use my weekly shows to evaluate differences, because we watch them so often. I wont be able to use the Hopper fully until the 30th, because we are heading to Pigeon Forge tomorrow.

I think in the past, Scott may have mentioned the chip that may play role in the better PQ to those that have reported it from VIP to Hopper

Glad you are loving your Hopper! It really is an awesome system. Out of curiosity, which ViP receiver did you have? I personally haven't noticed a difference in PQ between the 722k and the Hopper. They both have excellent PQ IMO. I know that the non-k receivers have older chipsets. Perhaps that is the difference? I've heard people say that the 722k/922 (same chipset) have better PQ than the 622/722 due to the newer chips.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)