Got update U303 on hopper 3

The reason I don't keep the receiver off is because my mom who is almost 90 years old is illiterate, she only knows how to turn on and off the tv, doesn't know how to change channels, or use the replay stuff so it's easier keeping the box on and then if she turns the tv on and it's showing some show as it's always tuned to the same channel, I can always rewind using the buffer which is not possible if the box is on standby. Standby is only useful if you were recording everything already, otherwise you would not be able to go back in the buffer.
another thing to think about: you only get Program Guide updates in standby.

Reactions: navychop
another thing to think about: you only get Program Guide updates in standby.
Interesting, wonder if one can set a certain time for the box to go into standby. That one would seem weird because it seems like my Program Guide is up to date and also shows what's happening in the future. I mean I thought those who had H3 installs, the program guide took some time to update with the box on.

Interesting, wonder if one can set a certain time for the box to go into standby. That one would seem weird because it seems like my Program Guide is up to date and also shows what's happening in the future. I mean I thought those who had H3 installs, the program guide took some time to update with the box on.
I've turned my receiver off and saw it immediately start a "program guide update" along with "percentage completed" - before I turned the TV off. As far as I know, there is no way to "time" a standby. Chances are, you have it off now and then - probably just long enough.

Last edited:
I'm confused. How can some of us get 5.1 with Netflix and others don't. I get 5.1 on my Roku fine, but only stereo on Hopper 3.
I agree - my Roku shows Dolby Surround on my Yamaha receiver but the Dish shows PCM. I tested this last night with the same episode of "Jessica Jones" and found Dolby vs. PCM.
Dish and Netflix still have some work to do on this.

Not bad. Netflix is a great deal but With capped internet and 4k stream is not so good. Hate comcast cap so switched to business class just because of this.

Not bad. Netflix is a great deal but With capped internet and 4k stream is not so good. Hate comcast cap so switched to business class just because of this.
i am only getting 6mps from frontier you see i cannot get anyone else that does intenet that i would trust righ tnow

From https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444:
What do I need to stream Ultra HD?

• A TV compatible with Ultra HD streaming from Netflix. See below for more details.
  • A plan that supports streaming in Ultra HD. You can check which plan you're currently on at www.netflix.com/ChangePlan.
  • A steady Internet connection speed of 25 megabits per second or higher. See below for more details.
  • Streaming quality set to "High." More information about video quality settings can be found in our Playback Settings article.

I agree - my Roku shows Dolby Surround on my Yamaha receiver but the Dish shows PCM. I tested this last night with the same episode of "Jessica Jones" and found Dolby vs. PCM.
Dish and Netflix still have some work to do on this.

There is a setting on the new Hopper to pass thru DD versus PCM - I was getting on 2.0 PCM until I changed it. Not sure on the Netflix app since I am the one person who does not use Netflix left in the US.

i have a strange problem since i got the new hopper, the osd screen on my pioneer rec (volume ) is not showing up on my 4k samsung tv,- i just got the 303 software and it started too work but now its gone again. i dont know whats going on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts