Got update U303 on hopper 3

i have a strange problem since i got the new hopper, the osd screen on my pioneer rec (volume ) is not showing up on my 4k samsung tv,- i just got the 303 software and it started too work but now its gone again. i dont know whats going on.
You are controlling the volume with the Auxiliary device (Pioneer receiver), right? To double-check:
  1. Press Home > Menu > Settings > Remote Control.
  2. Under Devices, configure Auxiliary Device for your AV Receiver. There is a built-in Search function so you do not have to have a device code.
  3. Under Customizations, select Volume & Mute Buttons Control Auxiliary Device's Volume.

Reactions: jimijam28
There is a setting on the new Hopper to pass thru DD versus PCM - I was getting on 2.0 PCM until I changed it. Not sure on the Netflix app since I am the one person who does not use Netflix left in the US.

Dolby 5.1 works fine from my Hopper 3 for regular TV. Just not getting it from Netflix. I'd like to know how others are. I have the DD pass through on.

You are controlling the volume with the Auxiliary device (Pioneer receiver), right? To double-check:
  1. Press Home > Menu > Settings > Remote Control.
  2. Under Devices, configure Auxiliary Device for your AV Receiver. There is a built-in Search function so you do not have to have a device code.
  3. Under Customizations, select Volume & Mute Buttons Control Auxiliary Device's Volume.
yeah that part works the volume - but i would used get a pop up screen showing me the volume (osd display) it not working when i got the hopper 3 and i just got the new 303 and it just started too work , now it stop working again- i have no idea what up

Does Netflix come through Dish via our normal Internet ISP's to the Joey 3 , if that's the case my Sony Android 4K TV Netflix run time app is likely better maybe picture wise and likely has a better Netflix UI anyway and does anyone know if these 4K Joey's and Hopper 3 's can pass a 2160p HDR signal at HDMI 2.0a bandwidth :p

The content providers and Cable /Sat DBS carriers do such a s***ty job with a lot of what they have now I'm a little skeptical that we might not eventually end up with 4K lite ( UHD lite ) and maybe HDR lite like they do now with HDTV ....( HD lite) although I'm not expecting 4K UHD HDR -10 or D.V. BD ( 4K HDR Blue Ray) quality something decent would be nice :p

Last edited:
There is a setting on the new Hopper to pass thru DD versus PCM - I was getting on 2.0 PCM until I changed it. Not sure on the Netflix app since I am the one person who does not use Netflix left in the US.

Dolby 5.1 works fine from my Hopper 3 for regular TV. Just not getting it from Netflix. I'd like to know how others are. I have the DD pass through on.

Everything I have connected runs through my Denon receiver. Netflix works fine on my H3 except, no DD 5.1. All other connected devices switch to whatever audio stream is appropriate. This includes Netflix on Roku tested on the same source material, BTW & this is with DD 5.1 pass through enabled on the H3.

Everything I have connected runs through my Denon receiver. Netflix works fine on my H3 except, no DD 5.1. All other connected devices switch to whatever audio stream is appropriate. This includes Netflix on Roku tested on the same source material, BTW & this is with DD 5.1 pass through enabled on the H3.

Exactly. I don't know how anybody is getting DD 5.1 to work through the Hopper 3.

Reactions: D. Manley
I've turned my receiver off and saw it immediately start a "program guide update" along with "percentage completed" - before I turned the TV off. As far as I know, there is no way to "time" a standby. Chances are, you have it off now and then - probably just long enough.

Interesting since even when I haven't turned the box to standby, I still have 9 days in the program guide as specified in the Hopper 3 feature sheet. I thought with the older boxes prior to the Hopper, people were able to schedule the time to do the software update. What I think it really does is that it might actually download the software while it is powered out of standby and just like a computer, the software update is not active until the H3 actually reboots since as with any OS, it might require a new kernel which loads the drivers or modules.

Interesting since even when I haven't turned the box to standby, I still have 9 days in the program guide as specified in the Hopper 3 feature sheet. I thought with the older boxes prior to the Hopper, people were able to schedule the time to do the software update. What I think it really does is that it might actually download the software while it is powered out of standby and just like a computer, the software update is not active until the H3 actually reboots since as with any OS, it might require a new kernel which loads the drivers or modules.
I've heard a number of people who had pre-Hopper hardware and apparently they did have the option to schedule updates. The inability to do so with the Hopper(s) has been an ongoing frustration for many users. As for program updates, I have no idea how it works - only what I've seen. And I've very definitely seen messages pertaining to the channel guide download in progress when the Hopper is turned off. I can't remember when this has happened as far as a reboot is concerned. It (channel guide update) definitely happens a lot more often than the firmware updates. Interesting - I'd like to understand it better.

I've heard a number of people who had pre-Hopper hardware and apparently they did have the option to schedule updates. The inability to do so with the Hopper(s) has been an ongoing frustration for many users. As for program updates, I have no idea how it works - only what I've seen. And I've very definitely seen messages pertaining to the channel guide download in progress when the Hopper is turned off. I can't remember when this has happened as far as a reboot is concerned. It (channel guide update) definitely happens a lot more often than the firmware updates. Interesting - I'd like to understand it better.
Also remember that your Hopper will go to standby after X hours of inactivity - unless you have specified otherwise (which I've read many times is not a good idea).

I think I actually just caught the H3 doing a Guide update. I went to activities screen where yo see which tuners are doing what and tuner 1 and three were busy with a channel and tuner 2 was busy with a Guide Update showing in cursive font. a few minutes later I checked again and it was gone.

Yeah, that's how I knew about it as I read people with pre-hopper boxes here many years ago saying they can schedule the updates. I've seen the channel guide download mentioned on the H2K on the standby screen too. I mean channel guide updates shouldn't even need the box going into standby as that is just info. It's the software that needs to reboot because technically it's a OS.

I think I actually just caught the H3 doing a Guide update. I went to activities screen where yo see which tuners are doing what and tuner 1 and three were busy with a channel and tuner 2 was busy with a Guide Update showing in cursive font. a few minutes later I checked again and it was gone.

Yes, but that is with the box not in standby. xfoneguy said the box only does updates when the H3 is on standby. I know on my Hopper 2000, it will always say the guide is updating whenever meaning each time it is on standby. Just like you, when the box is on, the guide updates since the Hopper 3 is supposed to contain up to 9 days for the guide. Even when I didn't turn the box to standby for the first 5 days, it has always showed 9 days of programming info in the guide for the next 9 days.

Yes, but that is with the box not in standby. xfoneguy said the box only does updates when the H3 is on standby. I know on my Hopper 2000, it will always say the guide is updating whenever meaning each time it is on standby. Just like you, when the box is on, the guide updates since the Hopper 3 is supposed to contain up to 9 days for the guide. Even when I didn't turn the box to standby for the first 5 days, it has always showed 9 days of programming info in the guide for the next 9 days.
I can't say for sure on the "program guide" - all I said was that I've seen a message on the screen indicating that the guide is updating when the box is on standby. And I'm fairly certain (someone is sure to correct me if I'm wrong) that firmware updates will only happen when the Hopper is in standby..

I actually noticed that on a tuner as well - so now I've seen it both in standby and in the "TV activity" screen - that kind of leads me to believe that guide information must be able to start in one place and continue/finish in another?

Something else I've wondered: Do all updates of any kind come from the satellite or does anything come over the phone line? It seems like some kind of information did at one time but maybe not anymore?

Ok since u303 was applied earlier this week I now have 3 new issues that did not exist before. 1) creating a new timer defaults the folder to the last folder created it no longer defaults to 'No Folder' as it should... 2) some previous timers that were imported from Hopper w/Sling which were seek and record are no longer working and with the inability to create a new seek and record this really screws up my timers. 3) went to transfer "excess" programs to my EHD, selected 6 only 3 transferred, ok reboot then was able to move the remaining 3 so I selected 6 more and only 2 transferred this time, EHD is good, usb is good and prior to u303 worked as it should.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts