Gotta love Dish!!

I have NO interest in what you or anyone else pays for TV service. I worry only about my costs... :D
Yeah... you do realize that increasing prices all around does affect you as well... or are you also the type of person that always merges from a closed lane on the highway, at the last second to "save time", when in fact, if everyone merged early, there wouldn't be a backup to start with?

No not happy.
Directv will cut my bill by MUCH more than $10 a month plus I get new state of the art equipment.

Why would I accept a $10 a month discount when I can get $25 a month and more from someone else?
Directv wouldn't be discounting your bill. That'd be a new bill.

I don't switch every 2 years but I do rotate between Dish and Directv and sometimes my cable provider every 3 or 4 to take advantage of promos and equipment upgrades. Why pay $200 or whatever it is to upgrade to an HDDVR when someone else will give it to you for free?
Dish does upgrade some subscribers to an HD-DVR for free, I was one of them.
I would absolutely switch every 2 years if it wasn't for the hassle of taking a day of work to wait for an installer.
So you are defensive to begin the post, then admit that you like to play the promo rate game. Pick one and stick with it.

Big corporations show absolutely no loyalty to customers so why should customers show loyalty to them. They prove they have no loyalty by giving new customers better prices than loyal customers. It doesn't bother me that they do this because I get it but the idea that we should somehow feel guilty for switching providers is ridiculous.
Dish Network also gave everyone a $13 a month premium for free for 12 months. That isn't showing any love to their customers?

Edit: When it comes to smaller locally owened businesses I am very loyal. I don't feel anything when I leave a huge corporation that makes millions of dollars in profits every year though.
But in switching and going with promo rates everywhere, that raises rates for other subscribers. This isn't just about the corporations. Don't mistake being cheap with being reasonable.

Actually I wasn't defensive to begin my post. I explained that I only switch every 3 or 4 years and then I said I would like to do it every two if it wasn't for the hassle. No waffling back and forth there.

Sure Dish gives out promotions or upgrades to current customers every now and then. So does everyone else but the bottom line is that new customers still pay less than loyal customers. I don't see how blindly paying more when a similar alternative is available is the reasonable alternative here. You say cheap, I say financially responsible.

I don't pay $3.40 a gallon at BP when the Citgo next door is $3.20 just because I have been to the BP before either.

As long as pay tv providers continue to use the current model...provide the best deal to new subs folks will jump ship to save dollars.
If the economy was stronger and stable I expect there would be less churn. Switching is work I know thismay sound lame but remotes are different, channel numbers are different, etc. So the reasons to move, at least imho, must be compelling.
As to loyalty, we may have watched 5 movies in a year on STARZ, if Dish asked me what I would have liked as a thankyou, free premium or $13 off for 12 mo. I would have taken the $13. I also feel that loyalty goes both ways. If I call my provider and tell them I can go elsewhere for x price and ask if they will meet that price to keep my business, I would hope they would try to do something to keep me.
From all reports, it seems that with Dish the real offers don't come until after a new contract has been signed (with a new provider).
I frequently will check the compition and Dish remains the best pay tv option for my family. So.....

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Sure, If Dish would offer me a new 2 year contract when mine ends with new customer pricing I would be happy to sign. Unfortunately, none of the providers operate this way. They would rather get new customers and pay for full installation costs.

I'm not against new customers getting these deals but they could save themselves some money. instead of paying for my installation 3 or 4 times they could have just installed once and kept me locked in as a customer with new contracts. I hope my posts don't sound ant-Dish because this goes for the whole industry. I just happen to be with Dish right now.

Don't mistake being cheap with being reasonable.

I am reasonable. I feel no loyalty for Dish as you do. They provide a service. I pay them $$$. If I am not in a contract then I go where my $$ goes the furthest. Does a professional athlete go for the best contract?. Of course. Does that athlete worry that ticket prices will go up because of his contract? Does he worry that ESPN might cost more because he is greedy? :D

I do the same. I am not cheap unless you call spending $100 a month on TV cheap. :)
Like the professional athlete, I go for the best contract for Me. Best value for your money, it is the American way.

Lazy Senior...PLEASE move on and spare the rest of us from your SENIOR MOMENTS. I'm not that far behind you, but please, don't make this site the focus or your boredom and your incessant repetitiveness.

Last edited:
if Dish asked me what I would have liked as a thankyou, free premium or $13 off for 12 mo. I would have taken the $13.
I get your point, but one of those options doesn't reduce Dish's revenue, the other does.

I think they all do this because they know that the chances are that the average customer WON'T cancel and go to another provider - so they call your bluff. I think the people here on these forums are certainly savvy enough to beat them at their game, but for each one of us that call D*'s or E*'s bluff and churn away, there are probably hundreds more that don't and are happy with the lesser awards. The average person probably doesn't want to go through the motions of switching.

the funny thing is, nobody has addressed the root cause. It's simple and stupid. The shareholders are only interested in NEW customers. I don't mean virgin customers, just new ones. If you leave and then come back in such a way that you look new, that's all that matters. The shareholders don't give one hoot about customer base. for them the ideal would be to have everyone leave and then come back. How's that for stupid?
Most corporate decisions made to appeal to "the street" and appease stockholders are usually stupid and shortsighted, intended only for short-term gains in stock price. Conversely, those same decisions are usually bad for the long-term health and success of the company. They are almost never good for the customer.

Sure, If Dish would offer me a new 2 year contract when mine ends with new customer pricing I would be happy to sign. Unfortunately, none of the providers operate this way.
Cellular carriers do just that. In fact, some let you do it at 18 months, 6 months before the contract ends. They've managed to figure it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts