Gotta love Dish!!

Empiretc, You could not have said it better. Please apply for DISH Programming Executive.

Not sure they would pay enough to put up with the BS, lol. Been self-employed for 14+ years, and our long time customers get perks and freebies the relatively new ones do not.

This thread actually encouraged me to cancel Dish today. I..... The ante was upped, however this is not even close to what new customers get at Dish. It is not close to what new customers get at Directv either....

They will let you go. We are their ideal customer- purchased all the equipment and self installed. Called, activated and setup autopay. We have never called to haggle about prices or promotions. (now that DIRT is here will send a PM about one but do not fight or cry about it if denied). In the past 8 years we cancelled twice and they never tried to retain us. They did, however, harass us constantly about returning. Be ready for that.

They will let you go.

They did, however, harass us constantly about returning. Be ready for that.

Oh yes, I know that. I have already cancelled Dish twice in the last 10 years. This will be the 3rd time to leave Dish. They always call and try to get you to reconsider. I even helped them this time. I cancelled today, and do not yet have a contract with Directv. They have a little time to get me into another 2 year contract. I am going to wait a week before signing up with Directv. Will Dish make me an offer that will make me sign another 2 year contract with them? No, very unlikely.

What would make me sign up again with Dish?. Any new customer (my choice) promo they are now offering MINUS the new equipment or new installation. I already have the equipment. Will they do this? No, even though it would make economic sense for them. I would be cheaper to retain than signing up a new customer offer WITH equipment and installation..

For all those wondering : I have always been a perfect customer. Never complained and bill always paid electronically on time..

If DISH had any sense at all ,they would offer the same promotions to their existing subs as they do their new or potential subs. An ounce of Prevention is worth a Pound of Cure. But they are Reactive rather than proactive, just like just about all companies. They wait till you leave and then offer you the very thing you wanted in the first place. Simply stupid and short sighted.
Or a tiered system. People that have been with Dish for 5 years save $5 a month. People that have been with Dish for 10 years save $10 a month. Granted, people would say it should be $10 and $20, then $20 and $40... then Ergen should be washing their car!

I do not understand how $10 a month for a year is "lucky" or worth a new 2 year contract. At $92 (my present bill) a month, I would spend at least $2208 in a 2 year contract. $120 for a $2208 2 year contract? It is Dish that would be the lucky one.. FWIW I turned down the $120 rebate, I can do MUCH better churning to Directv...

I never said it was a deal, just that they don't bother offering that to everyone these days. Most people do the churn turn that don't mind switching back and forth. It's the only way you're going to get the reductions in costs for which you're looking. I've never did the churn and burn myself, but I'm seriously considering it now after 13 plus years.

People that have been with Dish for 5 years save $5 a month. People that have been with Dish for 10 years save $10 a month. Granted, people would say it should be $10 and $20, then $20 and $40... then Ergen should be washing their car!

At Dish they are offering a discount of $15 a month for 12 mos and free equipment protection for 6 months worth $36 for new customers.

As an existing 2 year customer Dish offered me a $10 discount for 12 mos.

Right now as a new customer at Directv I can get a discount of $25 a month for 12 mos, and $10 a month for the second 12 mos. Not to mention free premimum for 3 mos.

I have had experience with both companys. I have no preference. I like both services. Bottom line is who will give me the best price for the next 2 years of TV service. I do not even need a calculator to figure out the answer. :)

At Dish they are offering a discount of $15 a month for 12 mos and free equipment protection for 6 months worth $36 for new customers.

Right now as a new customer at Directv I can get a discount of $25 a month for 12 mos, and $10 a month for the second 12 mos. Not to mention free premimum for 3 mos.

I have had experience with both companys. I have no preference. I like both services. Bottom line is who will give me the best price for the next 2 years of TV service. I do not even need a calculator to figure out the answer. :)
Then GO already!!!

the funny thing is, nobody has addressed the root cause. It's simple and stupid. The shareholders are only interested in NEW customers. I don't mean virgin customers, just new ones. If you leave and then come back in such a way that you look new, that's all that matters. The shareholders don't give one hoot about customer base. for them the ideal would be to have everyone leave and then come back. How's that for stupid?

the funny thing is, nobody has addressed the root cause. It's simple and stupid. The shareholders are only interested in NEW customers. I don't mean virgin customers, just new ones. If you leave and then come back in such a way that you look new, that's all that matters. The shareholders don't give one hoot about customer base. for them the ideal would be to have everyone leave and then come back. How's that for stupid?

Yeh, let's talk about stupid.

Yeh, let's talk about stupid.

Dish needs to run the company like I run my household. I am a (Lazy) (Retired) Senior. I only have so much money to spend. I spend it wisely making every $ count. If I can save money, I do. I shop around for the lowest gasoline price. When I buy a vehicle I shop around and get the lowest price. My wife uses coupons to stretch the $.

Why should I pay top dollar for TV service when I can save hundeds at the other guy? The answer is simple I do not. I give my present TV service (Dish) every opportunity for my business for the next 2 years. If they do not want to compete that is fine with me. Dish and Directv would rather let an existing "out of contract" customer leave than give them a new customer promo that costs them less then getting a new customer because no equipment or installation costs are involved. Now that IS stupid.

So they are willing to cut your bill by $10 a month, which is possibly more than a 10% cut... and you aren't happy that is enough?

Well, enjoy making Sat TV expensive for the rest of us. :)

My question: is the new system going to work with the same cabling that may/may not have been causing your Dish receiver to have issues??? I'm just sayin' I read your other thread & without swapping lines at your switch or at the LNB to verify that the issue is in the receiver in question, problem may lie in your cabling inside the wall and the new Direct hardware may experience issues too.

So they are willing to cut your bill by $10 a month, which is possibly more than a 10% cut... and you aren't happy that is enough?
:)

No not happy.
Directv will cut my bill by MUCH more than $10 a month plus I get new state of the art equipment.

Why would I accept a $10 a month discount when I can get $25 a month and more from someone else?

i had direct for over ten years, when i canceled they offered to cut my bill by $20.00 a month. (it was too late already signed with dish) nice offer though, i now have dish through my phone service, saving me $30.00 a month.

on a side note a lady down the street has direct and called to cancel for financial reasons (husband went to jail) they have given her FREE service for a full year.

When the economy is strong, we tend to stick with brands products and services that we are comfortable with. When its not eventually we look for ways to stretch the dollar.
We have a roku and are putting up an antenna then we are going to suspend service and try living without all the non broadcast stuff. Sure there are things we will both miss but a net savings of about $700 a year willpay for the pellets for our stove for the winter.
A lot depends on life style and goals as well as disposable income.
I do agree that more should be done to keep customers it just makes sense to me....

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

We have a roku and are putting up an antenna then we are going to suspend service and try living without all the non broadcast stuff. Sure there are things we will both miss

IMO this is going to be the new way to watch TV. On demand TV thru the internet or cable system. I too have a Roku, along with Netflix streaming and Amazon Prime streaming. I find myself watching Netfix more and more and Satellite TV less and less. Netflix has something the Satellite companys do not have - Value. At $8 a month, it is much cheaper than any premium channel. The Satellite companys already realize that "on demand" is the next big thing, that is why they are doing it too.

Well, enjoy making Sat TV expensive for the rest of us. :)

I don't switch every 2 years but I do rotate between Dish and Directv and sometimes my cable provider every 3 or 4 to take advantage of promos and equipment upgrades. Why pay $200 or whatever it is to upgrade to an HDDVR when someone else will give it to you for free? I would absolutely switch every 2 years if it wasn't for the hassle of taking a day of work to wait for an installer.

Big corporations show absolutely no loyalty to customers so why should customers show loyalty to them. They prove they have no loyalty by giving new customers better prices than loyal customers. It doesn't bother me that they do this because I get it but the idea that we should somehow feel guilty for switching providers is ridiculous.

Edit: When it comes to smaller locally owened businesses I am very loyal. I don't feel anything when I leave a huge corporation that makes millions of dollars in profits every year though.

Last edited:
I don't switch every 2 years but I do rotate between Dish and Directv and sometimes my cable provider every 3 or 4 to take advantage of promos and equipment upgrades. Why pay $200 or whatever it is to upgrade to an HDDVR when someone else will give it to you for free? I would absolutely switch every 2 years if it wasn't for the hassle of taking a day of work to wait for an installer.

Big corporations show absolutely no loyalty to customers so why should customers show loyalty to them. They prove they have no loyalty by giving new customers better prices than loyal customers. It doesn't bother me that they do this because I get it but the idea that we should somehow feel guilty for switching providers is ridiculous.

Edit: When it comes to smaller locally owened businesses I am very loyal. I don't feel anything when I leave a huge corporation that makes millions of dollars in profits every year though.

You shouldn't feel guilty about taking the best deal. It's the economically rational thing to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts