Gotta love Dish!!

I'm sure that they both reduce revenue. One just reduces it more than the other. (Unless, they are cheating Starz by not paying them for every Starz sub.)
I'm going to play the semantic card and point out that I mentioned "revenue", not net profits. :p

I'm not. I'm not enjoying the ride there, either. In fact, I wish I could turn the life car around, and go back a few exits.
That would be nice...btw, just in case you didn't notice, my post was sarcasm (punctuated with the rolled eyes)

Wow. That was a lot of posts in a row.

And this one only added to it.

No more coffee after 9pm. I promise.
Multi-quote works better. :D

Cellular carriers do just that. In fact, some let you do it at 18 months, 6 months before the contract ends. They've managed to figure it out.

Yes!! Every two years my cell company sends me new customer promos. Most are worth 4-5 hundred dollars. Why? They WANT me in another 2 year contract. The cell companys do not want anyone out of contract. When you are out of contract a customer can think about alternatives.

A really nice gesture from dish would be to eliminate those crazy Dvr fees.
They can advertise how they are the only ones who ''don't'' charge a dvr fee.

Id be happy with that move. To me they are getting incredibly greedy with these fees.

GaryPen said:
Cellular carriers do just that. In fact, some let you do it at 18 months, 6 months before the contract ends. They've managed to figure it out.

Exactly. This is why I've had a Verizon cell phone for over 10 years and for the last 6 they have had me on the more expensive smartphone data plans.

I am currently on my 3rd run with dish because the new customer deals are so much better than staying put.

Id be happy with that move. To me they are getting incredibly greedy with these fees.

Honestly, I don't believe it. Yes, you would be happy for awhile, but at some point it will be some other cost everyone complains about. I will say it again, you have to look at the bottom line. Dish with their DVR and other fees costs less overall than Direct with their present fees. If you want the fees to go down, you are naive if you think the package prices won't go up. We may not "think" dish needs to make as much profit as they do, obviously they think they do or can, and since they are at the very least equal to Direct in cost, how can you say they are charging too much?? Dish has allowed those with minimal needs or money to get more than Direct can give at a given cost, and those who want more than two or maybe three receivers may pay more than Direct. That's their business model. I can't understand why that is so hard to see. If Direct is less for you, go to Direct, of course then you get "but they don't have the channels we watch in HD"
Obviously I would love to not pay some of the fees, and if Dish will do it without raising any other costs great. Good luck with that. If Dish thought perhaps reducing a little the fee would result in greatly increasing subscribers, that would be a different story of course. I obviously do not know that to be the case.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't believe it.

Dish has allowed those with minimal needs or money to get more than Direct can give at a given cost, and those who want more than two or maybe three receivers may pay more than Direct.

If Direct is less for you, go to Direct, of course then you get "but they don't have the channels we watch in HD"

Dish is not any Cheaper than Directv, that is an internet Myth. I have done the math for a 2 year contract with both companys. For continuing with Dish my costs would be $92 X 24 = $2208 for the next 2 years - 2 HD DVRS, AT 200, HBO. You can knock off a $120 discount which Dish offered me to stay for a 2year contract. Total= $2088

For Directv , the total cost with promos would be $1820 which includes the upfront cost ($200) for 2 DVR's, one of which is the HR34 whole home DVR. With Directv I also would have the advantage of new state of the art DVR's and 7 tuners VS the 4 I have with Dish.

Another Internet Myth is that Dish has more HD channels than Directv. I even believed this myself until recently. Directv is the winner in the most HD channels category. The compilation of HD channels is on the other satellite site. You can check it out yourself.

About 12 years ago that was the way DISH advertised their pvrs: " NO FEES to tapeless record your shows like the other guys charge. " Also DISH added more subs than EVER in that short period of time that they had no dvr fees. The difference was back then they wanted to expand their sub base. Now I think their focus is all about short term profits. They continue to make increasing profits on an ever Decreasing base of subs, that can only be contributed to by the ever Increasing DISH FEES. Notice that is not sustainable in the long term for a company to survive, which leads me to believe that they are only trying to push up the price of DISH for a quick sale to anyone willing to pay the price, like the new Ceo said at the Ces conference, or they are incredibly stupid and don't know how to run a company . The new DISH ceo said that DISH was looking for someone to buy them or they (DISH) was looking to buy another company. Sounds like Charlie is looking to sell off DISH and concentrate on the Echostar part of the empire.

Dish is not any Cheaper than Directv, that is an internet Myth.

Another Internet Myth is that Dish has more HD channels than Directv. I even believed this myself until recently. Directv is the winner in the most HD channels category. The compilation of HD channels is on the other satellite site. You can check it out yourself.
Outside of the new customer deals, Dish is cheaper than DirecTV for 1 HD and 1 SD TV and a low end plan. New customer deals, you're absolutely right that DirecTV is much cheaper. Also for lots of TVs, DirecTV is cheaper.

However, raw HD count doesn't tell the whole story. DirecTV still lacks the following HD channels that Dish has (could be a little out of date). This is the main reason I couldn't go back to DirecTV even if I wanted to. I can't stand DirecTV SD, so I'd lose many of my favorite programs.

BBCA, Bloomberg, Centric, Cooking, DIY, E!, G4, Gala, GSN, H2, HLN, Hub, ID, Lifetime Movie, Logo, Mav, Nat Geo Wild, OWN, Pixl, Sportsman, Style, TCM, Tru, Veria, Epix1/2/3, IndiePlex, RetroPlex

Even if some of those aren't your cup of tea, you have to admit that a very big list and very a significant difference. Although DirecTV has some HD that Dish lacks, most of it is sports, premiums and PPV, so the numbers are misleading IMO. So with DirecTV, there is a lot of content that's still SD, and to add insult to injury it's so overly compressed, it's unwatchable. So I wouldn't take it even if they gave it away. Free crap is still crap.

Dish is not any Cheaper than Directv, that is an internet Myth. I have done the math for a 2 year contract with both companys. For continuing with Dish my costs would be $92 X 24 = $2208 for the next 2 years - 2 HD DVRS, AT 200, HBO. You can knock off a $120 discount which Dish offered me to stay for a 2year contract. Total= $2088

For Directv , the total cost with promos would be $1820 which includes the upfront cost ($200) for 2 DVR's, one of which is the HR34 whole home DVR. With Directv I also would have the advantage of new state of the art DVR's and 7 tuners VS the 4 I have with Dish.

I have posted this before so I'm not just saying it now, I do not consider any promos period. The cost of Dish for most people who do not go from provider to provider is less per month that is not a myth. I do agree with three, maybe four and up receivers depending on what receivers and the configuration Direct does become less. I have always said that. You can't deny Dish is less right now regular pricing than Direct in most cases.

As for HD channels, it is a little deceiving to simply say Direct has the most HD channels. Take away sports, and Dish has more what I would call regular channels in HD. There are plenty of posts that highlight what the channels are. As an example: DIY, BBCA, Cook, History 2, Style, GSN, Hub,NatGeo W, G4, Tru, RFD, etc......... (There are more) Even after subtracting a few channels Direct has the Dish does not carry, (and the opposite is true also) Dish still has many more in HD. It also isn't an internet myth if you want the most sports, Direct TV has more and more in HD all the time, but equally true Dish does have many more non sports channels in HD.
Just to be clear, I am not nor ever do I knock Direct TV, if I didn't have Dish Direct would easily be my next choice.

(I am going by the Direct TV internet site, but I am not going by the Dish site, but rather by my own Top250 guide. I am aware Dish has some mistakes about HD channels on the site, it may just be what packages they are in, but in any case the list from Dish I am using is real.)

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't believe it. Yes, you would be happy for awhile, but at some point it will be some other cost everyone complains about. I will say it again, you have to look at the bottom line. Dish with their DVR and other fees costs less overall than Direct with their present fees. If you want the fees to go down, you are naive if you think the package prices won't go up. We may not "think" dish needs to make as much profit as they do, obviously they think they do or can, and since they are at the very least equal to Direct in cost, how can you say they are charging too much?? Dish has allowed those with minimal needs or money to get more than Direct can give at a given cost, and those who want more than two or maybe three receivers may pay more than Direct. That's their business model. I can't understand why that is so hard to see. If Direct is less for you, go to Direct, of course then you get "but they don't have the channels we watch in HD"
Obviously I would love to not pay some of the fees, and if Dish will do it without raising any other costs great. Good luck with that. If Dish thought perhaps reducing a little the fee would result in greatly increasing subscribers, that would be a different story of course. I obviously do not know that to be the case.
By "bottom line" I'll have to assume you're referring to Dish's bottom line. As someone who is a Dish subscriber and likes their service, but not a shareholder, I really don't give a damn about their bottom line, only mine. I understand corporations like Dish are constantly looking for ways to improve their bottom line, but that doesn't mean I have to support a fee structure that will apparently greatly improve theirs while weakening mine...

As for HD channels, it is a little deceiving to simply say Direct has the most HD channels.

I am not going by the Dish site, but rather by my own Top250 guide. I

We could argue for the next week about which HD channel is more important to you or I. The fact is overall on all fulltime HD channels Dish=136HD Channels Direct=159HD Channels
You do not have to go by your own guide - go over to the other satellite website in the General Satellite Discussion forum and download the PDF comparison guide for yourself. It is excellent and really done well. Very easy to read and current to last month.

One thing that really surprised me is Directv has more HD Premium movie channels than Dish (not counting the PPVs). I had always been led to believe that Dish had more Showtime,HBO,Starz.Max HD channels. They do not.

We could argue for the next week about which HD channel is more important to you or I. The fact is overall on all fulltime HD channels Dish=136HD Channels Direct=159HD Channels
You do not have to go by your own guide - go over to the other satellite website in the General Satellite Discussion forum and download the PDF comparison guide for yourself. It is excellent and really done well. Very easy to read and current to last month.

One thing that really surprised me is Directv has more HD Premium movie channels than Dish (not counting the PPVs). I had always been led to believe that Dish had more Showtime,HBO,Starz.Max HD channels. They do not.

+1 :)

GaryPen said:
I'm not. I'm not enjoying the ride there, either. In fact, I wish I could turn the life car around, and go back a few exits.

If you ever figure out how, play nice and share it with ME! :)

I have been completely satisfied with Dish for the past nearly two years after making the transition from Time Warner cable. However, in the interest of doing my due diligence I did look at Direct recently since I know that I could get new customer offers from them and it won't be likely I'll get much, if anything from Dish in a few months.

However, upon comparison of the missing HD nationals, I have come to the conclusion that Direct would never work for me until they add some additional national HD channels that get significant viewing time in my home.

I'd like HD RSNs full-time, and would definitely love ESPNU in HD which Direct has currently. However, I'd rather miss having HD on a few sports channels a few times a year when I really want to watch the particular game on those channels, than to miss the HD programming on the national channels that I watch virtually every day. BBCA, G4, H2, Lifetime, MAV, Nat Geo Wild, TCM, and TRU all get a lot of viewing in my home. One or more of those channels are watched virtually every day.

Those who say viewing habits/programming should determine what provider you go with are correct. Until Direct adds those channels I think I'd have to go back to TWC before I could go to them (not that I plan on leaving Dish), despite the inferior picture and equipment on TWC. Obviously there will be those who are exactly the opposite and see no value in the channels I watch and would rather have Direct programming. The competition between the two providers is great. Imagine how they'd stick it to us if they (either of them) were the only sat provider. I'm glad both companies are available to choose from! I even appreciate that fact we have cable as an option, too. Competition is good for us all! :)

I just dumped directv. Even with my first year I had nothing but problems with them. With directv you have to fill out forms online to get your rebates and with dish they are automatic. If you take away the premiums directv has then they really don't have more hd than dish.

Directv has horrible customer service to where you're fighting on the phone with them about anything. You can contact dish 24 hours a day to where with directv you can't. Also whenever it rained with directv my signal was dropped even after being realigned. Now with dish the other night, it rained moderate and my signal didn't drop once.

Directv has way to many infomercial channels. Dish has a few but no where as near the amount directv does. Plus Sirius satellite radio channels are 1000 times better and more of a selection than directv. So both have their positives and negatives but dish to me is better. I was offered a 200.00 gift card to switch to dish.

You don't have to go anywhere but the General Satellite Forum here to see ours in a sticky...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)