Gotta love Dish!!

fr8flyr

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 4, 2003
Providence Forge, VA
I quit Dish after 11 years and had DirectTV installed on Wed, due to Dish not being able to correct problems with one of my receivers http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-technical-discussions/277068-622-problems.html . Tonight they called me to ask why I was canceling service and what could they do to retain me as a customer. I explained, politely, everything that I had gone through and he offered to send out a tech. When I stopped laughing I told him Direct was already installed and working perfectly, he then hung up. Gotta love Dish!!

Earl

They all do this. Direct does the same to those that cancel as well

I still have TWC calling me and asking me to come back for their phone service.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I quit Dish after 11 years and had DirectTV installed on Wed, due to Dish not being able to correct problems with one of my receivers http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-technical-discussions/277068-622-problems.html . Tonight they called me to ask why I was canceling service and what could they do to retain me as a customer. I explained, politely, everything that I had gone through and he offered to send out a tech. When I stopped laughing I told him Direct was already installed and working perfectly, he then hung up. Gotta love Dish!!
Well, you must have liked something about Dish to stick with them for 11 years.

They all need to stop doing this and figure out a way to keep you before we've cancelled. It must not be worth it to any of them to do that, else you'd think they'd have figured out a way to by now.

They all need to stop doing this and figure out a way to keep you before we've cancelled.

You are not valuable as an existing customer. Only valuable as a new customer. I am getting ready to churn back to Directv from Dish. I have already called Dish to see what they would do to retain me and sign another 2 year contract. They offered me $60 rebate over 6 months which is laughable considering I can save hundreds on a 2 year Directv contract.

Directv does the same thing. 2 years ago I wanted a free HD DVR to replace a SD DVR. They refused only offering me $50 off a HDDVR. I signed with Dish and called Directv back to cancel. They offered me the free HD DVR that I only wanted the first time I called. It was to late, I was already in contract with Dish. Not too smart...

For 2 years Directv has been sending me monthly mailings begging me to come back and offering to pay my ETF up to $200. Why oh why did they not give me the HD DVR to start with and save them lots of $$$ trying to get me back?

You are not valuable as an existing customer. Only valuable as a new customer. I am getting ready to churn back to Directv from Dish. I have already called Dish to see what they would do to retain me and sign another 2 year contract. They offered me $60 rebate over 6 months which is laughable considering I can save hundreds on a 2 year Directv contract. Directv does the same thing. 2 years ago I wanted a free HD DVR to replace a SD DVR. They refused only offering me $50 off a HDDVR. I signed with Dish and called Directv back to cancel. They offered me the free HD DVR that I only wanted the first time I called. It was to late, I was already in contract with Dish. Not too smart...For 2 years Directv has been sending me monthly mailings begging me to come back and offering to pay my ETF up to $200. Why oh why did they not give me the HD DVR to start with and save them lots of $$$ trying to get me back?
I really don't see how these companies can make money off of churn. I guess most people are bluffing and the providers know this, so they call the customers bluff. It must work because these companies are making an awful lot of money.

If DISH had any sense at all ,they would offer the same promotions to their existing subs as they do their new or potential subs. An ounce of Prevention is worth a Pound of Cure. But they are Reactive rather than proactive, just like just about all companies. They wait till you leave and then offer you the very thing you wanted in the first place. Simply stupid and short sighted.

I really don't see how these companies can make money off of churn. I guess most people are bluffing and the providers know this, so they call the customers bluff.

Since 1995 I have churned 5 times. 3 with Directv and 2 with Dish. I am ready to churn back to Directv in a couple of weeks since my Dish contract expires on March 11. It is obvious to me that Dish is not going to offer me anything of value for another 2 year contract. I am considered a new customer at Directv and get excellent promos which save quite a bit of money over a 2 year period.

I never could understand why they do this, it just seems to me that an out of contract customer should get new customer promos. Really after your contract is up it makes financial sense to churn.

If DISH had any sense at all ,they would offer the same promotions to their existing subs as they do their new or potential subs. An ounce of Prevention is worth a Pound of Cure. But they are Reactive rather than proactive, just like just about all companies. They wait till you leave and then offer you the very thing you wanted in the first place. Simply stupid and short sighted.

If the customer is not currently under contract with them, then I agree with you.

You would be surprised how many people call monthly and try getting a deal (even some that are under contract) and then get upset when they get nothing.

You are not valuable as an existing customer. Only valuable as a new customer.

Since 1995 I have churned 5 times. 3 with Directv and 2 with Dish. ..... Really after your contract is up it makes financial sense to churn.

Sadly, this is exactly the case. The family would mutiny if changing every two years was attempted. Things are in place and work well- leave it alone. This is what the providers bank on.

Don't know how they think getting (and losing) new customers every two years makes financial sense. Could have sworn they said it takes that long to break even on a new one.

In all honesty, the providers should offer different incentives after you have been a customer for X number of years. The longer you have been a customer, the better the incentives.

Sadly, this is exactly the case. The family would mutiny if changing every two years was attempted. Things are in place and work well- leave it alone. This is what the providers bank on.

Don't know how they think getting (and losing) new customers every two years makes financial sense. Could have sworn they said it takes that long to break even on a new one.

In all honesty, the providers should offer different incentives after you have been a customer for X number of years. The longer you have been a customer, the better the incentives.

Empiretc, You could not have said it better. Please apply for DISH Programming Executive.

Empiretc, You could not have said it better. Please apply for DISH Programming Executive.

I already suggested something like this. Dish already has in place a referral reward process for referring customers to Dish. Just expand it to allow self-referrals...get a $5 credit on your account as long as your referral (you) remains a Dish customer for 2 more years. Maximum of 5 referrals. either for yourself, or others. The mechanism is already in place to track it.

MikeD-C05 said:

Exactly and a waste of time and money...just another reason for dish to charge unnecessary fees....

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

This thread actually encouraged me to cancel Dish today. I had called a couple of weeks ago to cancel but they told me I could not cancel more than 30 days in advance. At that time I was offered a $60 rebate over 6 months. Today I was offered $120 over 12 months. The ante was upped, however this is not even close to what new customers get at Dish. It is not close to what new customers get at Directv either. From past experience I fully expect calls from Dish retention in the next week offering me more to stay. They had better hurry as I am going to sign up with Directv next week sometime..

Last edited:
If the customer is not currently under contract with them, then I agree with you.

You would be surprised how many people call monthly and try getting a deal (even some that are under contract) and then get upset when they get nothing.
i did a chat about a week ago and was offered a deal to go back to the top 250 and i accepted. i am under a contract.

This thread actually encouraged me to cancel Dish today. I had called a couple of weeks ago to cancel but they told I could not cancel more than 30 days in advance. At that time I was offered a $60 rebate over 6 months. Today I was offered $120 over 12 months. The ante was upped, however this is not even close to what new customers get at Dish. It is not close to what new customers get at Directv either. From past experience I fully expect calls from Dish retention in the next week offering me more to stay. They had better hurry as I am going to sign up with Directv next week sometime..

Consider yourself lucky they even offered $10 per month. They used to do that all the time and then went to half that. I can only guess they think they add to the bottom line in doing what they do. Without any data, I could only guess. Now if half the subs churned every year, they'd likely adopt a different policy.

Consider yourself lucky they even offered $10 per month.

I do not understand how $10 a month for a year is "lucky" or worth a new 2 year contract. At $92 (my present bill) a month, I would spend at least $2208 in a 2 year contract. $120 for a $2208 2 year contract? It is Dish that would be the lucky one.. FWIW I turned down the $120 rebate, I can do MUCH better churning to Directv...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts