Status
Please reply by conversation.

red hazard

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
St Louis Metro East (Illinois)
I will have DTV installed tomorrow with Ultimate Choice and International programming (95) going to two HD DVRs. I have been told I will be getting the SWM8 with the two Dishes. It is forecast to rain tomorrow so I am preparing everything I can to assist the installer. Question: Do you use grounding blocks with the SWM8 or does it serve as a grounding block? If grounding block is required, which side of the SWM8 do I install it on? BTW, the power inserter and
2X1 splitter will be installed in a utility/telecom room. THANKS

If there is a ground lug on the switch use that. You will eliminate a few fittings and a ground block put the switch near the ground bond for the house. Run the line from the dish to the switch, ground it, and connect the runs. If you can get the switch inside the building and still ground it that is best. IF not, then a ground block is an option for grounding.

Gotta look at something.................RE the international dish....& runs.......gotta pass on advice....There has to be a second dish to "see" the international signal from the 95 degree sat. Not sure how the signal from that sat is connected. Probably possible...Anyone?

Joe

Last edited:
The SWM 8 has 4 inputs for the Slimline & 2 Flexports for the international dish. It also has ground lugs. So you will have 4 lines from the one dish and 1 line from the other to feed you SWM8 signal. No other ground blocks are needed.

Red Hazzard,

Report how it goes. There is now a system built into Directv equipment that will block activation for low signals. I read that the intent is to give the customer superior results but actually cancels work on less than perfect days. This may not even be an issue unless the weather is really bad.

AND if they send a SWM8..it will be with four feeds as Liquidforce88 stated...so skipping the GB will eliminate eight fittings. Less is better! I was thinking of the SWM with one line, splitters & a PI.

I gotta wonder.... four lines from the Ka/Ku dish & one or two from the international.....that is a lot of feed cable. You may want to think about conduit for that bundle.

Skip the ground block.

Joe

Last edited:
Unless this switch will be installed outside, you MUST ground all four cables from the dish on the outside of the house, as close as possible to (but not more than 10 cable feet from) the point where they enter the house. If the switch is on the outside of the house, then it can be used for grounding purposes. It must be bonded (connected to the ground point) with at least #10 wire to meet code.

Thanks for the Responses

I was going to put a couple of grounding blocks for the 5 coax runs but am glad that's not necessary. Concur on the 10 extra connections being a nuisance to say the least. I was told by an installer that I will be getting the SWM8. It's apparently required with the 95 international bird or if you get an HD DVR and I'm getting both. I ran 5 coaxes from the entrance to the house from the location where the dishes will be installed. At least the installer, who has not yet arrived, won't have to crawl in the mud under the sun deck like I did yesterday. However, it is raining so they may cancel the install but nothing heard at this time (1316 CST). Will post after install is complete. And yes, grounding is available and the SWM8 will be about 15 inches from where the coaxes go into the house. A separate 8 ft grounding rod is about 8 feet away and is bonded with 4 AWG to the grounding rod at the service entrance about 30 feet away.

Unless this switch will be installed outside, you MUST ground all four cables from the dish on the outside of the house, as close as possible to (but not more than 10 cable feet from) the point where they enter the house. If the switch is on the outside of the house, then it can be used for grounding purposes. It must be bonded (connected to the ground point) with at least #10 wire to meet code.

Your right, that is what the NEC requires. Dumb IMHO. I have my equipment grounded inside at the media panel. It connects to the house bond, it's just not outside. It's one less connection exposed to weather. I don't want wires running down my exterior walls. I see no point on having the ground on the outside wall.

Thanks. I was aware of this as in my previous job, I took a team to inspect DoD telecom facilities. I just am not real familiar with the SWM8. The electrical engineer was responsible for inspecting the lightning protection and we always had the latest edition of the NEC which currently is 2008. BTW, grounding antennas and their supporting structure including cable runs is always required on the outside of the building because in that rare event of a lightning bolt (nearby or direct), outside grounding tends to keep the event outside the structure. Certainly don't want to invite it inside.

Though I talked about the install in another thread, I thought I would mention here that I got a WB68 vice SWM8 but the WB68 also serves as a ground block. Since I have 2 HR24s, and only have 2 coax runs to the HR24 in the famility room and want OTA there too, I sniped a new SWM8 w/PI for $30 + reasonable S&H and will swap out the WB68 when it arrives. "Experts" on this forum and the other site stated a SWM8 is installed with international dish installs OR SWM technolgy is used when a HDDVR is ordered. I ordered both and still got the WB68.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)