GPS Navigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokeworm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Tulsa. Ok.
Have just fond out that i will be taking a trip next month from Tulsa, Ok .. to Pigeon Forge, TN .. not one to want to miss an opportunity to buy a new toy, I've persuaded my better half that we need to get a GPS Navigation system for the car before we go.

:D :D :D

Now ... I've never used one before so am not really sure what I'm looking for.
Done a little research online and I think I have narrowed down to two.

Garmin StreetPilot c330 ($250 refurb or $300 new at Circuit City)
Or
Garmin StreetPilot Portable i5 ($200 but being discontinued at Circuit City)

I only need something cheap and cheerful that'll get me to where i want to go ... don't want to spend too much money on a toy that i won't get too much use out of after we get back.

Anyone got any tips or can tell me if i should fork out the extra $100 for the c330 over the i5 or anyone got any other suggestions ?

Anyone got one of these two products and can tell me what they like/dislike about them?

Thanks all.

:)

I wouldn't be without mine. I even use my cell phone version Tom-Tom when I fly and rent a car. Once you get used to one you will love it. So get one that has the features you want

I'd go for a Garmin with a micro-SD card, to provide you with flexibility in downloading maps.

I have posted this in an earlier thread several months ago, but I find that my eTrex Vista Cx works just as good in the car as it does on the trail. Its not as big, and it doesn't talk to you, BUT it is very flexible. I love it.

Thanks for the replies so far :)

Looks like either of the above will work.

I'm leaning towards the refurb from Circuit City as i have a $50 Gift card sat here doing nothing .... reviews i can find all seem positive ... who knows she may even get me on more road trips if i like this thing.

Thanks for the replies so far :)

Looks like either of the above will work.

I'm leaning towards the refurb from Circuit City as i have a $50 Gift card sat here doing nothing .... reviews i can find all seem positive ... who knows she may even get me on more road trips if i like this thing.

Thats my garmin model the c330 works awesome, I paid 600 bucks last august but honestly its still worth it

that garmin has all the maps already loaded and talks you right to your destination, used it on a trip to cleveland yesterday. that garmin comes with a cable to download updates from the net although I havent bothered

its already saved me so much time, driving to customers.

I have a 2720, and it's saved my bacon a number of times since I moved to Austin.

GPS Technology is getting very affordable, and with the WAAS stuff very accurate.

Once you have it, you won't leave home without it :)

LER

I have the Garmin Streetpilot c330. You just plug it in and go. Get the c330 it is worth it.

Looks like the 330 is the one then .. Circuit City had another price drop today ...

refurb is now just $220 and brand new has dropped to $250 .. i'm MORE than happy with those prices ... will be going to buy tomorrow .. thanks for the advice folks.

I have a 2720, and it's saved my bacon a number of times since I moved to Austin.

GPS Technology is getting very affordable, and with the WAAS stuff very accurate.

Once you have it, you won't leave home without it :)

LER

I agree too. I bought a GPS receiving "antenna" with a 8' USB cable for $35 off of eBay and got the full DeLohrme (sp?) software; both for under $100. Since my laptop is ALWAYS with me and I already had the power adapter for the plane and car. I was good to go with a top quality, fully portable, 15" screen, voice out, GPS.

Last edited:
I spend time in the city some bad neighborhoods, a laptop can make my vehicle a break in target.

the street pilot is so small it basically disappears. I dont use the sticky shiney thing, that marks the vehicle as a target. as the price drops soon no onme will care to steal it.

I think the 10 buck a month cell phone navigation is driving the price down

went for the c330 ... bought the new one for $250 .. less a $50 gift card I had ...
Nice little toy for $200 .... wonder if i can drive with my eyes shut now ?

:D

I spend time in the city some bad neighborhoods, a laptop can make my vehicle a break in target.

the street pilot is so small it basically disappears. I dont use the sticky shiney thing, that marks the vehicle as a target. as the price drops soon no onme will care to steal it.

I think the 10 buck a month cell phone navigation is driving the price down

May laptop goes with me most times anyway as it is 110% portable, but it also hides extremely easy with no more threat to steal than my in dash stereo or Sirius. Some people will break in anyway and regardless of whatever neighborhood you might been in or think of it crime stats.

went for the c330 ... bought the new one for $250 .. less a $50 gift card I had ...
Nice little toy for $200 .... wonder if i can drive with my eyes shut now ?

:D
auto drive is coming soon, first as a accident avoidance helper then as full auto drive.

today farmers fields are plowed by tractors without drivers, all satellite controlled

auto drive is coming soon, first as a accident avoidance helper then as full auto drive.

today farmers fields are plowed by tractors without drivers, all satellite controlled
A number of farmers I know have computerized tractors, with GPS systems that divide fields into grids to track exactly what the cost of production and yield are on any particular grid. I have joked with farmers that the day will soon be here when no one will even have to sit in the tractor, and they acknowledge it probably could be done today. Considering that when the weather is right some equipment runs in the fields 24 hours, not needing a human driver would be a safer. However, at least in my area of Iowa, no farmer is currently running a tractor without a driver.

Some guys in the engineering program at school have just built a Nissan XTerra that will drive itself; self-controlled. They are entering it in the DARPA Challenge. The darn thing is way cool. I got to check it out last week. Radars and Lidars (sp?) and one helluva a navigation program.

Garmin Nuvi 350. Thats what I use and I can't say enough good about it. I wanted the 360 with the bluetooth but they were sold out and I needed one then. I've had mine since it was fairly new to the market. I'd reccomend it plus it's older now so the prices have come way down.

Wanted to bump this one back up. I've seen a lot of discussion about Gps navigation on other sites. I've had the chance to use a few of the TomTom systems and I've been really pleased.

One thing I've noticed is complaints about their map provider Teleatlas. I couldn't find anything wrong with the maps, and I put them through a pretty good run when i was using them. A friend of mine did find one problem, but he reported it to them on their website, and it was really easy to do.

I'd have to make my recommendation one of the tomtom products...either the GO 910 or the ONE. Both were pretty good.

I actually got the Garmin 330 a couple weeks ago. I'm taking on a trip this weekend that I know all the shortcuts and the best ways for so I'm curious to see how it routes me. I have heard that the Navteq maps are much better than the teleatlas. So far I like it a lot!

I actually got the Garmin 330 a couple weeks ago. I'm taking on a trip this weekend that I know all the shortcuts and the best ways for so I'm curious to see how it routes me. I have heard that the Navteq maps are much better than the teleatlas. So far I like it a lot!

I have a garmin c330.

Its not as good as knowing the way when your really familiar but is excellent for getting you there.

its by far the best tech thing i bought since my first VCR, that back when the recorder was one part tehthered by cables to the tuner part, then add a camera.

amazing how far stuff has come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)