GPS Software

Jared Twomey

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 7, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Anybody have any suggestions for good gps software for a laptop. I bought a usb gps receiver and Microsoft Streets and Trips 2007 last night, and after using it all day today, was pretty disappointed with it. For one, EVERY destination I put in to it, was off, normally by about an 1/8-1/4 mile.
Also, at least for my area, it is a VERY outdated map. There are new roads, exits, sections of highway, ect... that have been around a year or so, that aren't even on the maps. (and I dont see a way to update the map info)

Honestly, if I could get google maps to work offline, it would be awesome. I checked all of the roads and stuff that I noticed that were not in Microsofts program, and they were all on google maps.

So anywho, any suggestions on good gps software?
I'm a satellite installer so I need to be able to use it offline, while I am out in the field, and preferrably be able to track where I go during the day, and how far i've drivin.

Why laptop? It's so much easier to use it with a phone or PDA... ;)

1. no ugly mount/fully portable/multi-use
2. 14" - 17" display - phone PDAs and most low end GPS units are just too darn small for my in-car use.
3. easy upgrade/update/add-on - instant net construction and other alert updates.
4. one less devise overall
5. if you already have a laptop, the cost to get into a top featured GPS is far cheaper. (less than $100)

If you need you GPS on you belt for hunting, etc, then this is NOT for you.

BirdDoggy: Have you tried Delorme Street Atlas? I use both and could go either way, but I have never had those distance offsets you describe with MS. Could it be the receiver/antenna devise?

Last edited:
Nevermind: I found it HERE (for others to look at). iGuidance 4.0

Ceg: Is it REALLY good? $100 is somewhat high dollar just for software IMHO. Can you give us some comparison vs the others listed? Thanks.

BirdDoggy: Have you tried Delorme Street Atlas? I use both and could go either way, but I have never had those distance offsets you describe with MS. Could it be the receiver/antenna devise?

I haven't, I'll give it a try...
The locations being screwed up is even without the gps... its wierd. Maybe they just have a really old map of this area and that's why its screwed up. It was kind of funny, cause as I was driving down the highway, it automatically had some local hotels and stuff show up, but they were on the other side of the highway.... just a block or so off. But yeah, the map for this area was old. I had it keep a trail of where I drove today, and half of the time it looks like i'm off road cause the road doesn't show up on their map. Too much construction going on around here I guess.

Why laptop? It's so much easier to use it with a phone or PDA... ;)

I have a Treo 650 also, and I thought about using the GPS on that, but I really like having the full screen. Also, I always have my laptop in the truck anyway. I pretty much run my business from the front seat of my truck.

I have a Treo 650 also, and I thought about using the GPS on that, but I really like having the full screen. Also, I always have my laptop in the truck anyway. I pretty much run my business from the front seat of my truck.
Well, then you can use both! :)
The main advantage of a PDA vs. laptop is that you can mount it high enough on the dashboard so you wouldn't have to take your eyes off the road when you drive...

I bought iGuidance 2.0 Back when I had My Samsung I700 and still to this day run it on the I700. I bought it for the price at that time it was one of the cheapest available for software only. Compared to Microsoft Streets & Maps, Mapopolis, TomTom and Delorme and the feature set blew the others away and it had many more way-points.

This year for fathers day I decided that it was time for me to get a "self contained Unit" so I went to Best Buy and got a really good deal on a Garmin Street Pilot c330 ($250). I took it home and used it on a trip and HATED IT the entire time hardly any way-points not very good Software flow and the fact that I couldn't see everything I wanted on one screen was the deal breaker. With Inav I could see speed, Distance to end if trip, Time to end of trip, or Time of Day at end of trip. I flip through all these during trips. the Street pilot didn't do that.

Needless to say I took the Street Pilot Back and am still using the Inav with old maps.

Hope this helps,
cegarrett

I looked at the INav/IGuidance and was seriously considering ordering a copy. Then I got to the compatibility section, and found out it isn't computable with Windows MCE.

I've been using S&Ts for several years. It is occasionally off, and whenever I head out of town going to the east, it begins by telling me I am off-route. That is because I refuse to take the recommended street. I just don't want to drive over a bridge that appears to have been out for the past 20 years. ;) It has had a hard time keeping up with the road changes between my home in Iowa and St. Louis. The Avenue of the Saints between St. Louis and St. Paul has been rapidly nearing completion, and the road has shifted location in a number of locations. I did like the addition in 2006 of the night screen, all black with the roads in fluorescent green.

Just a few weeks ago I added Navigator to my Razr. It became available just as I was leaving for a week in California, and I didn't have the opportunity to get the software upgrade the V3m requires to access the GPS. I've experimented with it a few times since I got home, and it appears to be fairly accurate. I used Mapquest Mobile while in California, which doesn't have the GPS capability, but allowed me to plan routes. One nice thing with Mapquest Mobile is you can plan a trip online, and then download it to your phone.

I ordered an evaluation copy of iGuidance, so we'll see how that works out when I get it... if it does a good job I don't mind spending a hundred bucks on it.
I have been playing with Streets and Trips a little more, and correct me if i'm wrong... but it doesn't redo your route if you miss a turn or something?
I downloaded an open source program called Roadnav, and while its not as pretty... it at least reconfigured my route if I don't turn where it tells me to. Cause sometimes they just don't really know the best route through town or whatever :)

I will have to check, like I said before I have been pretty much on Delorme as of late and it DOES auto-reroute.

Last edited:
I ordered an evaluation copy of iGuidance, so we'll see how that works out when I get it... if it does a good job I don't mind spending a hundred bucks on it.
I have been playing with Streets and Trips a little more, and correct me if i'm wrong... but it doesn't redo your route if you miss a turn or something?
I downloaded an open source program called Roadnav, and while its not as pretty... it at least reconfigured my route if I don't turn where it tells me to. Cause sometimes they just don't really know the best route through town or whatever :)
It does not do it automatically, as some do, but I believe if you hit F3 it will recalculate from your current location. In a way, that's nice, if you have a reason to divert temporarily from the route without recalculating. I had an instance a year ago when I was in Des Moines, which has been rebuilding the freeway through the center of downtown. The on/off ramps changed daily, and I kept hitting closed roads/ramps. I must have hit F3 a dozen time before I finally made it to where I needed to go.

Anybody have any suggestions for good gps software for a laptop. I bought a usb gps receiver and Microsoft Streets and Trips 2007 last night, and after using it all day today, was pretty disappointed with it. For one, EVERY destination I put in to it, was off, normally by about an 1/8-1/4 mile.

I've been using aftermarket dedicated automotive GPS units for several years. Usually when the mapping is off significantly, it means the unit needs a reboot, or a manual location setting. The maps themselves shouldn't be off by more than 50-75 yards for a street address, and frequently that's because buildings aren't built where the address says they ought to be.

Also, at least for my area, it is a VERY outdated map. There are new roads, exits, sections of highway, ect... that have been around a year or so, that aren't even on the maps. (and I dont see a way to update the map info)

That's not uncommon. Navteq provides the maps for Garmin, Magellan, Mapquest, and others. I've gone to their site and checked their maps, and found them missing one Interstate route that was open for 3 months, logged a "missing road" report, and they drove it and added it. At the same time I identified a missing major bypass road which was open for 12-18 months, reported it "missing" and had them respond with a "map reflects reality" answer, which is still wrong. When I drive those roads the GPS shows me on a green background with no roadway.

Honestly, if I could get google maps to work offline, it would be awesome. I checked all of the roads and stuff that I noticed that were not in Microsofts program, and they were all on google maps.

Googelmaps is also missing a LOT. My sister lives in a subdivision near Atlanta that's existed over 4 years. Not only is her road not on the map, it's also not on the satellite image. It's on Mapquest, but isn't on my GPS (or my wife's GPS).

So anywho, any suggestions on good gps software?
I'm a satellite installer so I need to be able to use it offline, while I am out in the field, and preferrably be able to track where I go during the day, and how far i've drivin.

You certainly have a good business justification for solid GPS performance. Unfortunately my experience says "pick your poison", meaning you're going to sacrifice something, somewhere in the product. IMO, there really are no map-sets that qualify as "excellent".

Buying frequent updates gets expensive, and the laptop option gets cumbersome. You might consider a entry-level aftermarket unit that you can easily remove from the vehicle (anti-theft). There are a number that have dropped below $200 in price and will provide decent performance.

my stand alone garmin GPS c330 works awesome and can be hidden in a momernts notice,. plus at 200 bucks its not like losing a laptop, if it gets stolen.

my stand alone garmin GPS c330 works awesome and can be hidden in a momernts notice,. plus at 200 bucks its not like losing a laptop, if it gets stolen.

Bob, (2) questions for you:
  1. How long have you had the C330 ?
  2. How does Garmin handle map updates - cd/dvd, or send unit in; and how frequently are they offered?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts