GRAY AND RAYCOM TO COMBINE IN A $3.6 BILLION TRANSACTION

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Deal Worth $3.6 Billion Will Create TV Giant With 142 Full-Power TV Stations in 92 Markets | TVWeek

Gray Television to buy Raycom Media in $3.65 billion deal

Gray Television Inc (GTN.N) said on Monday it would buy privately held rival broadcaster Raycom Media Inc in a cash-and-stock deal valued at $3.65 billion, in a push into more local television markets and to attract additional advertising.

The combined company, with 142 full-power television stations in 92 markets, will reach about 24 percent of total U.S. television households, more than doubling Gray’s reach.

IF (it will not) the FCC would enforce the duopoly rule (no company can legally own more than one Big 4 affilitate per market) I could care less. If the NBC station in my town is owned by the same company that owns CBS in Knoxville, ABC in Rapid City, and Fox in El Paso, it is irrlelevant to me. It does not affect me at all.

Since the duopoly rule is ignored, and has been by FCCs of all political makeups for 25 years, it is a big deal.

WILX out of Lansing is owned by Gray wonder what they are going to do? This is reminding what WPTA out of Fort Wayne was doing owned ABC, NBC, FOX, MYTV, CW all in the same house.

Overlaps are Knoxville, Toledo, Waco, Tallahassee, Augusta, and Odessa/Midland. Also Panama City and Dothan, but these are tiny markets that lack four full power stations, so different rules apply (if, of course, the rules mattered in the first place.)

Reactions: Justin Hill
there are two gray stations in Louisiana now. KALB NBC/CW/CBS 5 Alexandria and KNOE CBS/ABC/CW 8 Monroe/El Dorado. Then Raycom owns at least 6 (KVHP/KPLC Lake Charles, KSLA Shreveport, WVUE New Orleans, WAFB/WBXH Baton Rouge) in the state. Only city that is out of this consolidation is Lafayette unless Gray goes after Cordillera (KATC 3 ABC/CW/Grit). I wanna see what movement of networks will come of this mess.....

Just love the Wikipedia Updates on the Louisiana Raycom Station Pages...The combined company will be in every Louisiana market except for Lafayette as a result.

Overlaps are Knoxville, Toledo, Waco, Tallahassee, Augusta, and Odessa/Midland. Also Panama City and Dothan, but these are tiny markets that lack four full power stations, so different rules apply (if, of course, the rules mattered in the first place.)
Valdosta/Albany's WSWG is the 9th station involved in this 3rd party sale thing by Gray....

Deal Worth $3.6 Billion Will Create TV Giant With 142 Full-Power TV Stations in 92 Markets | TVWeek

Gray Television to buy Raycom Media in $3.65 billion deal

Gray Television Inc (GTN.N) said on Monday it would buy privately held rival broadcaster Raycom Media Inc in a cash-and-stock deal valued at $3.65 billion, in a push into more local television markets and to attract additional advertising.

The combined company, with 142 full-power television stations in 92 markets, will reach about 24 percent of total U.S. television households, more than doubling Gray’s reach.
At this rate we'll have only 4 or 5 major TV owners before 2020.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)