Great Install Experience!!!

wintermute1

Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Great Install Experience in Manassas, VA!!!

Hi All:

I anticipated my Voom install with great trepidation. Not necessary! Following the recommendations here I asked for Todd from Datalink Communications to do my installation. He called before he arrived, and was at my home for 3 hours. Todd helped me to diagnose a problem with my hdtv (which needs callibration!) and installed two receivers. All is great, and I have more local OTA channels (23) than I could have anticipated -- including a bunch from Baltimore that I have never heard of!

Picture quality is superb, and I couldn't be happier with the whole experience. I hope Voom lasts for a while! Unless, and until it ends transmissions, they have gained a new very happy customer. Now, all I need to figure out is how to adjust the screen of my Panasonic PT47WX49E.

:) :)

Winter,

Glad to hear you had such a good installation experience - Todd is certainly one of the better VOOM Installers in the area. Welcome aboard and don't forget to visit the Washington DC thread in the VOOM "In Your Area" Forum.

Riff...

OTA Issue and Voom

Hi, and thanks for the welcome. I have an issue with OTA channel reception. I picked up 23 channels as locally available with hd, but later on when I actually tried to *watch* some them, many came up as "no signal available". Having said that, I get some Baltimore stations (Fox 45 HD) that I never knew existed. Do I need to rescan for local channels to fill out the channel listing? Or am I simply being too impatient with the system -- in that it may need time to download channel and schedule information into the receiver?

Todd (my favorite installer) did a software upgrade on both receivers before he left yesterday.

Any and all information will be appreciated.

Thanks

Winter - you may be receiving some channels outside your DMA (what the FCC thinks the local channels are you should get). Until the "Super DMA" updates get fully propagated, you may see these stations in your guide (they were picked up during a scan) but will always see "no info" as the guide data is filtered out of your box if the station is not in your current DMA.

You also may have picked up some weaker stations during a scan that now do not have enough signal strength to be picked up, or may be off the air (digital channels are still pretty sporadic depending on how dedicated the broadcaster is to keeping them up as solidly as their analog channels). Stations that are on the fringe of your antenna's reception capabilities may come in during some types of atmospheric conditions, and not come in during other times.

As an example, I live in the Sacramento, California DMA. My PG shows all the stations and I get guide data for them (and thankfully, also get them). I also picked up a number of stations from San Francisco, which is in another DMA, and never get guide data (or won't until the Super DMA is rolled out here). I can still select those channels and when conditions are right, receive them just like the Sacramento stations.

As far as propagating the PG with info, if it is not being filtered due to the aforementioned DMA situation, it takes between 10 and 30 minutes (typically) for the guide data to be there.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Doug

OTA Reception Issues

Thanks for the tips. I will try a re-scan tonight (because I want to know how to do one!)

I will also read up on Voom's OTA offerings a little more.

I still think that what I have (real HD reception) beats my former Dish SD choices.

Cheers

D :)