Voom install , no experience

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jgilmer

Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
I had my install scheduled for today. The guy came at 10:30 am and informed me he had not done any voom installs before. Anyways, 4:30 pm comes, he's still here. He had to call several times back to his office to find out where to point the dish. He finally decided he had it pointed in the right direction. My zip is 35586. He said it was 140 degree's azimuth and 45 degree's elevation. From my calculations online 61.5 satellite should be more like 139 degree's and lower elevation. Anyways he said he got barely good enough signal. He get's inside hooks up the voom receiver and it doesn't show no signal at all. I asked him if he should not see the same signal strength on the receiver he saw on his meter outside and he told me not if a tree was in the way. He shows me outside the tree he thinks it is, but he even admits he don't think the tree should cause a problem. This tree he speaks of is a dead tree with no leaves at all on it , and is not directly in the way at all. Needless to say 5:30 pm he leaves takes all equipment with him and says he will have it rescheduled for a second opinion. He also told me the bigger ota antenna he had with him in case I needed it would not help me any more with tree's in the way. The little wingard antenna he had up did get a signal of 83 from a source 45 miles away. Not sure why he thinks the bigger antenna would not help this. If a tree was in the way of the wineguard how could it get an 83 from 45 miles away ???? Anyways I am very frustrated now. All I want is to have some hdtv content in my house from voom. Is this too much to ask for ???

Hang in there...

jgilmer said:
(snip)... Anyways I am very frustrated now. All I want is to have some hdtv content in my house from voom. Is this too much to ask for ???
NOT EVEN! I'm sure others with knowledge will be along soon to offer advice. :) I also feel pretty sure though, that part of the advice will definitely include letting VOOM know about this absurd situation! :yikes Sorry to hear of your bad installation luck, and hope it gets remedied soon! :yes Vicki

jgilmer said:
I had my install scheduled for today. The guy came at 10:30 am and informed me he had not done any voom installs before. Anyways, 4:30 pm comes, he's still here. He had to call several times back to his office to find out where to point the dish. He finally decided he had it pointed in the right direction. My zip is 35586. He said it was 140 degree's azimuth and 45 degree's elevation. From my calculations online 61.5 satellite should be more like 139 degree's and lower elevation. Anyways he said he got barely good enough signal. He get's inside hooks up the voom receiver and it doesn't show no signal at all. I asked him if he should not see the same signal strength on the receiver he saw on his meter outside and he told me not if a tree was in the way. He shows me outside the tree he thinks it is, but he even admits he don't think the tree should cause a problem. This tree he speaks of is a dead tree with no leaves at all on it , and is not directly in the way at all. Needless to say 5:30 pm he leaves takes all equipment with him and says he will have it rescheduled for a second opinion. He also told me the bigger ota antenna he had with him in case I needed it would not help me any more with tree's in the way. The little wingard antenna he had up did get a signal of 83 from a source 45 miles away. Not sure why he thinks the bigger antenna would not help this. If a tree was in the way of the wineguard how could it get an 83 from 45 miles away ???? Anyways I am very frustrated now. All I want is to have some hdtv content in my house from voom. Is this too much to ask for ???

where are you located? ok i look at antenna web you will need a upgraded antenna i don't think the sensor II will do much for you. > How may receiver are haveing install?

1 Receiver to be installed. 50 foot run of coax if that. I also requested he run separate coaxes and not use the diplexer. He seemed to just ignore my request like that's the only way he knows how to do it. Maybe it's just my luck. I was really excited and let down at the same time today ... heh. I talked him into trying just 1 cable and skipping the diplexer to see if he could get a signal at the receiver. He took the diplexer out of the loop near the dish, but kept the one that plugs in back of the receiver on. He told me he didn't have to take splitter off the receiver that it should work with it on. Maybe I don't know much, but that just isn't logical. I am located at Sulligent, AL 35586 . Installer was Digital Entertainment Plus out of Rogersville, AL . Their website " http://www.dishnet.tv/ "

jgilmer said:
1 Receiver to be installed. 50 foot run of coax if that. I also requested he run separate coaxes and not use the diplexer. He seemed to just ignore my request like that's the only way he knows how to do it. Maybe it's just my luck. I was really excited and let down at the same time today ... heh. I talked him into trying just 1 cable and skipping the diplexer to see if he could get a signal at the receiver. He took the diplexer out of the loop near the dish, but kept the one that plugs in back of the receiver on. He told me he didn't have to take splitter off the receiver that it should work with it on. Maybe I don't know much, but that just isn't logical. I am located at Sulligent, AL 35586 . Installer was Digital Entertainment Plus out of Rogersville, AL . Their website " http://www.dishnet.tv/ "

If you will send me a work order or a phone number i will contact the regional manager with you info and see what he can do for you. Just pm me with your info.

I don't suppose their is no way possible I can do this myself ? I have installed all my other satellite stuff myself without a hitch. I even had E* at one time pointed at 61.5 without any problem.

I called yesterday and I'm getting my installation March 2....the earliest that they had. One of my co-workers had theirs done about a week ago with no problems. I hope mine goes as smooth.

jgilmer said:
I don't suppose their is no way possible I can do this myself ? I have installed all my other satellite stuff myself without a hitch. I even had E* at one time pointed at 61.5 without any problem.

Can't do the satellite dish and STB activation, but you sure could do your own OTA - and probably get superior results.

Doug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)