Great Install

JonH

Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
MA
I was installed today in MA took about 2.5 hours.
Installer called me 30 mins before he got here to let me know when he would show, which really started things off on the right foot.
There was one glitch when he called to activate the recievers and they showed I had only 1 instead of 2. I called voom and they straightened it out and let him activate them with them so he would not have to make another call and stay on hold.
Im getting all the locals with the stealth, which suprised the installer I think.
I did let him try it with the diplexor since the house was already wired from an old dtv install. I am getting a good signal of 55 so I let it stay figuring if it causes trouble later I can have them fix it.
Overall after reading so many horror stories here it was a really pleasent experience.

Glad to hear the install went so well. How far from your OTA towers are you? I'm getting my install done next Friday, and I want to know what I can expect. I think the farthest tower from my house is like 12 miles. Fortunately, I'm in the middle of farmland, and there are hardly any trees around us. On top of that, we are elevated up from the area with the towers. I figure if I can get them to install the antenna on the 2nd story of my house and not over the 1st story garage, I should have no problems.

JonH,

55 is a good satelllite quality signal for the old software. The new software downloads every day at 4am. You might get it within two or three days. Anyway, if you see strange lighting in the stb, do not interrupt the software upgrade. Enjoy VOOM!

I am about 25 miles away and surrounded by trees so I would bet you will have no problem :)

Do you just leave the STB on to get the upgrade?
Unfortunately Voom did not send a welcome pack with my boxes so I have no manual,

JonH,

Voom recommends you leave the box off to receive the update. As someone else mentioned, it's typically delivered in the early morning hours within 2-3 days of the install date. Under the new software, your point dish screen should show a signal of 90+.

Hey Sean im new to this i just installed the voom today and i have a question about the bars on the front of the receiver what do they mean and witch one of them should the system be set to im using the components input THANKS

hockey said:
Hey Sean im new to this i just installed the voom today and i have a question about the bars on the front of the receiver what do they mean and witch one of them should the system be set to im using the components input THANKS

hockey,

welcome. The bars indicate the resolution that the box is outputting:

Top bar lit = 1080i
second bar (from top to bottom) lit = 720p
third bar (from top to bottom) lit = 480p
bottom bar lit = 480i

All bars lit = Native Resolution

Which one should you use? It depends on the native that your display outputs. If you have a 720p, you may try the 720p or 1080i. If it is 1080i, 1080i is the only solution for you.

thanks for the reply that helped alot if you would one more question all of my locals come in fine but one should i try to rotate the annt or something else it comes in but brakes up also i looked at my software update and it is 5.08 the target is .68 will it update on its own thanks again

Best thing will be to buy a rotor if you cannot get a good position on the antenna where everything comes in at a decent level. Good you are target to .68 and it should happen soon. You would like the new software better.