Not open for further replies.
My top 5.

1.Edward Van Halen
2.Angus Young
3.Jimi Hendrix
4.Eric Clapton
5.Ted Nugent

Just my two cents from a former guitarist -

In no particular order (rock biased) Beck, Page, Clapton, and Hendrix. I always felt that all that followed flowed from here. Amazing that the first three all played in the Yardbirds at some point or other. Anyhow, these guys were my biggest influences. I'm sure that many of the guitarists I've seen listed here would probabily claim the same.

While the rock guitarists mentioned are really really good, I still have Chet Atkins and Roy Clark way high on my list, for pure guitar skill. Not taking away from the rockers, but the skills of Atkins are hard to beat.

Guitarists such as the Edge and Summers are in theory just jazz guitarists that got into Rock n' roll because they found a different "sound".

I am not taking anything away from them, they are both very good musicians. But that sound that is known as the "U2" sound is the same sound that edge uses on 90% of their songs. Its the same with Summers. In their respected bands they have phenomenal arrangements in their music. I think that is what made them good.

The likes of Clapton, Van Halen, Vaughn, Page, or or Hendrix made themselves or their band popular based on their ability to do something unique or not heard before on the guitar.

That's probabily the most important point made in this discussion. Interesting to see how this is shaking out between different age groups. The older guys know where this started, the younger guys favor their generation. Nothing wrong with that, the newer guitarists are taking things in different directions, as they should. Just as those before them did. Great point Joe!

[/B]

That's probabily the most important point made in this discussion. Interesting to see how this is shaking out between different age groups. The older guys know where this started, the younger guys favor their generation. Nothing wrong with that, the newer guitarists are taking things in different directions, as they should. Just as those before them did. Great point Joe!

I think the question is the problem. Its loaded and will not yield a correct answer. It is about taste, style, generation, etc as you mentiond. It should be who is your FAVORITE guitarist. I dont even know what makes the criteria of best. As much as I can appreciate Stevie Ray, would I want to listen to him over and over. Not for me but I think most people have identified some really great guitarists of different times and styles.

My favorite guitarist is The Edge/Stuart Adamson but my recognized great is probably Stevie Ray/Eddie Van Halen. I also appreciate Robert Johnson and what he was able to do way before anyone knew what to expect out of a guitar.

I think the question is the problem. Its loaded and will not yield a correct answer.

Yeah your probably right. I should have put Who is your favorite?

Yeah your probably right. I should have put Who is your favorite?

Thats alright. Great topic and discussion I love most of the guitarists listed. I just love music. I just find it interesting that some folks attribute greatness with having to be the first or play faster or have more range. I think greatness can come in making a sound unique or even just darn pleasurable. Who the heck is say Monet is better then Rembrandt? If they make you feel good and you can feel the soul, its all good.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Joe Perry. I like him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts