Greatest Guitar player of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Tiny Tim? ROFLMAO :D:D:D:D

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the guitarist who these, and yes Don, Charo, have built upon. I saw Andres Segovia play at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in LA in, I think, 1973. As all the Rockers playing electric guitar, particularly solid bodies, have Les Paul to thank, those playing Spanish and/or classical guitar are building on the innovation of Segovia.

Andrés Segovia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Segovia - Magic Flute
Andres Segovia: J.S.Bach-Adagio and Gavotte en Rondeau

Yes, agreed. Being their senior, he was undoubtedly studied by the younger classical guitarist today.

You know, one thing that really bothers me about modern rock with all the amplification if the tremendous compression used. The music itself may be quite good but it is so compressed that it is hard to appreciate. I'm not talking about digital compression here, but volume compression. Most of it today is compressed between 6 and 3 db dynamic range! These acoustic instruments can be recorded to a full 90 db and it shows, even on a YouTube video. It really makes it hard to accept Rock guitarist's talent, I think. But then again, that is part of their sound, loud and sustained.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Neil Young! Have you ever seen this guy live?

Michael Hedges is fantastic, I saw him a few times and met him also, couldn't be a nicer guy.

Which reminds me, how about Leo Kottke, or John Renbourn?

Or for that matter Richard Thompson! WOW!

Neil Young may be a great songwriter. But, I've seen him perform live on video. His guitar solos sound like the fingers on his left hand are getting caught in the strings.

The master of minimalist one note solos. Love his music, love his style, but not one of the greatest in my book.

Granted Eddie Vedder just seemed out of place with Neil Young, but I do think he does a good job with Pearl Jam.

how has phil keaggy escaped mention?!? despite missing part of one of his fingers, he is routinely mentioned among the greatest fingerstyle guitar players in the world.

Michael Hedges, in my humble opinion, was the best I had ever seen. He could do things with the guitar that made you stop and go, "How did he do that?" Amazing.
[youtube]JTC7kPZZmuM[/youtube]
And thanks to the computer internets, we can share in his talents...

No disrespect Foxbat, but Leo Kottke was putting out that kind of playing when Michael Hedges was still in diapers. M.H. is really good, but Kottke is my favorite. Some more of my fav's I haven't seen listed here (that might get an honorable mention in someone else's book): Donald Fagen, Eric Johnson, and Monte Montgomery. These guys are fantastic at their style.

No problem, Stacy. I could have named Chris Squire, Stanley Clarke, Lee Ritenour, Greg Lake, Steve Hackett, but Michael was the one that I've seen multiple times, mostly due to tour schedules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)