Greatest Guitar player of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
how about martin barre of jethro tull. think agualung solo

glad someome said chuck berry. herd alot of players say he was a inspiration.

I'm sorry Charo is a very a talented guitarist but every time I hear her name or look at her the only thing that runs through my mind is Cuchi cuchi - :D

NightRyder

Actually, she is a very talented stage performer in dance, singing, and classical guitar. Plus she speaks and sings in several languages fluently, including Japanese. I saw her on a cruise ship perforance where she told the story of cuchi- cuchi. If you listen to the words of the song it is the story of her dog, named cuchi cuchi. In the US she became popular as the cuchi cuchi girl and her manager said we need to go with that since nobody will remember her full name. The way she told the story mixed with music was really great.

One thing I appreciate with guitarists is the ability to play the instrument with all five fingers plucking and then mix in the tapping like a bongo drum, in different places to have different pitches of the sound. Most rock guiitarists listed all play with a pic one note at a time. I see it like playing a piano with one finger or 10 fingers!

Michael Hedges, in my humble opinion, was the best I had ever seen. He could do things with the guitar that made you stop and go, "How did he do that?" Amazing.
[youtube]JTC7kPZZmuM[/youtube]
And thanks to the computer internets, we can share in his talents...

Thanks Roland, I enjoyed that. Different and nice!

I know this is a Satellite (video) forum but this is a great topic to discuss and share, since we all have our own favorites there is no one answer, I have checked out some of the links (Michael Hedges, guitar trio) and discovered some new artists.
In my opinion the state of the airwaves (AM/FM) is in a sad state, it has a very limited variety (top ten same songs every hour), and there are many artists out there that we will never hear or know about.

One thing I appreciate with guitarists is the ability to play the instrument with all five fingers plucking and then mix in the tapping like a bongo drum, in different places to have different pitches of the sound. Most rock guiitarists listed all play with a pic one note at a time. I see it like playing a piano with one finger or 10 fingers!

How about this take on playing with all 10 fingers. See Stanley Jordan video.

I know this is a Satellite (video) forum but this is a great topic to discuss and share, since we all have our own favorites there is no one answer, I have checked out some of the links (Michael Hedges, guitar trio) and discovered some new artists.
In my opinion the state of the airwaves (AM/FM) is in a sad state, it has a very limited variety (top ten same songs every hour), and there are many artists out there that we will never hear or know about.

[Ain't that the freakin' truth!/B]

And with only 9 fingers...

1422-1-photo.jpg

Ok boys. FZ and Steve Vai together:

YouTube - Frank Zappa - Stevie's Spanking

and...Satriani and Vai doing a Zappa song. (Absof-inglutely incredible):

That was excellent!!!
I remember Zappa never had he chance to see him live!!

Ahh, you saw Randy Rhoads in my list eh?

Randy was inducted into the Guitar Center Rock Walk (on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood, CA), on March 18 2004. Guests included Delores Rhoads, Kelle Rhoads, Rudy Sarzo, Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne, Zakk Wylde and Yngwie Malmsteen. In a 2006 Guitar World article, it was mentioned that Rhoads' last name was mistakenly spelled "Rhodes" on his plaque, and by the time it was discovered, there was not enough time to correct the mistake.

Talk about disrespect!

Actually I didn't see it till after I posted, saw the OP and Posted. RR was my favorite growing up with Jimmy Page, Yngwie Malmsteen and Eddie Van Halen behind. My only regret was not being able to see him live, Ozzy was my first concert I ever saw, but Randy was gone(Motley Crue opened up for Ozzy:D). IMO I think he enjoyed classical guitar more than rock, but that classical background made him a better rock guitarist.

Best video I could find. An old Quiet Riot performance.:D

[YOUTUBE]KxN0mQgQdPM[/YOUTUBE]

That was excellent!!!
I remember Zappa never had he chance to see him live!!
I saw him quite a few times in the 70's and early 80's, with some great band members like Vai, Terry Bozio, George Duke, Adrian Belew, and Chester Thompson.

I also interviewed him in his hotel room for my college radio station back in 75 or 76.

You mean like these three guitarest - Paco de Lucia - John McLaughlin - Al Di Meola. This is a great video of the three jamming together.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the guitarist who these, and yes Don, Charo, have built upon. I saw Andres Segovia play at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in LA in, I think, 1973. As all the Rockers playing electric guitar, particularly solid bodies, have Les Paul to thank, those playing Spanish and/or classical guitar are building on the innovation of Segovia.

Andrés Segovia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Segovia - Magic Flute
Andres Segovia: J.S.Bach-Adagio and Gavotte en Rondeau

I saw him quite a few times in the 70's and early 80's, with some great band members like Vai, Terry Bozio, George Duke, Adrian Belew, and Chester Thompson.

I also interviewed him in his hotel room for my college radio station back in 75 or 76.

Adrian Belew, there's a name I haven't heard in a long while. What's he doing of late?

Angus Young
Eddie Van Halen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)