Greetings from Dish Team Summit Day Two!

Next he moves on to Sling TV

Talks about Sling TV watch party and we see a video of Sling TV watch party.

Sling tv is for cord cutters and cost conscious customers.

Talks about the new Sling TV UI.

Sling TV is rated number one in stream reliability.

People will be able to order and access other services through the sling tv app.

They talk about adding international programming and they have 400 channels in 22 languages.

They are working to make content more easily findable and they are offing a lot of free content.

Their goal is to put the customer first.

View attachment 156781

They thank us and the package ends. Amir returns to the stage.
Will the 4K Joey support HDR? Will the non HDR 4K chgannels return?

Dolby Vision requires that equipment manufacturers pay a licensing fee. HDR is free to use. I suspect that the new Joey 4 and Hopper+ could support Dolby Vision but Dish was unwilling to pay the licensing fee. I don’t know what the licensing fee cost is but I have heard that it is high.

First of all, HDR10 is free and open-standard, meaning that TV producers and content creators don’t need to pay for implementing it, while Dolby owns Dolby Vision.

So, what exactly do you get for paying the premium for Dolby Vision?

Well, DV is capable of displaying 12-bit color depth, which amounts to 68.7 billion colors, whereas HDR10 is limited to 10-bit and 1.07 billion colors.

Reactions: HipKat
Dolby Vision requires that equipment manufacturers pay a licensing fee. HDR is free to use. I suspect that the new Joey 4 and Hopper+ could support Dolby Vision but Dish was unwilling to pay the licensing fee. I don’t know what the licensing fee cost is but I have heard that it is high.

First of all, HDR10 is free and open-standard, meaning that TV producers and content creators don’t need to pay for implementing it, while Dolby owns Dolby Vision.

So, what exactly do you get for paying the premium for Dolby Vision?

Well, DV is capable of displaying 12-bit color depth, which amounts to 68.7 billion colors, whereas HDR10 is limited to 10-bit and 1.07 billion colors.
I asked some people in the industry how much it cost to license Dolby Vision for streaming devices and they gave me a range of $1-$5 per unit depending on scale.

Numerous devices in the $25 - $30 range support Dolby Vision.

Also, I would add that Dolby Vision changes the metadata for color saturation, brightness, and other parameters on a frame-by-frame basis while HDR is a one-time parameter for the whole program.

I asked some people in the industry how much it cost to license Dolby Vision for streaming devices and they gave me a range of $1-$5 per unit depending on scale.

Numerous devices in the $25 - $30 range support Dolby Vision.

Also, I would add that Dolby Vision changes the metadata for color saturation, brightness, and other parameters on a frame-by-frame basis while HDR is a one-time parameter for the whole program.
I was told that its around $2.50 per device... but there is also a larger licensees that has to be paid to Broadcom as well. No idea on the cost of that.

But my feeling is if you can purchase. $30 Android TV box and it can do dolby vision then this new DISH product that is advertising best picture quality... then it should support Dolby Vision too.

I mean what was the big difference between the original Apple TV 4K and the new Apple TV 4K? They added Dolby Digital to it.

Anyone who has a new iPhone and shoots video is shooting in Dolby Vision. Wouldn't it be nice to see it as shot without having to change inputs on your TV? Isn't that one of the main reason DISH is making these boxes

Can you tell I want Dolby Vision support? :D :D

Last edited:
…and don’t forget the raised ring around the Menu button so you could orient the remote by feel…

They added Dolby Atmos to it, they already had Dolby Digital...
I am assuming based on the rest of his post that he meant Vision and not digital.

However, both generations of ATV4k support DV and Atmos. What they changed on the video front is the latest gen added support for HDR at 60fps, whereas the first gen is limited to 30fps.

But both DV and Atmos are supported on either model.

I thought Dish abandoned the Smart Home approach years ago. Is this a second go at it?
Dish has never abandoned the smart home approach. If anything they’ve been pushing it further and further. Integration with Nest, now Google which is dropping the Nest brand name. The Ontech division that installs everything from Simpli Safe to wewboost and just about every Smart home product that you can think of. Now doing installs for ADT with that becoming a big push.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)