Ground Loop Problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Well, I finally isolated the high pitched squeal that happens when I listen to my Sirius Receiver.

I thought it was bad speaker wiring at first. I fixed that. Then I noticed that the hum does not happen on FM or CD, just on AUX mode with the Sirius receiver turned on. So then I mess with my aux input cable and lo and behold the humming only happens when the cable is plugged in.

Will installing a Ground Loop Isolator fix my problem for sure, or do I have a faulty aux input?

Not exactly sure of your setup, but do you have something else, like an mp3 player or something to plug into the aux port, and see if it still happens?

That would let you know if it's actucally the port.

Best I can think of is trial and error...

You might also want to try floating the ground pin in one of the power cables, assuming you have one in both. That worked for an old projection TV/stereo system I had with an annoying buzz in one channel. I wasn't too happy not having the power cord grounded to the TV, but in reality it was finding a ground back through the antenna connections and the connection to the stereo...

Last edited:
Well, I installed a ground loop isolator when I got home.

It was quite easy. It has an RCA male pair end that goes into my aux input port, and a female RCA pair for the Sirius receiver to plug into, then it comes with 2 ground wires.

I used my wiring harness's amplifier ground and connected one of them there. We shall see how it works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)