Grounding help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bloomdog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Hello All,
Can anyone give me some instructions on grounding my dish and motor? I am about to install on side of my house and I know proper grounding is required.
Thanks for your help.:D

The correct way is to ground the dish and cable to your electric service grounding point. Unfortunately, this is often very difficult, depending on how far your dish farm is away from your service.

The correct way is to ground the dish and cable to your electric service grounding point.

Was that a change to the NEC in 2006? The reason I ask is I took a Power Limited course here in MN in 2005 and this was brought up. The teacher (who is a licensed electrician) pointed out in the 2005 code book what the grounding requirements were. I don't have my book handy, but I thought it needed a 8' copper grounding rod with 8AWG wire. However, I have seen on the on Minnesota's website where this is a common electrical violation and it indeed needs to be grounded to your premises. Which is why I am in the processes of re-grounding my FTA setup. :eek:

The proper way to ground the system is to the service ground,which consist of an 8' groundrod bonded to the waterservice and the grounding bar in your panel.
If you ground it separately you could possibly have a differance of potential between the two grounds.That could cause arcing and damage to your equipment.
Reinhold

As far as I know, it has been that way for some time. I wanted to run a separate ground rod for the satellite system, and found out that wouldn't be up to code. This makes it hard for me to properly ground my system, since the electric service is on the opposite corner of the house from my dish farm :eek:

Proper grounding is a subject of much debate, interpretation, and confusion. Many installers don't ground at all. Local inspectors have different "reads" of the same rule book, some have local rule books that read differently.

It seems that the reason for grounding is to protect against lightning. Some areas of the US seldom have lightning storms while other areas have storms regularly.

Therefore, it seems, it is best to ground in a way that is acceptable to the local inspector.

IMHO

Bob

The proper way to ground the system is to the service ground,which consist of an 8' groundrod bonded to the waterservice and the grounding bar in your panel.

This was brought up in my class, and the instructor said it is only legal for the telephone to be grounded to the water service, not your TV antenna or satellite. I ended up having my local electrical inspector out for a separate reason (basement inspection) and got his recommendation on my TV antenna and FTA setup.

Therefore, it seems, it is best to ground in a way that is acceptable to the local inspector.

This is why I am redoing my grounding this spring, as my local inspector recommended I change it from its current 8' ground-rod setup.

As far as I know, it has been that way for some time. I wanted to run a separate ground rod for the satellite system, and found out that wouldn't be up to code. This makes it hard for me to properly ground my system, since the electric service is on the opposite corner of the house from my dish farm :eek:

I've seen probably a hundred installs in the the New Orleans area..and not ONE of them was grounded. NOT ONE. Mine aren't....I asked the Directv installer one time about it and he said down here there is really no need because of the composition of the soil around here...on the other hand I've never heard of a dish down here being struck either...although law of averages says it has to have happened though.

I have the same problem...I'd have to run 100' of bare wire to ground my dishes....:(

We do have a severe thunderstorm problem, so that is a point of concern. I've seen static electricity on things (not my dishes, I'd freak out :D )... As for the solution, I'm under the impression that a separate rod ground is better than no ground at all. This may not be so, however.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)