Grounding Run

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kc5qih

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
Hello Everyone..good morning to all. I had a question about grounding. I know that in Amateur Radio, you can not have a Ground Wire a certain length(on the HF frequencies)because of the way it would interact with whatever frequency you were operating on(now with that said-and it really isn't related here is my question.)The way i understand the purpose of grounding in Satellite Installations is for lightning protection. My Question is are there any physical limits on the length of your ground wire going to your central grounding point. The spot where im going to install my system is probably around 25 to 30 feet(the way i have to run it)from my central grounding spot on the side of my house, so i just wanted to make sure that it would be okay to route a ground wire that long; i would think that it would be okay but again im new to this and am not altogether sure.

Thanks

Chris

Okay so from what I understand about it, a good place to run the ground wire would be into the pipe that connects into the breaker box, which i've always known to run to the "weatherhead" adn then to but a grounding block where your coax enters the building and run another ground wire off of it to the afforementioned grounding site. Do I have it right? It doesn't seem to complicated but does the actualy dish get grounded or does it get it's ground from the mast being grounded? I think I understand it..i'm basiscally trying to learn as much as possible before the install so i won't have to run back and forth between my installation location and my computer to ask questions then.

Mast is good enough as long as its metal and connected to the dish, so yes both the cable and dish(mast) MUST be grounded if you want to have it done to NEC code!

I'll echo what PSB said... ground the cable *and* the dish.

Fortunately, my dish is pole mounted right beside my main house ground, which is also where my cable enters the house. So, everything is very easily grounded.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)