Grounding vs. antenna performance ??

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
Hey, folks! I couldn't find anything on this topic with a cursory search. Sorry if it's repetitive...

Other than the obvious reasons for grounding an OTA antenna system (lightning, EMI, and static mitigation, code compliance, insurance implications, etc.) is there a performance advantage to proper grounding?

My 4228/7777 system has been underwhelming since I converted it from a temporary installation that showed promise to a more permanent one late last fall. That included raising it another 5', but also moving it laterally about 10' to a better mounting location. Neither installation included a proper ground, which I fully intend to install now that the lightning season is building up.

But I'm curious - does the 4228, or any other OTA antenna for that matter, depend on a solid connection to ground to reach its full potential performance-wise ??

(I have a 6ga. solid copper wire bolted firmly to the antenna's frame that will ultimately run unbroken all the way to the ground at my entrance panel, a total distance of about 70'. I will also run that wire through the connection on the top of a 4' ground rod, and through the coax ground block near the base of the mast. The mast and system are otherwise ungrounded except where the coax ultimately enters the receiver, a connection that is presently hanging loose until I can complete the proper installation!)

TIA for any insight, and BRgds...

I have never seen any data indicating grounding has any effect on reception.

You might double check your connections, and make sure there are no stray shield wires shorting the center conductor.

I have found that moving an antenna can have consequences for digital reception, either good or bad. You might try moving the antenna back where it was, if possible to see if the original performance returns.

Digital and especially UHF digital signals tend to be spotty and irregular throughout the atmosphere. you may have moved the antenna to a dead spot.

bhelms, The 4228 300 ohm antenna dose not need to be RF grounded. would be a good idea to ground the reflector grid for a safety ground (lightning). The 7777 amp. dose need to be grounded at the start of a long coax run.

Last edited:
Tks both for your replies. The antenna's grid will be well grounded as soon as I complete the ground path. I have the "top" end of the 6 ga, copper wire connected to both of the u-bolts that mount the antenna to the mast.

roashru - At this point I can't get to the thing without taking it down again, but I think the coax is grounded at the top by virtue of the 7777 housing that is bolted to that same (to be grounded) mast section. Is that what you had in mind? Other than that, the coax will have it's ground block at the house entrance that is about 35' below the antenna. From there is is about another 50' to the PS and the receiver.

Jim - Tks. I believe what you say. I realize that even a small lateral move off axis of the receiving direction and/or a height change can make a significant difference either way, and I guess without some specialized equipment (SA?) it's really tough without trial and error to find the best location for max. signal strength/lowest multipath. I fear that I made a move in the wrong direction. The antenna works very well on certain channels so I'm rather certain there are no shorts or other such problems, but I almost completely lost another channel that seemed to be coming in fairly well before I made the move. I do have a rotator in the system so I can tweak the bearing, but that has not given me back the channel as well as I once had it. Right now I'm grasping at straws hoping to avoid moving it again, along with the substantial mount I made and the 6 guy wires, etc...!

BRgds...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)