Guidance: what EQUIP to get - DISH

Abbottim

Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Morning folks. Decided to switch to Dish. Wondering about recommendations for equipment. We have three users, each on their own TV.

- Does the Whole Home DVR have folders to divide recordings between users (so I don't have to search the kids' recordings)?
- None of our users watches the others' programs, and no one migrates from one TV to the other.
- We do sometimes want to watch programming from our iP or WiFi devices.

Any recommendations for equipment we should order? Thanks, from Orange County, CA!!

I am more than happy to go over the best options for you today! Will there be a lot of recording going on? Will all TV’s be in heavy use?

Please PM me w/the phone number to better provide you with the best options.

Thanks

Reactions: Tampa8
Hopper with a Super Joey and a Joey would be my suggestion that would give you 5 satellite tuners and independent control on 3 TVs.

I would suggest a Hopper with Sling with a Super Joey and regular or for only $2 more a month you can get two Hoppers with Sling and a Joey and that would give you a total of 6 tuners. Going with two Hoppers not only gives you another tuner but also gives you double the hard drive space for recordings. It also allows you to have two separately accessible DVRs. Don't forget the fact that if one Hopper happened to die you would still be able to watch TV on the other Hopper, with the Hopper and Super Joey scenario you would out of luck with the whole system.

Welcome! I grew up in Anaheim, CA. I could watch the Disneyland fireworks every night at 9PM from my front yard.
Does the Whole Home DVR have folders to divide recordings between users (so I don't have to search the kids' recordings)?

The Hopper is designed to integrate your recordings in one place, so this is to some degree at cross purposes to your next question. I don't have a Hopper, so I can't answer the question above, but I don't think it has folders that will do this. Perhaps you can set up separate folders on each Joey?
None of our users watches the others' programs, and no one migrates from one TV to the other.

Earlier receivers might work for you, e.g. three VIP 612 receivers. Each VIP 612 receiver has 2 satellite tuners and 1 OTA tuner. I have two and they work well for our family.
We do sometimes want to watch programming from our iP or WiFi devices.

OK, that could be a problem if you're referring to a Dish Sling-whatever. You could always add a standalone Slingbox that can connect to any A/V source. But the cheapest way to go is with a Hopper w/Sling, or a VIP722 w/Sling Adapter. (I have the latter as well as 2 612s.)

I believe that you casn create folders for each user, but the programs in the folders cannot be in sub folders. So, if you had five episodes of one show and 7 of another. You would get and individual icon for each program. Also, if you want to watch programs on your tablet, you will need a Hopper with sling (HWS). I would recommend two HWS and a joey.

So if I create folders and I have 4 episodes of one program they will not be in a sub folder?
Can programs be moved into a folder?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The number of user folders is very limited (like 5 total) and is not private to the user setting them up AFAIK.
Recordings are default assigned to the "No Folder" but can be assigned at recording or later moved to any folder.
The EHD knows nothing of folders.
-Ken

I believe that you casn create folders for each user, but the programs in the folders cannot be in sub folders. So, if you had five episodes of one show and 7 of another. You would get and individual icon for each program. Also, if you want to watch programs on your tablet, you will need a Hopper with sling (HWS). I would recommend two HWS and a joey.

While the older ViP's have sub-folders in CUSTOM folders, the Hopper does not as of yet. This is a greatly desired request, and I think Dish knows it. We have no official word, but I would HOPE Dish is working on this. Sometimes we are told of Dish working on things, but often, many new or enhanced features occur without advanced word, I think, to avoid disappointment by subscribers if it takes longer than anticipated to get that update out or even just be held to a commitment that such an upgrade is coming if it doesn't work out. IMHO, I have hope Dish is really working on this and I would not be surprised to see it added in the "near" feature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts