Guide Info after 01/05/11

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LMICKEY1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
NE Texas
I have a 922. My subscription with SRL is up the 23rd. I am not going to let my 922 turn
into a 410 because I want to keep my generic satellites. If I subscribe to something on W5
after 01/05/11, will I get guide information ?:confused:
I consider a subscription useless if I don't know what's coming up next.

As of right now if you don't turn your 922 into a 410 the guide will probably not work. This is because of the way the receivers take the data. It is possible there will be a work around later but testing cannot start till the Motorola SAC is history. I don't have full confirmation but have heard the guide will end on 12/28 for the 4DTV's current SAC. IMHO the generic maps are way more important than the guide. I ran my analog units for years without a guide and back then we didn't have an internet to turn to with program guides.

Everyone has to understand that we are embarking on a new journey and there is much that needs to be researched and will take time to figure out. If a guide is so important get an old DirecTV receiver and 18" dish from someone. Point it at 101 ku and you will get a free guide. I did that for a while before I subbed to Direct since the 4DTV guide went down regularly or was missing info.

I currently have the W5-Superpak and All Starz and was thinking of the same after 01/05. But that's too many channels to have to go somewhere else for information so I guess I won't subscribe unless/until they get the guide back on my 922.

I currently have the W5-Superpak and All Starz and was thinking of the same after 01/05. But that's too many channels to have to go somewhere else for information so I guess I won't subscribe unless/until they get the guide back on my 922.

If you need the guide right away all you can do is brick your 4DTV. Right now we can't have our cake and eat it too. We need to be thankful that people like Davage and I care about the 4DTV so much as a hobby and a subscription service, that we perused making contacts and getting people with power and pull to listen to our idea's and try new things. If it was left up to the majority of people out there. There would be no workaround at all, so lets be thankful we are where we are. Davage and I will continue to give our ideas and input and hopefully more can happen. Everything that ever happened for the better of C band history was always initiated by a few who really believed in and love this hobby.

You know what gets me fired up is the people that say if they don't get this or that, that they won't subscribe to any programming. If you don't sub to anything then what are the chances of possibly getting any other channels like the networks or news channels for example. If we all show some interest by buying a subsciption then Comcast might make other programming available as well as a guide for those who don't brick their 4DTV's. Lets all show some support or else this may not fly, and there is no chance that I will sub to pizza or cable, I'll do without TV before I go pizza. Just my 2 cents.

You know what gets me fired up is the people that say if they don't get this or that, that they won't subscribe to any programming. If you don't sub to anything then what are the chances of possibly getting any other channels like the networks or news channels for example. If we all show some interest by buying a subsciption then Comcast might make other programming available as well as a guide for those who don't brick their 4DTV's. Lets all show some support or else this may not fly, and there is no chance that I will sub to pizza or cable, I'll do without TV before I go pizza. Just my 2 cents.

I agree we must all support the system to make things happen. Comcast is only interested in the bottom line if it's in the best interest it will happen. Threatening I won't sub because it isn't a perfect world won't make it happen any faster or for sure.

Most don't understand that the HITS guide works on the trickle principle and the 4D works on the massive dump principle. The receivers can handle either one but have to be set up to do one or the other. Thats why you brick the 4DTV if you want the trickle steam. We should be glad the authorization don't work like that because then there would be only the brick option. It was thought that was true but in my heart I felt different so my idea was tried and worked :) So the auth don't care as long as the the UID # is in the SAC.

What will probably have to happen with the guide is if the Denver channels come on line the 4DTV will have to get it's own dump or trickle guide on W1 with it's own maps to do multiple birds. This all has to be researched and will cost money to do. The first thing we have to get over is the transition on the 5th. Once the Motorola stream is gone then we can start to look into options for more channels, guide etc. Rome was not built in a day.

Last edited:
I have been into C-Band since 1980. I built my first C-Band receiver from scratch. (I am a retired antenna/RF engineer now). I use my 922 as a dish mover and generics for programming I can't get with my slaved dvb receiver. That is my primary passion, not subscription C-Band. I was going to have to stop subscribing to 4DTV programming anyway, because a neighbors tree has grown up between my dish and G1. My quality on my G1 Starz channels has dropped into the mid 40's. I lost the G1 HBO channels about a year ago.

Incidentally, I had DirecTV from 1994 until a few years ago. I got tired of their continual price increases and movement of channels out of my package into a higher priced package. The last straw was when they swapped Music Choice with another music package. I still have the receivers and dish but I am not going to re-install the dish for a program guide.

I remember when music choice was gone-that sucked. The price game put me off of directv as well. All that BS of x amount of dollars for 6 months then revert to regular price....I always wondered why people fall for that stuff? Why not lay out the real price up front?

I have been into C-Band since 1980. I built my first C-Band receiver from scratch. (I am a retired antenna/RF engineer now).

Then you should understand there are technical and financial hurdles that have to be overcome. One can't happen without the other. You may want to look into a 410 if you want to subscribe with a full guide and leave your 4D as is.

Last edited:
I remember when music choice was gone-that sucked. The price game put me off of directv as well. All that BS of x amount of dollars for 6 months then revert to regular price....I always wondered why people fall for that stuff? Why not lay out the real price up front?

They always play with the numbers trying to confuse you and make you think you get a deal. I wish Direct still carried XM the way it was before the Sirius deal. Having DMX in 4 places for me is useless.

Since my 922 has been fixed on W5 for several years it's never a guide, just whatever minimal info about the current programs title and that's it. My 922 isn't going to be converted. I have SRL clearing one of my spare 410 receivers with Motorola as we speak for use after January 4th. I lost my unit I purchased in 2007 to a dead battery last summer.

The disappointing issue I just learned is that BBC America and the other Discovery channels such as Health will no longer be available in the new packages in 2011. I wonder what else is slated to leave?

So I'm guessing the bottom line is to wait until the 5th?. My subscription is up on the 23rd & for a few bucks, I can keep it going until the 4th. But should I wait until the 5th to see what happens? Should I just unplug my 922 or disable the automatic updates after Christmas?
I thought I was fairly intelligent when it comes to my bud but after reading these forums, I see I haven't got much of a clue at all.
I'm also thinking of purchasing an FTA receiver by the end of the week. I'm not sure if I will need the 4DTV satellite maps or not. I'm debating between the Pansat 250, 3500sd, or the Sonicview. In any case, I don't want my 922 turned into something I might regret.

:eek:There is another way of getting a guide if you do not have an old Directv receiver to park on 101 Ku
DIRECTV: My DIRECTV: TV and Pay Per View

We personally do not use it, we can wait till stuff gets worked out.

If we wanted to, we keep a laptop running on the coffee table, so we could look it up if needed

It's funny reading how the world is ending because of no guide. What did people do before there was a guide? No such animal when I started in C band. The world has become spoiled by technology. I remember having to get up to change channels or volume on a tv and I survived.

Hello all. I currently have a subscription with SkyVision for the Denver and Miami locals and I love them!! Got to see the Denver vs Oakland game this weekend that was blacked out here locally because of this. Does this January change mean I am losing these channels forever? I am paid up until April 2011 right now. I want to keep subscribing to keep Cband running but I don't like the idea of converting my receiver just for HBO when I can get that from Directv. Is the DCII stream being discontinued?
Thanks
Bob

Will the time be correct for the 4DTV if it isn't converted? Will the 4D get the correct time from W5/X4?

Thank You for getting us a solution.
My wife was getting a little bored with over the air.
I just e-mailed SRL with my receiver #

Without an active subscription the 4DTV's clock will be all over the place.

I think you answered my question. I do have a sub to SyFy but I'm not sure if I'll re-sub now that SGU has been cancelled. Well maybe, I do like Eureka and Warehouse 13.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts