Guide Info Stinks!

Even re-setting some timers some episodes will record and others won't. In one instance there was no description other than "New"

This is getting out of hand. My wife is ready to pay the ETF over this if it isn't resolved...

6 months later, and it isn't even fixed completely for TIVO people, and ROVI OWNS Tivo.

What does that tell you about their priorities?

Reactions: TheKrell
I don't enjoy the truncated program descriptions on our 722K.
Yeah, it really becomes useless bec....

Seriously though, will this be addressed or is this viewed as a "feature". Oddly enough, the DVR fee we pay is a programming guide fee... which I can respect. But if the guide is only giving me a Title with a two paragraph synopisis which cuts off at the second sentence... am I not getting what I'm paying for?

Reactions: pattykay
Yeah, it really becomes useless bec....

Seriously though, will this be addressed or is this viewed as a "feature". Oddly enough, the DVR fee we pay is a programming guide fee... which I can respect. But if the guide is only giving me a Title with a two paragraph synopisis which cuts off at the second sentence... am I not getting what I'm paying for?
Well, Dish is also "truncating" the DVR fee for grandfathered subscribers, only charging $7 or $10 depending on when you were grandfathered, or $12 for grandfathered Hopper subscribers. So, I predict that the truncated info problem will be fixed when Dish ends the DVR fee grandfathering. :D

We have OFFICIALLY been told to delete the non-working timers and create new one. That's Dish's solution!
And it doesn't even work consistently. I've had to delete and reprogram several shows (such as The Expanse) multiple times, and the Hopper STILL misses them sometimes. We shouldn't have to babysit our DVRs like this.

This guide situation has made what should be one of the best DVRs a piece of unreliable crap.

We have OFFICIALLY been told to delete the non-working timers and create new one. That's Dish's solution!
As we all know, deleting and creating new timers doesn't always work. I have shows that I have to create a new timer for each week. I've been a long time dish customer, but this new guide info is useless. I'm tired of having to check to make sure my shows are recording.

Sent from my SM-P550 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Rovi is one of the reasons I switched from Tivo to DirecTV in the first place. It is sad to see Dish customers suffering as well. I wonder who Sling uses? Will this affect their new DVR service as well?
So, this new guide data is provided by Rovi, eh? Since their guide data is pure garbage, how are they still in business? I suppose more to the point: Why is Dish using this outfit?

The data has to be manipulated to work with The Dish system. Just like when Tivo was switched to Rovi data, it will take some time to get the formatting correct in addition to correcting the show errors. TiVo had a few months to prepare and it still took several months to get it a useable state and still occasionally has errors. Dish apparently made the move quicker than TiVo so the errors are expected. Dish and Rovi will get it fixed but I bet it takes several more months

The thing i don't understand is how programs don't record when they are in the scheduled list and nothing changes in the guide data, description, etc. Its one thing to not record a new episode because it didn't say new in the info or the title of the show has changed, but to not record a show when it is in the scheduled list makes no sense at all.

Reactions: gregleg
The thing i don't understand is how programs don't record when they are in the scheduled list and nothing changes in the guide data, description, etc. Its one thing to not record a new episode because it didn't say new in the info or the title of the show has changed, but to not record a show when it is in the scheduled list makes no sense at all.

It isn't what the description says it's how the show is coded.

Reactions: osu1991
The data has to be manipulated to work with The Dish system. Just like when Tivo was switched to Rovi data, it will take some time to get the formatting correct in addition to correcting the show errors. TiVo had a few months to prepare and it still took several months to get it a useable state and still occasionally has errors. Dish apparently made the move quicker than TiVo so the errors are expected. Dish and Rovi will get it fixed but I bet it takes several more months

Occasionally is an understatement. Now I realize that guide data will never be 100% accurate, but the rate of errors from Rovi is ridiculous. Every platform they have rolled out on has been a disaster. Tivo users are still suffering 8 months later.

Occasionally is an understatement. Now I realize that guide data will never be 100% accurate, but the rate of errors from Rovi is ridiculous. Every platform they have rolled out on has been a disaster. Tivo users are still suffering 8 months later.

Since about mid February I can't remember any errors other than a few movies that were remakes that had the info for the older movie instead of the remake. My listings for Cox and for OTA on 4 TiVos has been correct and hasn't missed any recordings.

The actual guide descriptions still stink and news programs and such have generic descriptions with just air dates, but the data is correct and useable now.

I realize some areas are still having problems but overall TiVo and Rovi are making improvements to adapt the data to work with the various providers GUI's.

And it doesn't even work consistently. I've had to delete and reprogram several shows (such as The Expanse) multiple times, and the Hopper STILL misses them sometimes. We shouldn't have to babysit our DVRs like this.

This guide situation has made what should be one of the best DVRs a piece of unreliable crap.
I feel your pain. And I am dealing with this on both Dish and TiVo.

Reactions: dishrich
I agree. With the 211k I also have to constantly check the next day to make sure programs I want to record are still highlighted to record. I used to get new episodes only of certain shows and now if they are repeated, I also get the repletes. I sure wish Dish would go back to what they had. This is a pain.

I'll add that it has been several months since the TiVo change to Rovi metadata, and we are STILL dealing with major problems and still have either incorrect or no data or just generic prgram info. I can only hope Dish can get TiVo (Rovi) to not have these pains on Dish still many months from now.

Reactions: ncted
Just a couple of questions, as I am considering choosing a provider ( I only watch Netflix now).
Are most of these problems related to programming entire series to record? When I have had a DVR I usually just choose shows from the guide a few days at a time.
What guide information service do other providers use? I have tried to use TiVo for OTA and indeed it was a nightmare, not so much due to guide descriptions but they have no understanding of the difference between "virtual" and "real rf" channels.

I find the TiVo guide data to be much superior and more complete than Dishes guide data.

TiVo has picked up ALL the new subchannels in our DMA and the guide data is relatively accurate.

I never read the descriptions of the programs anyway, I either want to watch something or I don't by title, not by someone else's idea of content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)