Guide Info Stinks!

Back to having some guide issues. First I had to delete and make new timers for three shows, two of them Pawn Stars and Storage Wars. It's obviously because they are being coded differently. I caught them before missing shows when I saw there were new episodes in the guide but not set to record. Old episodes were shown as not recording as it should be. So from the guide I created a timer and now all new episodes are again set to record, and when I deleted the old timer none of the old shows are even acknowledged. There is show on Spike I can't think of at the moment with the same problem.

Second too many shows again have wrong information or generic information. All of a sudden and the same time as the first problem some shows are giving erroneous air dates and and are not recording. One is X Factor UK on Axs. It gives the same date for every episode now. American Pickers is hit and miss, generic information but it does seem to record when new. There is more but you get the idea.........

I am having same issues with Pawn Stars and Storage Wars too. I check my schedule every morning and have started checking it again in the afternoons and repair timers as required. I just wonder if the TV giants are screwing around with the guide coding.

What was the original reason for changing the guide providers? It used to be great, now the movie listings, half of them don't even list the actors. You can't find new movies with the actors you like because they aren't listed. Why did Dish switch? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Tribune reportedly tried to jack the rates by a sizable margin when their renewal came up, and rather than pay the increase, Dish chose to make a last minute switch to Rovi before the Tribune contract expired.

I had to laugh the other day at a guide data screw up. I hit the guide info for the movie "La La Land" and the guide data across the top where it lists the actors listed Keanu Reeves as the leading actor. Trying to picture Keanu Reeves in a musical. :oldlaugh

Tribune reportedly tried to jack the rates by a sizable margin when their renewal came up, and rather than pay the increase, Dish chose to make a last minute switch to Rovi before the Tribune contract expired.
Sad but true. It had nothing to do with improving the service and everything to do with saving a few bucks.

I was really worried about the Rovi guide data, but I've only had one issue so far, and I am pretty sure it was NBC's fault for saying Meet the Press would be on at 9AM instead of 10AM on a Sunday a few weeks back.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I was really worried about the Rovi guide data, but I've only had one issue so far, and I am pretty sure it was NBC's fault for saying Meet the Press would be on at 9AM instead of 10AM on a Sunday a few weeks back.

I think a lot of the issues is with the TV folks incorrectly coding the guide. Pawn Stars is a typical example with a couple of my timers. For the last several weeks the series timer skips the new episodes. I finally deleted the series timer and just set up manual one time timers for the new episodes. Every Sunday I print a favorites list using Like TitanTV of our timers for the upcoming week and circle the programs that should record for the week. So I catch the new programs that should record when I check the DVR schedule list. Then each morning I check the daily DVR schedule again, sometimes twice a day. I have done this for years even during my Charter cable days. It is a PITA but it sure catches a lot of the errors and keeps me out of hot water with the Commander!

Reactions: JSheridan
And you can thank your friends at Disney, Time Warner, Viacom, CBS and the other content owners for those increases. They're the villains.
If they are going to raise our rates anyway, I would want the guide to list the details, is that a lot to ask? All my movies show "No Cast or Crew Information Available". I have to get out my iPad just to find out what these movies are about.

If they are going to raise our rates anyway, I would think that the guide info service list the actors, is that a lot to ask? All my movies show "No Cast or Crew Information Available". I have to get out my iPad just to find out what these movies are about.

How does the cast or crew tell you what the movie is about? I see informative descriptions on most all shows and movies, old and new.

Again, the annual rate increases are generally to cover programming costs. I don't think anybody would like another rate increase to cover costs for an over priced guide info provider. As shown here in majority of the posts it seems that most people have few or no complaints about the current info provider.

Reactions: charlesrshell
How does the cast or crew tell you what the movie is about? I see informative descriptions on most all shows and movies, old and new.

Again, the annual rate increases are generally to cover programming costs. I don't think anybody would like another rate increase to cover costs for an over priced guide info provider. As shown here in majority of the posts it seems that most people have few or no complaints about the current info provider.
Honestly, you don't care who acts in or directs a movie?

I can hardly wait for my savings rebate that Charlie is going to send me with the savings from the change.

Honestly, you don't care who acts in or directs a movie? Please don't insult my intelligence.

I think you do a good job insulting your own intelligence. I just now called up the guide and went to channel 300 HBO and pressed Info and this is what I saw:

HBO1.jpg
HBO2.jpg

I'm in complete agreement with the many that find this guide that Dish has been using to be virtual garbage. I once commented that it was so bad I think they're paying Dish to use it. Amazingly, there are a few that actually defend this obvious downgrade in EPG's.

It's not a matter of 'defending a downgrade'. It's the fact that most people are happy with the current guide data that comes along with no price increase for it. If they kept the old provider the price was going to go way up.

Like most others here the current data works fine for me and apparently for most everybody else in the US because Rovi is by far the most popular guide data provider for all of the providers including most cable companies.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts