H/J install question

sTuffedParrot

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
GA
I currently have a 922 and a 612. My question may seem odd, but the only time an installer has ever been in my house was to hookup the 922 and 612 in my LR. I had 2 512's prior, no problem, just replace, power and leave my house.
I had originally installed my own dish and receivers myself about 10 years ago, no installer.
i have 2 RG6 cables coming into my 2 receivers directly, 1 to each. I have a 3rd that goes to a distribution panel in another room, used to be OTA Ant, but is now on 3rd leg of LNB, I patch this thru to the LR so i can get the 3 Inputs if needed. I currently use this cable patched to another room for the 612 when i want to move it. (Only way i can get HD on other side of house). I can re-patch this room for a Joey.
My question(S) is/are:

1. can the installer be convinced to drop off a Hopper and Joeys and just leave, i can connect and activate.
2. If i let them connect the Hopper and at least 1 joey, do you think they would leave me 2 others and leave? i can do those.

I have RG6 going to several rooms already but i may have to do some on the fly patching which i may need to do some tinkering with, so i really dont want to waste anyones time with me doing this. Also I have RG6 in everyroom in the house that i used with SD and modulators (old school), this stuff may confuse some novice installers and i really dont want to get into what will work and what wont.
and, Dish to Hopper about 100'
each leg of RG6 is 30-120' with maybe 2 RG6 barrels or splitters.

also i just dont like people i dont know walking around my house.

So sorry if i sound to Nutz, but what do you guys think i should expect?
thanks,

1. No.
2. Very doubtful.

So you know how to marry a Joey to a Hopper and in what sequence? And set up the Zigbee remotes? How about proper use of solo and duo nodes, taps, isolators? They don't want "come back" trouble. I doubt they'll allow a consumer, at this point, to activate anything regarding H/J. Probably require a retailer number or some such.

The install process for the H/J is just a tad bit more complex than the traditional reciever set out its not likely a tech just drop off the equipment and roll.

And have watched the Dish training videos, etc...

But Dish can't set policies based on the 0.0..01% of their customers on these forums.

All the self-installers will probably just have to make sure they have all the cabling in place and ready to plug in hen the tech gets there and look at the $40 or so for the tech visit as shipping.

John Kotches said:
Some of the members here at SatGuys are very technically astute to say the least.

Dude, i realize that. Been reading enough to realize many DIYers here know more about the way the systems work than most of the guys in my shop know. Because the guys in the shop have less of an interest, outside of getting a paycheck, than what the forum members do.

I was just making a statement that it is a little more complex.

And watching the training videos make you just as prepared if not more than prepared than 90 percent of the guys in my office.

I have never had a tech install nor repair visit. Will continue to find a way to do it myself. This is not a cost issue with me.

I agree. I have done all my own installs for years now. The diagram showing how the node is hooked up to the system looks pretty easy to me to self install. That is why I have bought all my own receivers and dishes . I like the ability to do it myself and to figure it out. I sometimes would have to call the tech department at first , but now I could figure it out just be looking at the pictures and reading the instructions. I worked for hours on my 1000.4 eastern arc dish and followed the instructions line by line and I get some of the highest signal reading I've ever seen posted on this site: 72.7 sat - 60 -70/ 77 sat - 45- 55/61.5 sat -50-70 .

Feels good doing it your self.:hatsoff:

MikeD-C05 said:
I agree. I have done all my own installs for years now. The diagram showing how the node is hooked up to the system looks pretty easy to me to self install. That is why I have bought all my own receivers and dishes . I like the ability to do it myself and to figure it out. I sometimes would have to call the tech department at first , but now I could figure it out just be looking at the pictures and reading the instructions. I worked for hours on my 1000.4 eastern arc dish and followed the instructions line by line and I get some of the highest signal reading I've ever seen posted on this site: 72.7 sat - 60 -70/ 77 sat - 45- 55/61.5 sat -50-70 .

Feels good doing it your self.:hatsoff:

I work in an area where no body ever does anything for themselves.

I was sent to a service call, to change batteries in a remote.

Dude, i realize that. Been reading enough to realize many DIYers here know more about the way the systems work than most of the guys in my shop know. Because the guys in the shop have less of an interest, outside of getting a paycheck, than what the forum members do.

I was just making a statement that it is a little more complex.

I believe Dish should offer a self-install option. They aren't and I can live with it. It's their profit margin, not mine.

And watching the training videos make you just as prepared if not more than prepared than 90 percent of the guys in my office.

Which is why I would prefer the self install option.

Or at least offer a self install option through the Dirt team for those of us in the know.....(I know, it'll probably never happen)

It would cost as much to ship the stuff to you as the installation. Run the inside wiring the way you want it and pony up the 40 bucks (15 for the visit under the plan and 25 to cancel the plan) for the installer to put on the ends , connect to the node and hopper/joey, and go through the activation hassle. :)

I'll be happy, if I go the H/J route, to remove my ViP722s and wire up the coax so the installer will have very little to do, and maybe keep him out of my attic.

To deactivate those ViP722s, will they need the R00/S00 numbers? That could complicate my pre-wiring if they do. But I don't recall that being a requirement in the past.

Dishman1978 said:
I work in an area where no body ever does anything for themselves.

I was sent to a service call, to change batteries in a remote.

Wow is all I can say about that...batteries in a remote??? haha

What were your thoughts on the way there to change the batteries...I'm not sure what I would be thinking

By owning my dishes and switch, I have a custom install that meets my need: White coax to match the color of the house; separate 30" wing dish with lower-noise (Hawaii version) LNBF for 129 bird, since my locals are on the fringe of spotbeam, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)