Status
Please reply by conversation.

beer4me

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2009
Gowganda North Ontario
Does anyone know for sure if the memory for the Sat positions are stored in the receiver , or , in the motor ?The reason I asked is that sometimes I switch from one receiver location to another using the same dish . I manually switch the cables without a disq switch . I haven't done it in a few years , and , since I have all good positions , I do not want to make a mistake . Thanks guys .

I can only speak to the Stab 90. I do switch receivers, namely an Openbox S9 and a Viewsat 2000. No problem at all with going to the correct sats. Positions must be stored in the motor?

Is anyone still selling DG380 motor or newer model that replaced it?

Sadoun Satellite Sales website shows the DG380 as out-of-stock, and recommends the STAB HH90, then shows it as Back-Ordered. They are showing the STAB HH120 as In Stock.

Thanks guys . That's what I was hoping . A while ago , I seem to recall having to fine tune the settings after the switch over . It is a stab 90.

I currently have a Stab HH90, and formerly had a 120. Stab makes great motors but i'd prefer a wider Azimuth angle.

All DiSEqC 1.2/USALS motors operate the same and no difference between brands or models.

If using DiSEqC 1.2 for motor control, the motor position is manually driven East or West to optimize for a specific satellite, then a unique DiSEqC 1.2 assignment number is selected and both are stored stored in the motor. The motor assessment number is associated with a specific satellite and stored in the STB. As long as motor "0" reference position is set to true south and the same assignment number is assigned to the same satellite for each STB, the receivers and or motors may be swapped without error. The receiver calls out a position assignment number and the motor goes to the motor position previously saved to that DiSEqC 1.2 assignment number.

If using USALS, the STB calculates the correct position then instructs the motor how many counts to move East/West of the center "0" reference position. As long as the motor "0" reference is set at true south and each STB is programmed with the same Longitude and Latitude, the receivers and motors many be swapped without error.

Most HH motors do not support the USALS calculation protocol beyond +/-60 / 65 degrees and require DiSEqC 1.2 to drive to the hardware limit. Since the World is not flat... LOL ... it is not possible to see +/-90 degrees.

The curvature of the earth places the horizon for the US at approximately 70 degrees from True South. Any motor travel in excess of 70 degrees only drives the dish to point below the horizon. :)

Reactions: mr3p
Thanks for the posts Titanium. Learned some new stuff today.

Thanks Cosmo Blatz! We all learn from each other and hopefully create a large knowledge base that will benefit many! :)

I would hate to have collected all of this technical trivia over the past 35 years, just die and have all this stuff permanently stuck in the noggin! :D

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Reactions: Jason S
Thanks as always Titanium. It may be blocked by trees but I'm going to try and find 58W so I'll give DiSEqC 1.2 a try. I'm thinking I may need ~65 degress off true south so may be beyond capabilities of motor

From my location, 30w is at 9° elevation. Of the 6 receivers I've had, the Amiko A3 is the only one that will drive down there under USALS.

Sent from a phone, probably while I'm driving over the speed limit through a school zone with construction workers present.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)