H-Town Voomers post here (yee haw!)

The conversation was pretty much worthless. He told me it must be my TV, everything looks fine here. I told him it was not fine and he said sorry "can't fix something that isn't broken. Call your TV manufacturer." :mad:

*sigh* at least their HD is awesome. I didn't want to complain TOO much. :)

Astrosuperfan : can you give us the phone # so if a lot of us call they may be able to fix it or we will just watch another channel abc,nbc, etc.....I know it is CBS because it is the Only channel that has shifted to the left...HD=Voom

Astrosuperfan : Thanks for the phone # ..I called today at 4:15 pm and talked with 2 engineers. The main one is Austin Reed and he said he would check it out at home where he has a HD Tv and would let us know. I told him it was OTA feed so that he might see the same thing. He said he has D* as a providor and ask him to watch it OTA feed in 4 by 3 with black bars it was showing a shift to the left about an inch. Hope he see's what you and I have seen ....but you know how it is when you take your car to a mechanic the problem does't show up only when you leave the problem comes back...Anyway thanks. Bob in Houston HD=Voom

tallguy said:
Guys, any idea on when 51 will show up?

It's highly unlikely that voom will map this channel. HOWEVER there is hope because the next software update coming this month is going to have the holy grail of OTA for Voom: MANUAL SCAN!!! <crowd cheers>

I am dying for some Astros baseball on KNWS. Thank God for miniplan season tickets!

I noticed last night that I had 2 channels for 39 WB. The PG listed 39-1 and 39-2 inwhich is in spanish. Did you PG show this ? I want 51-1 also but has not appeared.
HD=Voom

I saw it too... I thought they were done mapping channels because the new software update was going to have manual scan. Intersting that they add spanish WB, but not KNWS. ARG!

oh i just saw it too. i saw it on the website yest but i just ignored it.

i might switch to time warner cable hd cause i really don't give a dang bout voom's exclusive but time warner is still missing espn hd. they have all the locals, plus discovery hd, hdnet, hdnet movies, inhd and inhd2. and if u want premium channels they got 4 of those too.

Question about azimuth for Houstonians

Hi guys,
I live in an apartment on 290 @ Hollister and ordered VOOM last week. The install will be this tuesday. I read this post ( DirectTV, Dish and VOOM dish point in different directions ) and it struck me that I may not be able to get VOOM. My assumption that I'd be able to get it was based on the fact that lots of my neighbours have some of these other services and I thought all the satellites were clustered in the same general area up there.

Anyway I have a balcony that faces west so I've can have the dish pointing N, NW, W, SW and possibly even South. Could you guys with the service here in houston tell me what direction (azimuth) your dish points in terms of the points on th compass.

Thanks in advance :)

Azimuth and elevation for Voom Sat in houston

Aleki,

Unfortunately, Voom sat is at 129 deg which is roughly SE. Also the OTA towers are all in Missouri city which is roughly south. You might also consider that the elevation is 39.4 deg if there are tall trees or bldgs in the way.

here is reference: use echostar 3
http://monsterfm.com/engineering/pointdish.htm

If you were a hardcore Voomer, you could put in for an apartment that faces South. On the bright side: it would be a short move :D

You must have SE exposure for Voom

Aleki, you must have some SE exposure (130-ish degrees on the compass) in order to hit the 61.5 sat. Elevation is then 35-ish degrees above horizontal. Good luck!!

Hello Houston area Voomers. I've gotta an HD question for y'all. I have V* and live in west tx. I finally convinced my folks to upgrade their set to HD, and am exploring their HD oppurtunities. I was checking out Time Warner Cable. It seems to have everything. HDNet, InHD, HBO, Show, DHDT, and locals. The only thing TWC doesn't have is West feeds, Starz, Enc, and Max. But all they want is HBO. My question: why did you sign up w/ Voom instead of TWC. For where I live, my cable company has a terrible pq on hd channels, and cannot add any other hd channels b/c of bandwidth issues. It seems TWC is a much easier choice for HD in Houston. Please let me know what's wrong w/twc. Thanks.

cyuhnke said:
It seems TWC is a much easier choice for HD in Houston. Please let me know what's wrong w/twc.

NOTHING.

I would love to have TWC, but I'm in an apartment that has TVMAX :mad: , which is Houston cable's red-headed stepchild. TWC, if I could get it, would be 1st choice with Voom a close second. If your folks can get TWC its a great thing.

I'm so tired of my TW since they seriously lack HD and was looking forward to VOOM but today the installer came by and even though he was doubtful that it would work, he installed the dish and we found that with the dish turned as far as it would go eastward we were still off by just less than 10 degrees. Anyway thanks for all the help you guys have provided. :)

As someone who has had TW HD service for close to a year now I highly recmommend you try VOOM if it's available. The only thing you won't get are HDNET, INHD 1 & 2 and beleive me these are great but after a couple of months you start watching the same stuff over and over and it's hard to be entertained. Also the HD locals feed from the TW HD-box are no match for the OTA tunner on my TV. The picture is noticeably better when I pick up locals directly from the air.

Aleki, who was your installer? The guy that installed mine was great and very professional. He was from Mexico but has lived in Houston for 20 yrs. Voom needs more installers like him. I think his name was Samual or something like that. Too bad you can't get VOOM.

Installer

I don't remember the installer's name but he was a young fellow probably 30 and was really professional. Even though the install didn't take place I'd still give him a 10 since he took the time to explain and show me everything. Seemed like a very nice guy and treated me with a lot of respect.

astrossuperfan said:
NOTHING.

I would love to have TWC, but I'm in an apartment that has TVMAX :mad: , which is Houston cable's red-headed stepchild. TWC, if I could get it, would be 1st choice with Voom a close second. If your folks can get TWC its a great thing.

Thanks guys for all the info. I went ahead and got my parents TWCHD. My dad's a little bummed about no ESPN-HD, but he said it's not a big deal until football season. Hopefully by then Disney and Time Warner will have burried the hatchet. BTW astrossuperfan, what are you doing for service at the new place?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)