H & V transponders and Skew

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jscud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Central NH
After placing my Primestar dish on a new pole I think am getting duplicate channels from vertical transponders showing up as both H & V signals. For example on AMC- 6 Ku, I get 2 sets of the NBC MUX channels. One set identified as 12053V and one set identified 12053H.

Not sure of I am still getting any true horizontal transponder signals. I don't think I am. What could be the reason for this? Is it related to the skew setting? The new pole is plumb and I have the skew set to the proper angle.

you do know that the Primestar LNB's require a multiswitch to combine the two outputs. One is vertical only and one is horizontal only

First check Iceberg's theory by puttng your cable on the other output of the lnb.

If that does not solve it, then I suspect that are getting a voltage drop. You may not be getting enough juice out there to switch your lnb (or your multiswitch) to horizontal polarity. Your blindscan just reads Vertical polarity twice. You can confirm that this theory is correct with the fact that your system never reads Horizontal polarity twice. If you are more than 130 feet from your pole.....voltage drop is the likely culprit.

Look for something that is not connected properly. Alternately you could use a solid copper core RG6 in place of your present copper clad steel core RG6. Solid copper core RG6 which will drop the resistance of your line and up the voltage that arrives at your lnb.

Last edited:
Thanks, I will bet a voltage drop is the problem. I have a SAM3402 Multiswitch. It is probably at least 130 feet away maybe more. The run is pieced together in several places using old (salvaged) RG-6 cable. I guess I need to spring for some new coax.

Does your Primestar lnb have two outputs? If so look closely, most have a small H or V stamped in the metal next to the connector. This would confirm Iceberg's post.

Thanks, I will bet a voltage drop is the problem. I have a SAM3402 Multiswitch. It is probably at least 130 feet away maybe more. The run is pieced together in several places using old (salvaged) RG-6 cable. I guess I need to spring for some new coax.
Reiterating-- The Primestar LNB needs a cable to each connector going to the multiswitch. One line to the H and one line to the V. the output of the multiswitch then goes to the receiver. Unless a connector is BAD there probably would not be enough voltage drop in the cable to cause the switch to not function. You will lose signal first. Not saying it could not happen, but most of my runs are over 150 feet. Multiple cables with the extra connectors cause me top lose signal, but the switches do keep working.

Thanks for all your help. I am back in business again. The problem was due to a voltage drop...long run, old cable, multiple connectors, etc. But the real killer was my addition of a set of diplexers in the line. I had added those so that I could monitor the signal strength of individual transponders with a small monitor out at the pole. After I removed the diplexers the multiswitch was able to work once again.

diplexers drop it by 3.5db if I remember right

Tron said it the best...run separate lines. I dint that too...even ran separate lines for my 2 antennas into the house then combined them

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)