H10 OTA Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Proc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Motown
Question.

I have the D* H10 receiver and use an antenna for my local OTA (DB2 antenna). Overall, I am pleased but still have issues with one of the stations. No matter what antenna I have used (Silver Sensor, Winegard Sensar II, DB2, etc.), I still haven't found that "magic" one that gets all of the stations in (I am within 14 miles of the towers).

Now the reason I posted this here and not in the HD OTA area is that I am wondering what role the OTA receiver in the H10 plays. Could this be an issue? A friend is using the same set up as me (Triple LNB dish) but has the new, H20 receiver. He and I are basically in the same neighborhood and gets fantastic reception OTA with the Silver Sensor.

Is the OTA recever better in the H20? Or is it basically the same thing as the H10? I am tired of fighting with the antenna issues and wonder if the reciever makes a diffence. Eventually, I'll upgrade to the new 5-LNB dish, but not yet, but I may grab the H20 just to see if the OTA receiver is better.

So...does the receiver make a difference in antenna/OTA reception?

There could be differences in sensitivity between two diferent units, even if they were the same model, but there are other factors involved besides that, you do not state what kind of problem specifically, if the problem is a static picture, then that is a signal strength or electrical interference problem usually (yet you say you are close, so lack of signal strength is unlikely), if you see ghosting, and the like, it could be a multipath problem/too strong/too many of the same signal that are out of phase, also length and quallty of the OTA cable from receiver can make a difference, given the fact you are that close to the towers, I suspect you are seeing ghosts/multipath artifacts, possibly from nearby buildings, you may want to try an attenuator to reduce the extra signals, also I have read that placing antennae near tvs, stereos, fluorescent lights, etc. can adversly affect it, and, again it could be electrical interference, anyways, I found a good site that explains the various problems (sources of interference etc) and solutions to overcome these things, and the usual link to antennaweb.org, hope this helped.

NOTE: I am not an expert, nor do I even own either of those models mentioned, you may want to wait to see if someone who is a pro replies ( and no doubt corrects me ;) ).

Stuff about antenna problems:
http://www.kyes.com/antenna/antennadex.html

To find optimal antennae type for your zip:
http://www.antennaweb.org

I've done alot of antenna homework in the past several months. I am within 14 miles of the towers and have tested the antennas I have used with and without a singal attenuator (the attenuator made it worse). With my new DB2 antenna mounted outside on the roof and run straight to the back of the H10 (no diplexers), I get 80-90% or better on most stations. The one in particular doesn't lock on and fluctuates between 30-77% and pixelates out and back in. Its just annoying that in the year 2005, we are bothered by antennas like it was back 30+ years ago.

As mentioned, a nearby friend has the same setup but is using the H20 compared to my H10 and gets consistent signals with his indoor (Silver Sensor) antenna compared to my outdoor one making me wonder whether the OTA receiver in the H20 is better.

Maybe you can have your buddy bring over his receiver, like you said, or if he doesn't want to do that, bring yours to his home, and see if you see any difference, if his works great at your home (or yours works crappy at his home), then you know it's the receiver, if his has the same issues hooked up to your wiring (or yours is perfect at his home), then you know it's in the wiring, the buildings around you, or some other non-receiver factor. If you try yours at his home, and it works great, try and see if he has any attenuators etc in the ota line, maybe he has one and didn't think of mentioning it, also make note of how many splits are off of it (if any) and the approx length compared to your setup, if you have any splitters (or diplexors if applicable) for your OTA, that too can cause many issues, if they are defective or cheapos.

Proc,

The one channel that is bouncing from 30-70 sounds like multipath problems. In the old analogue days we called that ghosting. Now that we're more advanced so our new technology that can't handle the same problems we solved 30 years ago, we have to give it a more advanced name... :)

And I have read that the H20 is better at multipath problems than most receivers.

Is your DB2 on the side of the house closest to the towers? What kind of siding does your house have? Any chance you are getting the multipath from your own house? Have you tried tweaking the db2 left/right/up/down just a smidge?

Good luck, I know how big a pain it can be to remove a multipath problem--usually get one channel at the expense of others...
Tom

tibber said:
Proc,

The one channel that is bouncing from 30-70 sounds like multipath problems. In the old analogue days we called that ghosting. Now that we're more advanced so our new technology that can't handle the same problems we solved 30 years ago, we have to give it a more advanced name... :)

And I have read that the H20 is better at multipath problems than most receivers.

Is your DB2 on the side of the house closest to the towers? What kind of siding does your house have? Any chance you are getting the multipath from your own house? Have you tried tweaking the db2 left/right/up/down just a smidge?

Good luck, I know how big a pain it can be to remove a multipath problem--usually get one channel at the expense of others...
Tom

Tom, the DB2 is on the roof of the house facing north toward the towers. The house is brick. I've been tweaking it left, right, up and down. Still trying to find that magic sweet spot. Its annoying to have basically one station be the problem. Any way around multipath problems?

And back to the H20 question. If anyone knows if its better at OTA than the H20...let us know...

Proc,

I was afraid I was preaching to another preacher. Sorry 'bout that.

Have you tried an FM trap? I've heard that works in some cases.

Aside from that, I sure don't know. We've left the realm of "known" for that of magic. Good luck.

Cheers,
Tom

damaged said:
Maybe you can have your buddy bring over his receiver, like you said, or if he doesn't want to do that, bring yours to his home, and see if you see any difference, if his works great at your home (or yours works crappy at his home), then you know it's the receiver, if his has the same issues hooked up to your wiring (or yours is perfect at his home), then you know it's in the wiring, the buildings around you, or some other non-receiver factor. If you try yours at his home, and it works great, try and see if he has any attenuators etc in the ota line, maybe he has one and didn't think of mentioning it, also make note of how many splits are off of it (if any) and the approx length compared to your setup, if you have any splitters (or diplexors if applicable) for your OTA, that too can cause many issues, if they are defective or cheapos.

Very good tips, I would do what damaged mentioned :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)