H20 Interactive (not HR20) CE release 3/2 & 3/3

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jpn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 2, 2005
This posted on DBSTalk today... Please read Earl's thread for details

There will be a Cutting Edge Release for the *H20* NON-DVR.
This release does include interactive features.
*EXTREMELY IMPORTANT INFORMATION* is in the announcement thread.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=81338
Download Window:
Saturday March 3, 2007 11:00PM - 2:30AM EST
Sunday March 4, 2007 11:00PM - 2:30AM EST
Again... Critical Important Information in the announcement thread.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=81338

This posted on DBSTalk today... Please read Earl's thread for details

There will be a Cutting Edge Release for the *H20* NON-DVR.
This release does include interactive features.
*EXTREMELY IMPORTANT INFORMATION* is in the announcement thread.
--------------------------------
He ain't kidding here folkes...this "Beta" release has the capability of making
a "brick" out of your H-20.
Here is what Earl says.............
----------------------------------------------------
"H20 - CE07061 - 0x1082 Announcement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:This is for the H20 - NON-DVR
Again: This is NOT a CE release for the HR20, this is for the H20...

----------------------------------------------------------------
H20 - CE07061
H20-100 Version: 0x1082
H20-600 Version: 0x1082

Window of opportunity to download:
Saturday; March 3, 2007 11PM - 2:30AM EST
Sunday; March 4, 2007 11PM - 2:30AM EST
Time and availability subject to change

95% probability... as always, anything can change at the last minute.

Warnings!!!!
-) Be sure you read and understand what the Cutting Edge is about: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=79021. If you are not sure... then don't download the CE
-) This is a MAJOR upgrade for the H20. And this CE is not to be taken lightly. If you decide to download this CE, without DirecTV's help... It is ONE WAY.

Let me explain that again:
While DirecTV has tested this version significantly and are confident it will not "brick" your box, there is always that "chance". BUT, unlike the HR20 CE's so far... This update is so significant to the system... You are highligh recommended NOT to roll yourself back to the previous version. DON'T TRY IT or you may VERY likely BRICK your H20

AGAIN... I can't stress it enough... With this CE for the H20... ONEWAY ticket.

IF... there are significant issues found.. DirecTV will fix them and get another CE version out as quick as possible.

--------------------------------------
What this CE contains:

New Feature: Interactive capabilities

There are other things that are updated with the system... but I don't have the details... but primarily, this release is for Interactive capabilities.

Some known issues:
-) After the download, the H20 will default back to 480i resolution. You will have to set your resolution back to where you had it prior to the update
-) The signal meter for the 99 degree SAT, does not work properly... however if you are getting your HD Locals... you are receiving the signal
-) If you tune to channel 100... you will get an INCORRECT ISSUE

-------------------------------------

Again... Sorry to have to repeat it, but it is significant.

ONE WAY UPGRADE
If you have any reservations... I would wait.
DO NOT attempt to go back to the previous version.

Report your issues in the appropriate threads...

-------------------------------------

Another Note
If anyone out there decides to "spread the word" about this or any other CE version.
PLEASE !!!!! Include a link back to this thread.
As I have seen some of the "announcement posts" on other forum boards... and all the disclaimers and warnings, are not always there.

They are just as important as the opportunity..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those of you that are going to download the CE for the H-20, remember Normally when D* does a CE for the HR20-700, after they have enough info and feedback, they generally will load it to all HR20-700's.
That said, if your not 100 % sure about downloading this update (H-20) thay may send it to you once they have enough feedback, so don't think that IF you don't do this that you will never see these features, they will eventually go to the rest once everything if verified.

Any upgrades coming for the H-10 ?

Jimbo

I can't believe nobody replied yet!! Here's the deal with 0x1082 on my H20-100.

- Interactive enabled.

- Redesigned guide. Essentially the same and yes, you do still have to press "Guide" twice, but the blue is much richer and fonts are cleaner. Scrolling by page is now animated as in prior versions.

- Slowed system response. Each key press takes longer than it did with the previous version.

- Improved signal meter numbers. My numbers on 101 transponder 1 for example went from 85 in the previous version to 95 in this one. All of the transponders reported much higher numbers, more accurately reflecting how the dish is peaked.

- Lost IR/RF combined functionality. In the previous version, you could set the receiver to RF mode, but an IR remote would work at the same time. I found this usefull for my Sony Remote Commander, as it only supports IR. I would use the RF DirecTV remotes to control the receiver when I needed to from other rooms. That's gone and now it's one or the other.

Hiccups during installation

- Progress slowed at 97% and it took about as long to get the last 3% as it did the first 97%.

- Receiver reset resolution to 480i, as reported. A quick press of the "Format" button returns to 1080i and no menu changes are necessary.

- Favorite channels reset to "All Channels." Personalized lists were still present and just needed to be selected.

That's about all I noticed, but all in all, I think it was a good upgrade. I will really miss the combined remote functionality, though.

Folks, including myself, have lost their MPEG4 (99/103) channels, H20 says multiswitch error after the upgrade. So if you count on MPEG4 for anything you might want to hold off since you can't revert back to a prior release, this is a one way upgrade.

This fixed some of my ota problems but I also lost the mpeg4. If I had to do over probably wouldn't.
--------
I have read on other boards, that this version resets your box to a 3 LNB setup.
Some have suggested that redoing your set-up to a 5LNB will restore the MPEG4
locals....I cannot verify as I don't have a H-20.

--------
I have read on other boards, that this version resets your box to a 3 LNB setup.
Some have suggested that redoing your set-up to a 5LNB will restore the MPEG4
locals....I cannot verify as I don't have a H-20.

No good, did a complete reset of the box, starting all over, still says switch error.

-------------------
In that case, I would wait for D* to release another CE version...do not
try to revert to another version...it could "brick' your box... D* gets constant feedback from this forum...... http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=81405

I had no plans to, just saying that a complete reset doesn't fix it. If this was a 'main' STB I'd probably would have taken a pass on it since the announcement said no fall back, but since it's in the bedroom I really had nothing to loose if it broke.

ok for me

I did the update and at least from my experience it did not reset the system to 3LNB, mine stayed at 5LNB. I also did not loose the choice between RF and IR remote - I did have to change it to IR and then change it back to RF but once done all was well with RF. I did not lose 99/103 either.

I downloaded the update Saturday night into Sunday morning (just after midnight).

Observations:

-It took about 25 minutes
-It stayed at 99% for about 10 minutes
-Fonts are larger and bolder.
-Menu is much faster (I have the formely "slow" H20-600)
-Interactivity (the "Active" button) works.
-The red button works now on the mix channels.
-I had to rescan in my local OTA channels at the -1 (2-1, 4-1, 7-1, etc.) were gone.
-MPEG4 locals are still coming in (I know some had lost MPEG4 locals from 99/103).

How do I go about getting my H20 updated? I would love to have the Interactive Channel ability. Works great on my HR-20.

How do I go about getting my H20 updated? I would love to have the Interactive Channel ability. Works great on my HR-20.

Well, you could just wait until D* has all the bug worked out and they'll just update your box automatically.

However, if you want to try an early release level of code go to http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=77688 and sign up for a notification when the next cutting edge software release is available. Be sure to read all the rules about cutting edge releases before doing it though so you know what you're getting into.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)