D11 outage 2/27/2024 (Resolved on 2/28)

i wonder if this will lead to DirecTV taking a page out Dish's playbook and phase out SD duplicates for channels already on DirecTV in HD to insure that they have enough bandwidth to move channels on the affected satellite onto other satellites in the DirecTV satellite fleet.
The problem is, with that long list of local markets that are affected by this spot-beam sat issue, phasing out SD dupes likely still isn't going to help finding enough bandwidth for all those local markets, since the vast majority are already ONLY in HD, AND there is no other "spot beam" capacity available, per an earlier post.

99(cb) slowly coming back.

Attachments

• 20240228_063510.jpg
    20240228_063510.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 85
Birmingham ~6:20 this AM
Overcast with pending rain but partial recovery of 99cb

Attachments

• 99ca SS 2_28_2024_IMG_3754.jpg
    99ca SS 2_28_2024_IMG_3754.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 99cb SS 2_28_2024_IMG_3753.jpg
    99cb SS 2_28_2024_IMG_3753.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
The 99cb TPNs are back to full strength (minus TPNs 2, 4 and 5 which no longer have any channels mapped to them)

The rest of D11's 99s TPNs have returned too

They still need to fix NFL Network, Newsnation and FBN being stuck in PPV mode

For those who don't check the TPN thread, this is what they did last night to restore some of the channels:
CBSwHD, NBCwHD, ABCwHD, FOXeHD, MGM moved to D10/TPN 13 (previously had a bunch of engineering records)
CBSeHD, NBCeHD, ABCeHD, FOXwHD, NEWSMXH moved to D12/TPN 23 (previously vacant)
NFLHD, NwsNnHD, FBNHD, UNIeHD and OUTHD replaced some CINEHD/Sports channels on D14/TPN 12 (They forgot to prevent some of them from automatically reverting to PPV mode)
Other D11 channels like WeHD and some of the CINEHD/sports channels moved to their former D11 TPNs

Well hopefully they give us something because of this. Credit would be great, but free premiums, sports pack, or OOM sports would be better.
The most I can see them giving is a free PPV movie worth $4.99, or a small $5-$10 credit. Considering that locals and some national channels were affected, the entire service itself was not deemed offline.

Glad to see they have it back online, will be interesting to see if the lost three transponders or if they can further recover.

As the satellites age this will get interesting, they do not plan to add further replacements. The closer we get to 2030 they may have to make decisions to remove channels from the platform. Losing spot beams would make tough calls on local markets.

So related to this topic...I'm confused about how the sat signal meters work on a DirecTV receiver. When D11 died, I could obviously see that all the x-ponders on 99cb were 0's...but since D11 also has spot beams, where are those signals shown? Are those then shown on the 99s meter selection? And what about D14's spot beams; are those ALSO shown on the 99s meter selection?

If this is all correct, then I would assume this is how things work on the 103 constellation of sats, correct?

So related to this topic...I'm confused about how the sat signal meters work on a DirecTV receiver. When D11 died, I could obviously see that all the x-ponders on 99cb were 0's...but since D11 also has spot beams, where are those signals shown? Are those then shown on the 99s meter selection? And what about D14's spot beams; are those ALSO shown on the 99s meter selection?

If this is all correct, then I would assume this is how things work on the 103 constellation of sats, correct?
See info here:

99s does show spotbeam Signal Strength but evety area is different due to overlapping spots.
You would have to have your "baseline" readings to known what is missing,
Your specfic transponder for HD LILs can be found in these Data Sets

Doctor j