H20 Replacement model

Status
Please reply by conversation.

OneBigJedi

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Any news from DTV at CES about a replacement IRD coming out this year? The H20-600 has so many problems, they really need a NEW model to replace it.

Maybe you can get an H20-1000. Those seem to be fine.

Do you mean H20-100 ? I had a H20-600 replaced with a H20-100, and it's a big improvement. Cooler, more stable, and the guide is much faster.

Do you mean H20-100 ? I had a H20-600 replaced with a H20-100, and it's a big improvement. Cooler, more stable, and the guide is much faster.

All true, except the ota tuner is not as good, which isn't necessarily a problem.

Yeah the H20-600 reaches new heights in suckiness! Nonstop reboots (even with supplemental cooling) terrible RF remote reception, slow, cranky, in all an utter POS.

I'm waiting to replace mine with the HR 20, but that one also seems to have enormous teething probs... :(

Yeah the H20-600 reaches new heights in suckiness! Nonstop reboots (even with supplemental cooling) terrible RF remote reception, slow, cranky, in all an utter POS.

I'm waiting to replace mine with the HR 20, but that one also seems to have enormous teething probs... :(

I'm not so sure about that. Most of the people that post about it are the ones having problems, so it's hard to accurately gauge how many really have touble with it.

Hey I found a NEW glitch in my H20-600! It won't hold the favorites list through the multiple reboots, and when it comes back all that's visible is the last channel used! LMAO! So, favorites=unuseable! unreal!

I've had an H20-600 for a couple of months and it has had no problems or reboots so far. It is very cool in the room where it is located, however.

For whoever asked, RCA makes the 100 model, and the concensus is that there are fewer problems with that model.

It has been buggy, but it has a MUCH better tuner than the H20-100. That is a big issue for some people.

I have a H20-100. I got it last July and have had zero problems and, for me, the OTA Tuner is far superior to the HR10. This is the tuner that I was saying in another threat gives me all the Raleigh-Durham and Greensboro HD locals OTA with no pixelation in any weather. From the souds of it, if I had a H20-600, I might be able to get HD locals from Charlotte too...LOL

I wish they would have made an H20-100 with the LG chipset in it.

I'd like to see them get the interactive features working on the H20. I've had this box for a year now and it still isn't interactive. Heck, my ancient D10, standard definition box hooked up to a 13-inch TV in the garage is fully interactive.

I'm not so sure about that. Most of the people that post about it are the ones having problems, so it's hard to accurately gauge how many really have touble with it.

I was about to give up on the H20 altogether if it weren't for the 100...

My first 600 was fine (if not unquestionably boiling hot) for about 3 months, then finally started resetting itself every other hour. Returned it to DirecTV for a brand new 100, have had no problems at all since installing it in December.

My second 600 was for our other HDTV set -- and was a POS right out of the box. Got it in January, and experienced constant resetting issues and then a "please insert a valid access card" notice, all within 3 days of setting it up. Returned it to DirecTV for a refurbed 100, which has been absolutely letter-perfect since installing it.

From my experience and what I've read on the majority of forums, I'd say the 600 is almost unequivocally a pile of garbage. Even for those who have a working one, they run way too hot and have glitches. The 100's guide is five times faster, the unit is much cooler, and I'd recommend to anyone to have your horrible 600 sent back and demand a 100! :)

Folks do say the 100's OTA tuner isn't as strong, but from where I live (southern RI, able to get Providence and some Boston stations), the only time I notice the difference is on "fringe" stations that I don't ordinarily get perfectly all the time anyway. The Boston (long distance) channels that DO come in fine are just as strong on the 100 as the 600 from my experience. And as far as the HDMI issue goes, I didn't like the HDMI appearance via the 600 either. The component looks just fine so that to me is not a dealbreaker either, and both of my TVs are Samsung (one is an LCD, the other a DLP).

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts